1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

What are the rewards for higher infamy?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Snapshot, 19 Feb 2018.

1. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

I'm surprised you're able to hang in there as well are you can; with only 2336 health, it's probably a one-hit-kill if a decently powerful Blast or Explosive gets a lucky crit.

As other people have stated, the reward multiplier at higher infamy is a major incentive if you need those resources. For a good win I'm netting about 35K gold and 25K sugar.

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  2. Stonebanks

Stonebanks Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Snapshot, post: 102630, member: 15661" I wasn't really thrilled when I crossed into master and suddenly I started seeing M6 boats so I'm avoiding crossing the 1500 infamy line. Those fights are going to be a LOT harder. [/QUOTE]

Don't worry about that. Those mk6 are not skilled players so you will win easily ;)

Rainbow Warrior likes this.
  3. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

Perhaps that's my problem? I find the best gold & sugar rewards come from fighting down from my max. At my max I'm looking at a sea of mixed 5's and 6's in my M4 boat. Wins are most likely to be 4th and 5th place slots. If I play more casually I drop down a few hundred infamy and can get to the place where it's a random smattering of everything from M1-M5. From there I can simply Leroy Jenkins the unwinnable matches which makes them very quick and then work to get 2 and 3 star finishes on the matches which are somewhat competitive.

My sugar is routinely capped out so there's no perceived value in sugar. My gold normally runs somewhere close to the cap and I can easily get more if I want. So again, there's no perceived advantage to more gold. Parts is what I need and 300 parts for a top slot win isn't all that motivating.

insofar as "hanging in there", it hardly matters how many HP you have when you are this outmatched. If I upgraded my speeder to M5 which I'll be able to do in 2 hours what I'd have is a slower boat that could absorb one more hit. I'd probably swap my bandages for a big shield and that'd be about a wash. I'd get a tesla bolt which will be nice. In exchange I'll be fighting, I assume, many more M6 foes. All in all it's a substantial downgrade as many people have reported unless I'm able to make my M5 a fully equipped M5 right out of the gate. I'm targeting a baseline for gear of R40 or E30 to call it a reasonable M5.

Da Carronade King likes this.
  4. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

Every tanker who tries to justify his/ her behavior ignores the fact infamy is a result of skill + gear + boat + crew training. If you are more skilled than someone with better gear, you can reach higher infamy and you'd have the advantage in a match against him/ her.

5. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

Why do I feel like you are trying to gain sympathy from us by justifying your actions?

If you're comfortable where you at and if you wanna play the game in easy mode, it's up to you. You don't have to push your reasoning to us.

We like playing in hard mode. We are competitive. We like to improve and move up.

6. Da Carronade King

Da Carronade King Well-Known Member

Seducer
    It takes practice, I am trying to push past 2000 next and get to ace hopefully with mk4. But yes one place shot and I am screwed. Especially as my carronade means I sometimes have to go straight in front of them. Also as I used to use speeder, those tactics come in handy. Just need a better turbo, then I could put in a standard shield. It takes skill and lots of luck especially in those 1vs1 situations against mk5 shooters, I have killed more 1vs1 then lost so taht must count for something. Its something to do with the shooters feeling fixers are soft targets so dont try as hard as if they were hitting a speeder.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2018
  7. Da Carronade King

Seducer
    Some people look like they tank but really its skill. I tried my mk5 speeder and I went from 1500 to 1000 and couldnt push back up. Presumably that is called nearly tanking as that was 650 under my best, which incidentally, Snapple was set by by mk4 speeder 2 MONTHS AGO. So snapple do not upgrade until ur sure but it took me 2 months to come back up with my fixer and eventually hit 1900 with a mk4 fixer with mostly low level items. My friends thought that I was either tanking or just not playing at all, it was actually due to skill. Snapple knows he cant get past 1500, it took me 4 months of playing to do so myself, and while I do play a lot less ( he has done more battles than me and I have done 4000), its acceptable that he is tanking so in the future he can push up. Maybe speeders not working for him. I swapped from shooter to speeder to fixer - tahts why I have upleveled weapons I might never use.

8. Rainbow Warrior

Agreed, that's why there's no problem in a mk7 under 1000 infamy if the player needs it to keep playing on that level. There is a problem when a dishonest player loses on purpose in order to have easier matches. Because of his behavior, 9 honest players are harmed in every battle he engages in.

