1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Theoretical DPS and real DPS

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by BowenQ, 29 May 2017.

1. BowenQ

BowenQ Member

Well there is a frequently asked question “which weapon does the most damage/has the highest DPS”. To answer that, we can simply check the weapon status and get a result. However, are those real?
    As we know, the environment in Battle Bay is a sea/lake instead of a flat ground. There are waves that block shots. The DPS on the weapon status is the damage you can make while constantly shooting, but when you constantly shoot, how many shots will be blocked by waves, and how many shots can hit your target? A good shooter shoots in good timing.
    Here comes the problem: timing. Let's say, in average, every shot takes 2 second delay after reloaded in order not to miss the target. The first weapon's cool down time is 5 seconds, and the second is 10 seconds. In one minute, the first weapon shoots every 5+2=7 seconds, totally 8 effective shots. the second weapon shoots every 10+2=12 seconds, totally 5 shots. If two weapons have the same DPS, let's say 10, that means the first weapon deals 50 damage per shot, and the second deals 100 damage per shot. Then the total effective damage in one minute for the first weapon is 8*50=400, and the second is 5*100=500. See the problem?
    Now we have a result. Because player have to wait for some time to make an effective shot, cool down time of one shot increases. Thus, the shorter the cool down time a weapon has, the longer total delay a weapon has, and that makes a weapon with high damage single shot but long reload time have higher real DPS.

Lucent and Raiden Rizuka like this.
  2. BirdFly

BirdFly Member

I don't understand..

3. LOLdude

LOLdude Member

k good post. But then that means a 1000dmg mine has around 13.33 dps as how i land a hit on average of four per game.

4. BowenQ

BowenQ Member

Or 0 DPS if no body touches them.

LOLdude likes this.
  5. BowenQ

BowenQ Member

Why?

6. BirdFly

BirdFly Member

That's why

7. mammoth1946

mammoth1946 Active Member

why why?

cgr3asy likes this.
  8. mammoth1946

yes. in the long run. high damage in nightmare is better.

9. wallcolmx

wallcolmx Member

ohh i see high damage longer cooldown?

10. mammoth1946

Yep. cuase on higher level , the hp is much higher. and need sure shot with high damage not just low damage shot.

11. WilbertCh

WilbertCh Member

I'm sorry but it's confusing. I thought dps would be mean: damage divided by delay time, or do I miss sth?

12. HappyEvil

HappyEvil Member

Damage/s^2

13. Travi5

Travi5 Member

Take in account that defense takes away damage equally. So if I have 50 defense any you are constantly hitting me with a 200 damage cannon, every shot is just 150 to my hp. As opposed to 500 damage railgun hitting me for 450.

HappyEvil likes this.
  14. LOLdude

LOLdude Member

And also aiming time. For an average player in master I rank it takes about .75 secs ( from experience in battles ).

15. Raiden Rizuka

Raiden Rizuka New Member

Does it means dps only work if we use the same one weapon continually? Or the damage per seconds still on the count on each weapon even we mix use multi weapon?

16. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Dps is a useless quantity anyway.

17. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Zombie thread!

This is part of the reason that I think CDR (CoolDown Reduction) perks aren't nearly as helpful as people might think - you're needing to wait for a chance to line up the next shot, and if you've fit enough perks to make a 2s CDR, but have to wait 2 seconds between shots anyways ... what's the point? Fit perks that increase the damage, and make the hits you do get in count. Extra reach/burst on your weapons is also more helpful in any game that has healers (or bandages) because unless you really want to get the "1 off Lethal" achievement, you'd rather not see someone sail away with a ship that's hanging together with duct tape, Popsicle sticks, and two digits of HP. ;)

TheAntiSnipe likes this.