1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Make Defense Points More Relevant

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Miku Da Yo 39, 12 Feb 2018.

1. Miku Da Yo 39

Miku Da Yo 39 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, so a few problems come to mind as of late regarding defense points and their influence on actual gameplay. Right now there is a 100 point cap on defense. I believe this is capped because otherwise it is too big of a Nerf to carronades or Missiles. But honestly, even 100 defense points is not really that useful when you realize that in order to get defense points you have to sacrifice 150hp(actual more when calculated into boat total HP) per perk slot. For example, I have shooter with 2 shields, instead of 1200hp(actual closer to 2000hp after the math) from perks, I can get 72 defense points seriously? At high levels, defense is not even that big a factor. So my solution is to make some changes.

Regarding Carronader and Missile:
    Instead of reducing the dmg of each individual projectile, it should first calculate the damage of all projectiles added up then subtract defense and that's the dmg done per projectile.
    Carronade: 250 x 7 = 1750 - 100 = 1650/7 = 235 dmg per projectile.

Now after this is implemented, we need to remove the 100 Defense points cap. We also need to have defense points be more abundant from talents and perks. The defender should be able to have over 200 defense points while other ships have around half as much. Now we can actually see a balanced option to choose Defense or HP.

Thank you for reading, and let me know what you think in the comments!

2. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    Lol we were literally just talking about this. Yeah, they seem kinda useless if you ask me. Another way to balance the ability to have high defense would be to create a weapon that allows armor penetration (like some kind of corrosive cannon). It'd be like a flare + blast/ex combo, but it'd be intended for carronades and missile launchers, and instead of boosting their damage it just gives them armor penetration (not 100% of course, that'd be overkill).

3. PastelPiku

Security
    Buff to defense perks and all ships' defense, introduce armor penetration perks that can be applied to all weapons. This would effectively make defense more attractive while giving low damage weapons a chance against it.

*JAWS* likes this.
  4. EyeOfDoom

EyeOfDoom Well-Known Member

Even 100 defence doesn't matter much thanks to fire, crits and +-10% per shot system in place. Pretty useless against flare because it only affects initial hit. Sniper crits don't care much because theyll land for 2x-3x damage anyway. Ex cannon will still smack you for 1400 instead of 1500 and if shot decides to land for + 10%, it's still done 1550 on your defender despite you having 100 defence points.

*JAWS* likes this.
  5. PastelPiku

Security
    So we're all in agreement, defense sucks right now. I'm saying we should buff defense, and to not completely destroy low damage weapons we should add armor penetration perks.

*JAWS* likes this.
  6. PastelPiku

Security
    So raise the defense cap, raise how much defense each ship has, and raise the perks' effectiveness. Shoot, all of this defense might help the defender a bit, too lol. If they also add those insulation perks I want, which reduce burn, frost, and stun duration, they could stock up on those, too, and maybe defenders might be back in business.

*JAWS* likes this.
  7. *JAWS*

*JAWS* Well-Known Member

Developers could raise defense pts to 200 as the new cap.
    And add immunity to the defense pts. They could make it available for every boat.
    And as suggested move missiles and carronade to calculate total damage to the shot. Instead of individual damage.

Plus. Perks shouldn't cap at 9. They should start at 9, 13, and 18. Then more players would willingy add a defense perk. This brings more variety to the bay. Cuz without an adjustment. Defense pts. Is ha ha lol able.
    It's time to update defense pts.

@The Grim Repair @Miika @Dmg don

PastelPiku likes this.
  8. Cpt.urdad

Cpt.urdad Member

Never agreed to someone with an anime profile picture before..

xxxBISMARCKxxx and PastelPiku like this.
  9. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

and what about defense points work as % reduction? it would be more useful against crits and ex cannons and carronades would be buffed by this, but it needs testing and balancing to not screw everything, I know that the example I used might look to op but if we want to revive defense point/defender we need to increase the effect of defense points
    example: max % reduction is 30% (just my idea, may be less, but not more, 40% or more is op, less than 20% is useless), it may look high but it's not that high when you consider everything, such as damage done by high-end weapons, crit damage etc.
    carronade:
    250×7=1750
    250-0.3×250=175
    175×7=1225

ex. cannon:
    1400-0.3×1400=980

10. Hokuse

Hokuse Well-Known Member

Actually i thinking defense points and they seems nice to me. I use defense perks on my defender and i see it's effectiveness against snipers, cannons, carronades but especially mortars. Health is more effective against burst damages, defense is more effective continuous damages right now. That is a good difference. There is the only problem is people mostly prefers fire based weapons. If devs can make available other weapons defense won't be weak anymore. Mine defense is at cap right now and it is very limited cap. It must improve to 150. It will give another way to playing defenders. Problem isn't defense right now, meta of burst weapons.

FearsomeChicken likes this.
  11. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    How about defense points just delete a PERCENTAGE of damage? 1 def point= around -.5% damage

12. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

That is too much. 100 defense would be a 50% damage reduction. It needs to max out at like 20%. I do like the percentage reduction though.

13. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    .2% damage reduction sounds good

14. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

you didn't read what I wrote? it's the same idea as in my comment above you:)

why do you count with points? it would be confusing to have points which actualy act as %, just replace points completely with %

15. PastelPiku

Security
    Flat damage reduction is necessary to keep it balanced. It's supposed to be strong against weaker weapons or those with multiple projectiles, but even at its very best it's not that great.

It should be a mix of % damage reduction and flat damage reduction, so that it's usefulness is a little bit more generalized, but still better against the same items.

Let's keep the flat defense the way it currently is, and the % reduction can be 1% for every 4 defense points. This makes 100 defense equate to 25%+100 damage reduction. A projectile dealing 1000 damage to a ship with 100 defense will deal 650 damage instead. On the lower end, a projectile dealing 250 damage will deal about 90 damage.

Call it OP but I've never seen anything but a defender reach 100 defense, and there would still be a big sacrifice of hp. We could kill 2 birds with one stone and make its counter frost (frost breaking should ignore defense) in addition to the already armor penetrating incendiaries.

16. Riddlerpaji

Riddlerpaji Active Member

This guy left too. :O