1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

The new way they pick rivalries promotes tanking

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Pugs117, 23 Feb 2018.

1. Trium

Trium Active Member

I have already explained everything in this and neighbour thread. You either. We have already discussed it few times.
    I don't see a reason to start it over, seriously

It is okay when people can't accept each others arguments, so I don't care much

roytchai likes this.
  2. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    Lol chill out dude, people are gonna disagree. Both of you have good points, honestly. Keep it friendly.

Trium likes this.
  3. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

I'll take this as a concession that you cannot refute my argument.

Dmg don likes this.
  4. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

I'm guessing this is the post that you believe is his "good point".

Rewards from quests and rewards from rivalry are not separated. You cannot get rewards from rivalry without rewards from quests. And vice versa.

Therefore, if you do zero quests and if you do 100 quests, the rewards from the rivalry will be very different.

I'm fine with the argument that we want to match the guilds based on quests completed and infamy, but it is completely false to say that all of the rewards are the same no matter how many quests you complete.

5. PastelPiku

Security
    He meant the rewards from the rivalry itself. 1st place is 42k regardless of how many quests you do. The tokens you get from quests themselves are not relevant to his argument.

I say you both have good points because I agree that more quests should mean more from the rivalry, since you beat a more elite guild. And I also agree that in the end, it's better to do more quests regardless.

Pugs117 and Trium like this.
  6. Trium

Trium Active Member

Sorry, man, but I decided to hide your posts. It is not interesting for me to read them, and you can't accept it with honour, like a real man should do ;)

Here is how the forum looks for me now, I like it.

[​IMG]

7. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

This is like playing tennis with a monkey that keeps catching the ball and throwing his own poo back at me.

I'd like for someone to explain how the rewards from the quests and the end-of-rivalry rewards are able to be separated. How do you win a rivalry without doing quests?

Dmg don likes this.
  8. PastelPiku

Security
    Think of it like the League rewards. 1st place for Nightmare is much better than 1st place for Challenger. This is true, despite the fact that you also get more rewards per battle. The same should be true about the rivalries. The rivalry reward should be better in higher level rivalries, despite the fact that you get more rewards from doing more quests.

9. Mr. Aussie

Mr. Aussie Well-Known Member

I don't know if this was said because it's 1:50 am and I'm not back reading...
    But the fact is if you complete just 3 boards, you get over 60k tokens from the boards alone. If you really wanna be so lazy and do no quests for an easy win, you're shooting yourself in the foot. Fact is working your butt off will earn you more rewards then being lazy. Win or loose.

10. PastelPiku

Security
    I've seen screenshots in other threads proving that people are doing this anyway. Maybe it's beneficial in lower levels? It's just weird that the rivalry rewards themselves are static.
    Personally, I can't take a side in this. The only reason I'm here responding is because I understand the logic that both parties are giving and I'm trying to get everyone to be on the same page since there's a ridiculous amount of disagreement.
    Yes, you still get more rewards for playing more, regardless of what place you get in the rivalry.
    Yes, it's weird that the prize is 42k no matter how many quests you've done.

FearsomeChicken and Mr. Aussie like this.
  11. Mr. Aussie

Mr. Aussie Well-Known Member

I honestly don't care about those mini guilds ranked 30,000 doing one quest Lol.
    Just do your best and let the lazy fools do their thing...
    My guild, (The Southern Stars) hasn't had a problem. This rivalry is very close, all 6 of us. And so was the one before. (We're ranked 44 global)

Although for each board completed, 5-10k tokens should be added to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd end of rivalry reward.

Help I Cant Swim and PastelPiku like this.
  12. Capt Bags

Capt Bags New Member

Funny how nobody really sees the big picture. Which is this:

THIS UPDATE IS A ROVIO MONEY GRAB.

The rivalries are now based on what guilds spend the most money. By infusing more competition each week, they are encouraging all of the guilds that spend money to spend MORE money for the sake of competition.

I, for one, have cancelled my subscription because of this.

In NO way is this new rivalry system “fair”. When you have a guild ranked top 25 against a guild ranked 400, there is a HUGE disadvantage to the 400 guild. Higher infamy means better gear. Better gear makes it easier to complete the guild quests. Period. You can not argue this. It is fact.

