1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

How does the Guild-matching system in the guild wars work?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by NaveFantasma, 25 Nov 2017.

1. NaveFantasma

NaveFantasma Member

Hi guys, i know this can be a difficult question, so i ask the developers to answer it please. Im just wondering how the Guild matchmaking system works.
    I saw my Guild (rank 33k points) against guilds with 4k points rank. Other friends told me it is happening to them too...how can it be possible? Of course Guilds with so low rank can not win against so higher ranked Guilds.
    Thank you for your answers :)

The Otherguy and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  2. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    I'm guessing it's like normal match-making; according to infamy.
    You won't get a very detailed explanation, to prevent exploitation. :)
    (I want to know for sure too btw)
    EDIT: That was before the update, guilds are now matched by quest.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2018
  3. Miika

Miika Game Lead

The matchmaking is currently based on guild infamy. If you see rivalry guilds with significantly different amount of infamy than your guild is just means they either lost or gained members are the rivalry started.

The Otherguy likes this.
  4. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Wouldnt quests completed last season (or average amount of quests completed) be an interesting alternative? Total guild infamy doesnt measure activity very accurately.

We had a much more engaging (and pearl spending) rivalry in the one season where we were evenly matched anyway.

Joey who, Stelmo and The Otherguy like this.
  5. Miika

Miika Game Lead

We are definitely evaluating changes to the matchmaking logic for guild rivalries. When we first introduced rivalries we didn't yet have any other data available than infamy, since there were no "last season quests" available.

6. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

It would be amazing if we could still get a bit of decent competition as a f2p guild at the top, instead of being defeated every week before it's even begun.

Riddlerpaji and Joey who like this.
  7. KRN Nomad

KRN Nomad Member

I know devs are considering different match system. I hope it's something that would prevent players from infamy tanking in order to get matched with inferior guild. I see some players in rival guilds with rather conservative infamy level despite their levels and equipments.

8. mar5hmello

mar5hmello Member

Has there been any updates on the rivalry? still infamy?

9. nosesabe

nosesabe Well-Known Member

Still infamy

10. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

Incorrect. It's now based on activity (quests previously completed).

11. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

AFAIK it's now based on quests completed and infamy may have a slight impact, but frankly don't think it should... quests completed are quests completed.

12. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

I blame @Kitterini... you doomed us all with your "interesting alternative". ;)

Kitterini likes this.
  13. GigaBeard

GigaBeard Member

I don't think matchmaking based on previous quests completed is working any better than infamy based like it was before.
    For example, we're matched up with one guild that is in top 100 worldwide and their top 22 players are all higher infamy than our #1 player. It's very tough to compete with that level of point scoring potential. Good competition is fine, but when it seems unfair and even worse is causing burn out and the feeling of hopeless, it actually has the potential to lose players from the game itself.

Guilds were a HUGE gain for the game, adding more purpose, competition, and comradery. Now, it's feeling more like endless grinding and way less fun.

Perhaps, the guild matchmaking can be based on a greater combination of things, such as infamy, guild activity, win/loss ratios, weapons used, etc and then tiered like they do with individual player divisions/ leagues.

Maxpuma likes this.
  14. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

This has been brought up and discussed in several other threads. I do agree that purely being based on quest completions would not be how I did guild matchmaking. BUT. This is week 1. Let's play it out for a few weeks and see what happens.

15. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

This is such a massive improvement. Last Rivalry ended something like 67, 60, 49, 48, 40, 2.

First Rivalry under these rules and the score is 56, 54, 54, 52, 51, 41.

Rather than us knowing that we will finish 3rd/4th no matter what, we can now end up anywhere between 1st and 5th depending on how much effort we put in.

Ultimately we'll end up having finished 3rd in both, but this has been much more engaging than the last many rivalries.

16. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

I agree, although I do understand what people are saying when they talk about higher infamy guilds being able to contribute more damage/healing. I think the best case scenario would be to match guilds based on BOTH infamy AND quests completed the previous week. Now that would make for some interesting rivalries.

17. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I see this comment a lot in these forums, and I still don't understand it. Infamy is not relevant to # of quests completed. If #1 guild completed 45 quests and #100000 completed 45 quests, it's perfectly legitimate to match them together because the only measurement for a rivalry win is completed quests.

18. Helius Maximus

Helius Maximus Active Member

PM
    It is relevant in the sense of the gear a higher infamy will be using, against the weapon level a lower infamy could have. It would be way more difficult for a lower infamy to complete those 45 quests. So, no, current matchmaking is not fine, it is better for sure, but is not there yet.

Help I Cant Swim likes this.
  19. Rated R

Rated R Member

I understand it. These people are thinking about overall time played per guild. It may take the #1 guild a total of 8 hours game time to complete 45 quests and guild #100000 12 hours to complete those 45 quests because they don't do as much damage or healing per match. So the second guild is much more active but completes the same amount of quests.

Help I Cant Swim likes this.
  20. Rated R

Rated R Member

I advocated for this "quests completed" type of matchmaking back in November when I was with a higher level guild. That guild was more concerned with maintaining infamy than completing quests so we got trounced in the guild rivalries all the time even though we may have been just as active.

Now that they fixed guild quests to where you can almost always contribute without losing infamy, I think matchmaking based upon quests completed may be unnecessary. Now, just keep the matchmaking based upon infamy and the most active guild will most likely win or even big spenders (boosts) which is okay.