1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

User Interface Improvement Suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Samwise, 16 Mar 2018.

1. Samwise

Samwise Active Member

UPDATE 3/26 - Big thanks to Rovio for including a few of these items in the latest update, I've updated the post where applicable. I'd just note for the devs that I'm continuing to update this list with other suggestions (see green text below), so hopefully this continues to be a helpful resource for UI suggestions.

---

Ok apologies if there's a recent thread on this topic, but I couldn't find one, and in any event there have been a lot of UI changes recently so I figure it's a good time to talk about it regardless. I've highlighted issues below which have been nagging at me for a long time. I've tried to keep my comments focused on UI issues only.

If there are any other suggestions please add them in the comments and I'll update this post so it's a comprehensive list. I've loved a lot of the recent UI changes (especially next battle!) but there is a lot of room for improvement. Help us out Rovio!!!

1. REPLAYS.
    • This is the big one, and I suspect it's already in the works, but the replay feature really, really, really, really, really needs an update.
      • You need to be able to pause and rewind/skip to a selected time of the battle. I do not watch most of my guild mates' replays for this reason. Without these features replays are like 5% as fun as they should be. This is a critical matter that would make an enormous difference for community, youtube highlights, game promotion, etc.
      • In the replay you should be able to toggle seeing the aiming recticle of the player you're watching. One reason I absolutely love livestreams and replays from players like Bittersteel is that when you can see the aiming it gives you such a better insight into the skill of the player. It makes the replay a lot more informative and exciting.
    • We need to be able to copy/past replay links to other places than guild chat. It's fine if you want to limit players' ability to post these to VIP or other global chat channels, but I should be able to send it by DM to a friend. Also, you could add a dedicated channel for people to share replays.
    • You should be able to directly export replays (or snippets) to youtube. CATS and other games do this, and BB really needs this feature.
    • This is more of a comment on chat vs replays, but you should be able to add reactions to replays. That way you can see the love for highly popular replays in game. Chat in general is extremely limited by lack of emojis and other functionality.

2. KEEPING TRACK OF WHAT YOUR FLEETMATE IS DOING
    • Fleetmate waiting should be visible from ALL points of the UI, not just the main screen. Sometimes my fleetmate isn't ready, so I go to tinker with my ship, guild quests, etc., and I can't see whether they're waiting for me or not.
    • After a battle, you should be notified whether your fleetmate has exited the battle, returned to bay, is ready for next battle, etc.
    • [EDITED 3/26] Currently, the only way to fleet with a guildmate is to tap on their name in the private chat screen. You should be able to fleet with your guildmate from ANY location within the UI, including guild chat, VIP, user profile, guild profile, etc.
    • Bottom line - I should always know what my fleetmate is up to!
    3. ITEM INFORMATION
    • The following information should be displayed on each item:
      • Projectile speed for mortars/missiles/grenades/repair box
      • Critical chance for explosive cannon [EDITED 3/23: Thanks Rovio!] and repair box
      • Critical damage for cannons and repair box
      • Minimum range for torpedoes
      • [EDITED 3/22] Type of damage (i.e. area vs. point damage). In some instances these attributes are counterintuitive. For example, explosive cannon does not appear to benefit from point damage crew training. Also, do fire weapons benefit from area damage bonus? As an alternative this information could be displayed on crew training tab where appropriate.
    • Odds for parts/cells/item pieces should be shown for scrapping items as well as crates. [EDITED 3/19] Also, odds for daily reward crates should be shown as well.
    • This isn't really information, but why can you fit a range perk on a repair bolt?! [EDITED 3/19 - Thank you KilledWhale for fixing this bug!]
    • [EDITED 3/19] Buttons to sell perks and buttons to scrap items need to be in the same place in their respective dialog boxes. It's incredibly annoying to be clearing inventory after a guild raffle and after I've sold some perks I accidentally upgrade an uncommon or common item by mistake.
    4. CREW TRAINING
    • Information regarding time, sugar cost, and exp should be shown for all future upgrades when you click on them, not just for the next available upgrade.
    5. HISTORICAL STATISTICS
    • I'm sure I'm not the only one who has LOVED seeing the item damage information that's available in the item achievement section. It's incredibly useful. There needs to be a history tab in the main menu that shows
      • Win rate by map
      • Win rate by boat
      • Win rate fleeting vs. not
      • Total damage for each item
      • Avg damage per battle for each item
      • Infamy over time
    • [EDITED 3/19] Amount healed by bandages should be displayed in the battle results screen and you should be able to track average amount healed over time. This makes it much easier to compare value of the item vs shield.
    6. GUILD
    • You should be able to flip to prior completed boards to see quests and individual contributions
    • [EDITED 3/21] You should be notified of completion of guild quests without having to "exit to bay" in between matches each time to check whether a quest is complete
    7. OTHER
    • Chat should not interfere with queuing for battle. Maybe this is just an android problem, because when I use iOS I'm able to chat freely even while waiting for a battle to begin. When I try to type anything on android, however, it kicks me out of the ready for battle screen.
    • Discrepancies between infamy gained/loss shown on the battle results page vs battle log should be resolved. Right now immediately after EVERY battle it shows a 24 infamy gain or loss, and it's only when you go to the battle log do you see the true statistic.
    • You should be able to toggle vertical automatic targeting [EDITED 3/22] Now included in latest update, thanks Rovio!
    • [EDITED 3/19] You should be able to see how many people are spectating the game and who (including custom games).

