1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

50% win rate happens when you're at the appropriate Infamy

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Spinners71, 19 Mar 2018.

1. Spinners71

Spinners71 Well-Known Member

Can we all agree to make the following language change:

Instead of saying something like "This game forces you to be at 50%..."
    It would be more accurate to say "This game allows you to be at 50%..."

It's not good when someone is perpetually under-ranked and wins all their games...
    It's not good when someone is perpetually over-ranked and loses all their games...

Matchmaking helps you find your appropriate rank, so your games are "fair" and so you (and everyone else who is properly ranked) can win a "fair" (50%) amount.

2. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

Honestly, I've only ever seen "force" / "forces" used by people who didn't understand infamy and matchmaking. You are correct.

3. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anybody whinging about being forced to a 50% win rate for some time now, it's about time somebody dredged it up..

Kitterini likes this.
  4. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

That's a great thread! :D

5. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

I've been a big proponent that the matchmaking is actually working well in Battle Bay for a long time...

The only current issue that I've seen with it is the inclusion of ship Mk making the jump from Mk5 to Mk6 extremely difficult. I just went to Mk6 on my Enforcer and I didn't believe anyone when they said you'd lose infamy. I have actually gained infamy solely because my gear was being built for Mk6 (traded T3 epic bandage for T4 epic big shield), but I can definitely tell that the matchmaking has put me in harder games because I'm weighed more heavily now. I'm not sure if I like the inclusion of ship Mk in the matchmaking or not. I understand why it would be used, but if infamy is properly calculated then it seems like a superfluous and artificial addition that actually punishes ship upgrading.

Any-who... I do agree with your OP. Having a matchmaking that brings everybody to 50% should be the ultimate goal of any multiplayer game.

6. Spinners71

The reason they included ship-level in the matchmaking was to help prevent matches where mk1-2 has to fight against mk4-5.
    But, it's just not the right tool to solve the issue. It's like trying to use a long-sword to perform surgery.

A far more appropriate solution (imo) would have been the infamy floors, where each mk level cannot fall below a certain Infamy:
    - mk 1 = no floor
    - mk 2 = no floor
    - mk 3 = 250
    - mk 4 = 650
    - mk 5 = 1100
    - mk 6 = 1600
    (for more on this, see: https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/steep-fall-in-infamy.17219/page-2#post-108768)

7. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

If you get high enough as a Mk1-2, you'll still face Mk5s. I'm almost exclusively fighting them on my mini account. Even a rare Mk6 now and again.

WarCream and FearsomeChicken like this.
  8. Spinners71

I don't necessarily see that as a problem though, because compared to most mk2's, you're probably very high on the skill curve. What these floors should hopefully prevent is having mk4-6 from being able to fall low enough to mingle with "average" or new players splashing around in mk1-3.

CaffeinatedChris likes this.
  9. fr4nk1yn

fr4nk1yn Well-Known Member

All fine and dandy but it tends to see saw certain people, like me on occasion.

10. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

Since when is this included? Are you sure about this?

11. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Student
    It's funny when you see posts from people pointing to everyone's 50% winrate as evidence that "rovio is rigging matches for you to lose!". Is it that hard to understand how infamy works xD

Kitterini and LimeOnMars like this.
  12. Crashedup

Crashedup Well-Known Member

Yeah current mm takes ships mk in account too in addition to Infamy.
    PS: I was wondering how long will it take you to hit forums ;)
    Welcome back

Miathan likes this.
  13. AVID

AVID Well-Known Member

YOUR WINS AND LOOS RATIO ALWAYS BTWN 50 TO 55%

14. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Judging by these forums it is very hard to understand yes :)