Ian and Da Carronade King like this.
  9. Da Carronade King

Seducer
    i never lose on purpose, its just make really stupid decisions or my wifi goes, making it look like i am losing on purpose.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2018
  10. Snapshot

I don't know. You'll have to explain your assumptions about my intent all on your own.

My actual intent is simply to understand if I'm missing something both for the sake of improving my own game experience and trying to understand why the matchmaking system is so horribly jacked up. Honestly I've never seen anything like this in any game I have ever played going back decades. Sure, I've seen temporary situations where a game company made farming noob content unexpectedly profitable and so high level players flocked to the noob zones. But most companies see that as a design flaw that needs correction rather than "working as intended".

Insofar as "sympathy", I'm progressing quickly and fighting in the top 20th percentile even at my low points. Other than the fact that I don't like playing below my capabilities why would I need sympathy?

11. Rainbow Warrior

Screenshot_20180220-190550.png ace 1 worst prize
    Screenshot_20180220-190532.png
    Ace 1 First prize :D

12. Da Carronade King

Seducer
    worst prize ace 1 is similar to best price ace 3 apart from in ace
    3 u get lots of rare parts and pieces plus the epic piece

13. Rainbow Warrior

I just want that Nightmare "worst" prize every season lol I delayed by switching my main boat to fixer (because I'll love to get that legendary pulse), but maybe next season I can reach Nightmare :D:D:D

Ian likes this.
  14. Snapshot

The fact that you do explains part of why I experience the game differently than you. I'm looking at that "prize".... 1 epic piece and 30 parts... and yawning bigly. I would lose SO much in order to chase that prize.

15. Rainbow Warrior

Play as good as you can and you'll get those prizes, I guess It takes about 6 months to a new F2P player who focus on a single boat (no matter which one you choose, since you only spend your your resources on It) to reach Nightmare, and your way seems to be a lot closer

16. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    Higher infamy is a pain in the butt. I'm a MK2 player with 1000+ infamy and I get put with MK5 players. The MK5s are like FREE KILL!! And I get obliterated instantly. Zhou,d I use turbo or shield?

17. Snapshot

And yet the fundamental problem remains. Even at my level those prizes seem paltry. So rather than pay the various prices I'd need to pay to reach for those uninteresting prizes I just grind away down here in my (still ridiculous) infamy level and get the same stuff much more reliably and steadily. I'm interested in advancing my gear particularly because things are so jacked up. The reality is that the gaps in power get reduced as you get closer to the top because there is a top. Once the power differentials are not so ludicrous I can just enjoy playing the game. The other neat thing is once I'm already in E30 gear, I won't particularly need income so badly so I won't care that I'm losing income in order to win.

18. Snapshot

I think this happens to an awful lot of players who care about the game enough to end up on these boards (eg: not the casual players). For me I think it was 1240 or so in my M2. That was when I pulled the rip cord the first time and started losing on purpose. I was already fighting way too many M5's. The last thing i wanted was to get into Master league. I couldn't know but I assumed I'd be there in my M2/3 fighting among a sea of M6's.

I went dual turbo but I prefer close combat rather than the standoff bombardment role. Honestly though, at that level of being outgunned "hide behind a rock and try not to get noticed" is really the most you can hope for. That's why I swapped over to speeder. Sure, I'm even more massively outgunned and I have no HP to speak of but that's hardly new. In exchange I get a boat that can actually engage with M5's (even as a M2) if it's piloted well.

19. Rainbow Warrior

Turbo will prevent you to receive more damage than the shield would provide ;)

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  20. HeroicBubbles

HeroicBubbles Active Member

I can somewhat understand sugar being capped until higher captain levels start taking more but you can always find ways to spend gold on perks/parts in the shop or items for scrap. The season rewards are meh for parts but can be nice for pieces at high infamy if you're FTP. The real value of higher infamy is in the multiplier for more gold/sugar.

If you're suiciding half your games to keep your infamy low and as a result getting to the next game quicker I can see how your gold/sugar rate per game might be competitive but it's hard to tell since you aren't really min/maxing and spending all of your gold. I agree in so far as it's up to the devs to make sure the gold/sugar rate shouldn't be competitive using this strategy to discourage this behavior.