We’re not talking about 3000 infamy vs 2500 infamy. We’re talking about 4500 infamy vs 1500 infamy. THIS is your current matching system. And it is terrible.

Rovio does not care about “fair”. They only care about filling their wallets.

Thanks for ruining the best part of this game, Rovio. I hope your money grab goes well. I, for one, will not be a part of it.

Subscription - CANCELLED.

Pugs117, Wezsh0T and JiminyKicket like this.
  13. PastelPiku

Security
    Hence, why I'm not picking a side. I don't care about winning the rivalry, I'm plenty satisfied with the quest rewards alone lol.

14. Shermanator

Shermanator Member

How do you get 42K prize without completing quests? First one to complete 0 quest?

Help I Cant Swim likes this.
  15. PastelPiku

Security
    Not 0, as many as they want. Inactive guilds are matched with other inactive guilds, so if you complete at least one quest you're guaranteed 42k tokens no matter what. Then they tank the next one and repeat. I assume this is only happening in lower levels, where 42k is a significant amount of their total tokens recieved during a rivalry. I doubt it's worth it, though.

16. JiminyKicket

JiminyKicket New Member

So Guild A does 48x the work, but only 3x the rewards? Is that what you call fair? Let me guess—your guild hasn’t been very competitive.

I like everything about the new update, except the matchmaking. It’s like putting a featherweight boxer against heavyweights just because the lighter boxer has been successful. It’s not done because it’s not a fair fight. Guilds should be matched based on potential, not on results. If infamy-dropping is a problem, then fix that problem. Don’t break an aspect that was working.

17. JiminyKicket

JiminyKicket New Member

The sad thing is that many overachieving guilds (i.e. guilds that were more inclined to spend money) will be turned off by this change and will stop spending. It’s not worth spending even more if you’re only going to be matched with guilds with even bigger, stronger players the next week. Even competitive players have a breaking point.

I love this game and I don’t mind Rovio trying to profit, but I think this is going to ostracize many of their biggest spenders. I’m not a big spender, but I will concede that big spenders are more important if we want the game to continue to improve (as it has).

Pugs117 and PastelPiku like this.
  18. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

My guild is definitely more competitive in the new format. We are mostly 2.5-3.5k infamy, but only have about 5 players that are P2P. We competed in the previous format, but most guilds at our infamy level were much heavier spenders. But we didn't mind losing to them, because they spent more money or played more, so they deserved to win.

I've stated elsewhere that guild matchmaking should be based on quests-completed AND infamy. People just keep making new threads about the same crap so all of the good responses are lost.

19. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I still don't understand why infamy needs to be a part of it when the contest measures quests completed and nothing else. Literally, nothing, else.

If you want infamy, it sounds like you want it used as a backstop for a more fair rivalry. In that you must believe that the current system incentivizes guild tanking to get to easier rivalries... which it does. It's not a huge incentive because the quests normally pay better than the wins, but because the effort required to complete more quests is exponential while the reward remains flat, it's a deterrent to trying harder every week.

20. JiminyKicket

JiminyKicket New Member

Yes, I want infamy as a backstop to a more fair matchup.
    But no, I do not believe that guild-tanking is incentivized in any meaningful way. Most players I know in competitive guilds want to win battles so that their contributions count. If anything, their infamy is already naturally lower because they are encouraged to use weapons that they normally wouldn’t and therefore lose more often than normal. My guild is ranked around 200-ish...maybe guild tanking is an issue at other levels but it’s not something we experience. Plus, if you tank infamy too low, the dreaded penalty zone will set you straight soon enough.

And the increased effort of completing harder quests is felt by all rivals, so it’s fair. Part of the thrill of competition is finishing first that week...it’s not all about the tokens.

Rivalry groupings should be based on potential, not outcomes. It’s like student population sizes in high school sports divisions, or age brackets in races, or weight classes in boxing. Don’t penalize guilds that overachieve! Infamy might be flawed, but it’s a more fair indicator of potential or opportunity.