1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Matchmaking

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by HARPO!, 21 Feb 2018.

1. HARPO!

HARPO! Well-Known Member

I’m a Performer! Television and Stage!
    I wanna know how the match making in this game works. Is it based off of infamy? Is it based off of league? Is it based off of mocks of ships?

2. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

Infamy then ship level

Ash KOT and HARPO! like this.
  3. Sevill

Sevill New Member

Infamy as a primary is no good. Just finished a battle where my team had a mk2 enforcer while the other team had 4 mk5 ships and one mk4. No way that match up is even. One hit by a torpedo and the enforcer is done. Ship level and strength should be primary.

4. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Then you would stay with a MK1 ship all the way to nightmare :D
    Also upgrading a ship would be a disadvantage as you would face tougher boats.
    It has to be a combination of the 2, although it doesn't help as the infamy is too easy to manipulate for easy fights.

5. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

It goes off infamy nearly exclusively. If it needs to sort beyond that it'll use the mark of the boat (but not the captain level or gear).

The devs persist in thinking that infamy reliably measures player skill when it does not. So any systems they base on that flawed assumption are going to be somewhat screwy.

6. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

So how would you prefer to see the matchmaking done?

7. Snapshot

I'd do matchmaking just as they do except I'd remove any arbitrary gear rules (like boat mark) and I'd remove the seal-clubbing penalty. What I'd fix is infamy itself not the systems which depend on it.

8. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Thats how it used to work, and everyone complained they wanted Rovio to change it to inlcude the ships MK level so they chanhed the algorithm.
    So it may be broken, but we only have ourselves to thank for that!

9. Snapshot

We're not discussing the same thing at all. You're discussing the match making system and I'm discussing incentives and rewards. This isn't complicated. Rovio has chosen to scale rewards based on captain level and fights based on infamy. So the optimum setup is to be a high level captain fighting against low infamy players (meaning I have low infamy myself). In other words, tanking is a design feature implemented by Rovio.

In any sphere of human endeavor, if you design the rules on way and the incentives another, the incentives win every time.

10. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

That's because this is a Matchmaking thread

11. Snapshot

Try to follow along. I know it's hard.
    • Rovio built the match-making sytsem almost entirely dependent on infamy
    • Infamy is corrupted by tanking
    • Tanking is driven by incentives built into the reward structure.
    Did that help?

12. HARPO!

HARPO! Well-Known Member

I’m a Performer! Television and Stage!
    What do you mean by tanking. Loosing infamy?

13. Snapshot

Yes. More specifically, according to Rovio's rules, "Not playing as hard as you are able"

That is the rule I am breaking and I'm trying to explain why I and others do it and also why it won't ever change.

14. Sevill

Sevill New Member

Then put a cap on infamy level based on ship size. MK1 can only reach X infamy level. In order to move up, they need to upgrade their ship. A mk2 ship battling with mk4 and 5 ships is a joke and a complete waste of time for a team of five more often than not.

That or you change the infamy point structure. The last man standing could lose less infamy than the first boat killed on the losing team. Make using skill to survive a bigger component of the game besides just winning and losing. Dropping 400 to 500 infamy at a time is very frustrating when you are teamed up with poor players. Suicide Speeders and Battle Fixers are two good examples of poor players.