1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with draws

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Miathan, 29 May 2017.

1. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

What I really cannot understand, is why a match is decided to be a draw if one side has more kills than the others. If time runs out, hand the victory to the team with the most boats alive. Only if the number is equal should it be a draw. That seems obvious to me, why is it not the case?

I already encountered one big issue with the current implementation. If you are 2 vs 1 and the 1 is a speeder, you'll never kill it if the speeder keeps moving around. As soon as the 2 boats go for the capture, the speeder will come close enough for one shot just to ruin the capture %, and then goes on his way again. Probably works against 3 or more enemies too. I think this is a major flaw. It's trolling behaviour, really. Denying the enemy their (deserved!) victory by not fighting. It should not be possible, and is only possible because the draw doesn't care for the amount of boats alive.

Thoughts?

Netsa and dikshift like this.
  2. dikshift

dikshift Active Member

Making capture more viable is also another way to go.

3. rlxgenerate

rlxgenerate Active Member

He's making the point that if you try to capture and someone fires 1 shot, it'll reset or bring the % down from the capture point.

I get it...but it's a strategy in the game that exists. It won't change any time soon. Trust me, when you're on the side that draws, it feels like a victory because that's infamy you didn't lose.

Should something be in place to possibly award the team w/ more ships alive, possibly. But I'd rather draw and not lose infamy than lose, lose infamy, and get less rewards out of it.

4. Toxic4

Toxic4 New Member

If you got 2 boats and can't beat a speeder you aren't using strategy

oDDD likes this.
  5. Miathan

Not necessarily true. If you can't beat the speeder 1 on 1 split tactics is a bad idea, and on top of that there may not be enough time left to go over half the map to find a way to trap the speeder in some corridor. But whether the speeder is beatable is besides the point.

6. LOLdude

LOLdude Member

lol i agree Miathan ^^^^^^^^^^^^

7. mammoth1946

mammoth1946 Active Member

i have no problem whit that, its only stategy if one speeder left. the only option is to capture. and draw him to capture area, once close enough destroy the speeder with your high damage weapon. we mostly won because of this eventhough im a defender.. :)

8. Netsa

Netsa Well-Known Member

"Strategy" shouldn't even come into play with something like this. Having to employ some special maneuver just so the game will give you your rightly-deserved win isn't something that should be encouraged.
    It resets the capture percentage specifically for the person hit. Each person on the capture point has a separate contribution. For example, if two people are on the point at 80%, and both have been on it for the same amount of time, it will go down to 40% if one of them takes damage. For another example, let's say one person sits on the point to 60%, and then a second person sails on top of it to help up to 80%. If that second person takes damage, the capture will go down by an amount equal to his contribution, which was 10% in this scenario, so it the total capture would be reset down to 70%.

This is a pretty stupid system for multiple reasons, but trust me, I'm not super happy when I end a game 1-4 and the timeout not only awards a Draw but also gives me a free infamy point. Not only did I not enjoy the match, having my team get wiped so easily that I now have to play keep-away for several minutes, but I know for a fact we didn't deserve the "win". Losing and having the game reward me anyway just makes me feel like a baby. I've never Drawn a game on a losing team using a Shooter or Defender, either, it's always on a ship that spams cheap tactics to make myself difficult to kill before time runs out (I main Enforcer). That's not a fun game. Okay? That's not a fun game. Losing feels bad, but an unfair system makes me lose faith in the game as a whole.

Miathan likes this.
  9. RangerCA

RangerCA Member

Oh, forcing a draw that way is totally fair. More power to a guy who draws a match.

If you can't force a draw, what's the point of even sticking it out during a match where your team just performed a Harri Karri and you are left as the only player (and a speeder nonetheless) against a crackshot Shooter and a Fixer practically tethered to him? You obviously can't win a straight fight, so what would you do? You just hop in, scream Leeroy Jenkins and basically subject yourself to a death by firing squad? What's the fun in an absolutely hopeless match for the underdog team if you remove all the mechanics in the game that they could utilize to at least mitigate their losses?

Imagine playing a game of ranked chess, you just got tricked into a glorious gambit and lost 3 power pieces and your opponent only lost two... 30 odd moves later, you are desperately defending your inevitable failure of a match until... WAIT! He left his King open for perpetual check! The game draws and the opponent is most likely internally seething as he shakes your hand only because he has to. In my opinion, that draw is totally earned, even if it is considered by some as a "dirty trick." Should that rule be removed? No, it's his fault he lost to the good old Zugzwang, not to the guy who forced the draw since it was clearly the only reasonable move at his disposal.

Of course, that's for lack of a better analogy... but suffice it to say. Methods for drawing in games are there for a reason; they still want to give the losing team a fighting chance. Removing that would take from the better part of Chess, and it would have the same impact here.

Edited to add: Now, don't get me wrong, I understand your problem with the whole "win 1 point" thing, but it's not a large loss and the only reason I could imagine a reason for that is simply because the server for some reason NEEDS to assign infamy points after a match. +1 to fixing that, but the draw mechanism itself definitely should not get removed. Just my opinion though, no verbal flogging pl0x.

Last edited: 30 May 2017
  10. Netsa

Netsa Well-Known Member

I get that, but this isn't a one-on-one game. Teams aren't created equally like in Chess, so the method of forcing a draw shouldn't be treated the same way. The person forcing the draw isn't necessarily punishing the mistake of anyone on the enemy team, they are frequently just the last people alive because no one targeted them, usually because they sat in the back or would have been a hassle to engage. Not only that, but teams are created with no knowledge of what enemies they will be fighting against. If the last guy is a Speeder and the other team happens to be composed entirely out of Defenders, that's not that team's fault. They're getting a Draw even when they didn't get to choose their team and no one made a wrong move.

There are ways to make 1-on-5 situations less cringe-inducingly hopeless, but making the game Draw and give a random infamy point isn't the solution. Here's some random ideas. If a match times out:
    - Give all living players Win rewards, all dead players Lose rewards, and award no infamy to either team.
    - Give the last player standing on any given team a buff if he's outnumbered, but still give a Loss if the enemy ends with more kills.
    - Hand out extra stars and pearls to the last man standing if he survives, but still give a Loss if the enemy ends with more kills.
    Just some brainstorming.

Miathan likes this.
  11. Miathan

That's right you can't win that fight, and you're not supposed to. There's nothing wrong with the game being lost if all your teammates got themselves killed. This is a team game, one player should not be able to drag the game out until time runs out, and then not lose. That's not fun for anyone except the person doing it. (Tbh I doubt it's fun even for that person, he'd probably get more enjoyment from ending the match sooner and queueing a new one where his team isn't dead)

Besides, the speeder thing was just one example. I've also seen a game ending in a draw because of a floater hidden somewhere at the spawn. The fighting had lasted a while and when the enemy finally found it, it was too late.

12. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Most draws happen when the "winning" team fails to coordinate whether to chase or capture (or a mixture), I don't have a problem with poor coordination having consequences in a teamgame.

That being said, It would be nice to know what leads to -1 vs +1. I'm guessing its based on the same calculation as battle stars, but that is pure guesswork.

13. Whistler

Whistler Active Member

In that case the enemy team was at fault, they should have captured, either to win that way or to draw the last person out.

There are ways to work around a stalling speeder, I've won a game where the last ones standing where a friendly defender, an unfriendly speeder and me as fixer. Both the defender and me went to cap and of course the speeder started the drawing strategy. Since hitting someone at cap only resets their points, the defender took the hits as it helped me hide behind them while my points remained intact. It was a nail-biting game as one good shot from the speeder's part would give them the draw.