1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

How does the Guild-matching system in the guild wars work?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by NaveFantasma, 25 Nov 2017.

1. Maxpuma

Maxpuma Member

@Kitterini, very bad suggestion.

@Miika, I think it's not wisely to make matchmaking rivalries based on "last season completed quests", my guild has 46k infamy and we've been paired with 60k guilds since update. Of course we wont be able to compete with them especially on higher boards, as their average damage per battle/weapon is much higher since following reasons:
    - average player level higher
    - average infamy higher
    - average items level is higher
    Please review rivalry matchmaking system ASAP. I really playing much less b/c of that and kinda losing my interest to the game, pretty sure its not just me.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2018
  2. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Hehe we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm a big fan of the changes made (even more so if they were clever enough to look at average quests rather than last weeks performance only).

This is a drastic step in the right direction and places everyone in meaningful rivalries. I can fully understand the discontent from the highly active low infamy guilds that farmed winstreaks before, it must suck having to combat guilds with equal questing abilities now.

Consider these questions;
    1. Which is the best metric for measuring ability to quest?
    a. Quests completed.
    b. Infamy.
    (Hint: its not b).

2. Whats the most meaningful matchup?
    a. 6 guilds that all complete around 50 quests.
    b. 6 guilds that compete respectably 70, 55, 48, 48, 27 and 3 quests.

I'm glad we are facing off against equal opponents and have agency towards deciding our rivalry position. Before I could predict our end position immediatly, thats not very engaging gameplay (at least in my view).

Rainbow Warrior likes this.
  3. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I'm actually not sure what a rivalry is supposed to be... Just a mechanism to make people work harder on quests? Considering quests pay more than the rivalry itself for a fairly active guild, the purpose of the rivalry is almost lost. Should it be worth more than the quests? No... that would just introduce even more manipulation than has been done already. The answer to that will offer the proper matchup algorithm.

IMO a Rivalry should involve more, like actual direct matches between guilds... yes it is a much more complex system, but far more meaningful. Due to this I actually preferred the rivalry matchups prior to the last update than matching on guild quests the prior season because the rewards are not given relative to the effort involved... 1 quest guild can get 42k win, same as a 50 quest guild... that just feels wrong in every way.

4. Maxpuma

Maxpuma Member

Rivalry must be fair and infamy so far is the best option to pick comparable guild for rivalry. Why my guild should depend on someones guild activity? If some guilds with same infamy are less active than mine its not ours problem.

5. Kitterini

Rivalries should be fair, agreed fully! I disagree if you hereby mean that it makes sense to match 70guild quests Vs 48quest and 5quest guilds.

I cant really follow how matching 6 guilds that all complete around the same number of quests is unfair. Although I can understand why this change is unwanted for the guilds that were used to winning every week.

Last edited: 2 Mar 2018
    Stelmo likes this.
  6. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

Gear, rank, activity and spending all play a role in determining the number of quests a guild can complete.
    I reckon the new update gives each rivalry a much closer resemblance to its namesake.
    Three thumbs up.

Kitterini likes this.
  7. roytchai

roytchai Member

I have explained enough, but no more money spent on Battle Bay until this new rivalry match making is fixed. It’s unfair.

8. Jeff's Jammers

Jeff's Jammers New Member

It most def is not about infamy. My Guild has highest ranks up to 1200-1300. Many of us are new to the game. Because we have done well in previous Quests we are now pitted against Guilds in 3k-4K infamy range. Absolutely broken matching system. How can Rovio expect this potentially great game to be a serious game that people will trust, and invest money and time into, with such broken scoring and matching systems?

roytchai likes this.
  9. Jeff's Jammers

Right ... (Insert fart noise here) You're sounding like a Rovio employee.

roytchai likes this.
  10. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

No I sound like somebody who is 100% f2p in a top tier f2p guild.
    Before this update we were frequently matched against all the other top guilds, many of whom never play a match without a superboost on.
    Now instead of a guaranteed bottom spot we can actually have a go at these rivalries.

Kitterini likes this.
  11. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    That was before the update lol.

12. Kitterini

I know man. Its totally unfair that guilds which complete the same number of quests are pitted against eachother. Outragerous!

13. Jeff's Jammers

You totally miss the point with your sarcastic reply! It's impossible for a newer team to have the hit power, and thus the potential to score as much as higher level Guilds of players that have been at this longer. The reward for us newer players that put more energy into Questing than average Guilds at our level do, is to be pitted against increasingly (and I mean rapidly increasing) disparate Guild levels with considersbly more time at play, and higher infamy.
    So, granted, a team could be a bunch of floaters or sucky players, been at it for a long time and get to be pitted agains noobs if Rivalry matching were only about infamy, but that not what I'm advocating. Time that players have had since the inception of their account should be a prime factor in creating an equation for fair Rivalry matching. A pretty easy fix actually.

14. Tristan7

Tristan7 Member

Student

15. Jeff's Jammers

16. Jeff's Jammers

Absolutely right! I agree 100% My Guild is in the same position now. We worked our a$$es off to win our Rivalries and since the upgrade have been rewarded with competing with Guilds that have 3X our infamy lvl, and, I can only guess how much more time in-game than our new Guild. I have been playing for less than two months and am pitted against players with, most likely, 10X that time in-game.
    And the people posting the sarcastic replies ... are most likely the ones that have benefitted from this change and are in no way put into the position we are.

Falcon14 likes this.
  17. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

Is this even possible? This is a pay-to-win game. At the top you are ALWAYS going to be fighting the whales. In fact, that is your sole purpose in life as a F2P player... to be whale food. As a F2P, I am the reason some whale spends tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars... he wants to be able to wafflestomp me and get some cheap thrills. He's certainly not spending that money so he can get into a fair fight.

18. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

It's not the exclusion of infamy in the matchmaking that's at issue... what's at issue is the purpose of a rivalry. Most of us just want the extra tokens just like we want the extra battle rewards. The problem is those extra tokens are elusive because the harder we work, the more pearls we spend on boosts, will bring tougher rivalries that will inevitably result in less tokens for more effort. Not more tokens for tougher rivalries, but less tokens....a reverse incentive. This is why the rivalry system is broken, nothing else.

Falcon14 likes this.