Last edited: 26 Mar 2018
  2. HAPPY SITHSHA

HAPPY SITHSHA Well-Known Member

I like all of these,especially the replays:):):)

Nikkie!, The Otherguy and PastelPiku like this.
  3. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Good golly that's a load of UI/UX tweaks. I'll get some dev eyes on this, these are fantastic suggestions and in a well-organized fashion!

4. The Grim Repair

The Grim Repair Community Manager

Hey @Samwise - thank you very much those are exactly the suggestions we are looking for!

I shared it with our developers already and they really appreciated your well thought through list. We will review what we can do in the upcoming weeks / months easily or what might take a bit longer. Thank you again from the team!

5. Samwise

Samwise Active Member

Wow thanks guys for the quick response. If I could ask for just one thing it would be REPLAY IMPROVEMENTS :):):):):):)
    This game is amazing and better replays = more people hearing about the game!

6. Zeus

Zeus Developer

QA Lead
  7. #CK

#CK Active Member

drone pilot
    nice post , very detail , i would love to see this suggestion become real , especially the replay new fuction .

additional suggestion from me , no 5. HISTORICAL STATISTICS
    i want to see again , how many heal point of my bandage , since i'm using it on my mk6 shooter , it was displayed at first , but recently it got dissapear , dunno why
    with that data i can see how much effective are my bandage compare to using small shield .

thx

HAPPY SITHSHA, 5am-0 and PastelPiku like this.
  8. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    3:47 I'm sure you're having trouble reading this, and I'm having trouble writing this.
    3:46 It feels really awkward.
    3:46 So when you're trying to catch up on guild chat
    3:45 When you post a new message, it goes on top instead of on the bottom.
    3:44 Don't forget about how text goes backwards like this.

NathanaelK and Mr. Chompers like this.
  9. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    Even the forums does this right. Text scrolls downward, so why do my eyes have to go up and down to read messages in order.

Samwise likes this.
  10. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I, for one, am too used to reading manga to feel the change in text movement lol.

With regards to suggestions, this is kinda cosmetic, but can we see how many players are spectating us fighting?

Nikkie!, HAPPY SITHSHA and PastelPiku like this.
  11. Disguised

Disguised Well-Known Member

This is a real problem for me currently. Thanks for mentioning it ;)

PastelPiku likes this.
  12. HAPPY SITHSHA

HAPPY SITHSHA Well-Known Member

Add a new feature to share our replays to our friends also.Nowadays,we can share replays to our guild only.We must share our best Battle moments with our friends also,isn't it,guys?:):):)

Last edited: 18 Mar 2018
    Nikkie!, The Otherguy and PastelPiku like this.
  13. Jared

Jared Member

Not sure if this has been said but a good idea for the replays would be to implement a storage type system to keep certain battle replays that a user decides to save for whatever reason without having to store the battle replay code and view it that way or recording it with on screen recording options.

At the same time, it would be nice to be able to crop and or edit replays so for example; you could share a 30 second clip highlighting the moment you wanted to show others without posting full replay and having to make people watch the entire battle and find it themselves. Adding a 1/2 x speed // 2x speed & 4x speed would be another great feature while reviewing a replay. As stated in original post. Might also be useful feature for people who make youtube videos or personal compilations etc.

HAPPY SITHSHA and PastelPiku like this.
  14. KilledWhale

KilledWhale Developer

Because of a bug ;). You also see in the item info that repair bolt has a range of 3 units which isn't true...
    Found the cause and fixed it so the fix should be coming in the next update :)

15. Samwise

Samwise Active Member

This is a good observation (hadn't noticed before) but since it's more purely aesthetic and not functional I'm not adding it to the master list.

Mr. Chompers and PastelPiku like this.
  16. Samwise

Samwise Active Member

Hey folks thanks for your added suggestions! I've added several of these to my original post (as well as a few additional observations of my own) and I will continue updating as appropriate. Thanks to the devs for their attention to this!

Mr. Chompers and PastelPiku like this.
  17. DragonLegend

DragonLegend Well-Known Member

Was wondering if Next Update is near..:D

18. Samwise

Samwise Active Member

Bumping this thread. I've updated the original post to acknowledge fixes implemented in the recent patch, and other items which have been added in the last week. Additional ideas are welcome!

Mr. Chompers and The Otherguy like this.
  19. DragonLegend

DragonLegend Well-Known Member

Yeah...it was added once then removed don't know why.

20. Samwise

Samwise Active Member

I think they didn't want self-healing with bandage to count for battle contributions (for calculating star awards) but in my opinion they should still display it.