1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

DevReply I'm Not A Seal Clubber

Discussion in 'Bugs, Issues & Inquiries' started by PastelPiku, 29 Jan 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miku Da Yo 39

Miku Da Yo 39 Well-Known Member

But in the end it's still not a permanent dead end one way street issue. I don't think any fix will come for something that is not absolute lol

2. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    Think of it this way. I have to win about 60 matches in a row to get back to where I was, and that's with my opponents still being just as strong as they were when I was up there.

3. Miku Da Yo 39

I don't see a problem. People down there are down there because they lack skill. They can have the best gear for all I care. Essentially what the devs said was that they don't give a damn about how you get to your infamy level. They just want you to compete with people who have the same infamy or skill level. They give zero crap about how much of a gear gap there is. If you think people are just playing bad well that's because they have to be bad to down so low in infamy. If you wonder why you can't win. This game is governed by 50/50 algorithms, u have win and lose streaks. It's not possible to cheat this system unless u got $$$ and exceptional skill to carry the game every match. Anyways, nothing is changing. This is not the first thread about this topic. My advice is still to let someone play for you so you don't waste your life grinding to get out.

4. PastelPiku

Security
    How do you not see the problem when you just said it yourself? 50/50 algorithm? So how do I get those 60 victories in a row if it's 50/50? If infamy is supposed to reflect those things, why should I still be forced to play with high infamy players when I get knocked down? My infamy doesn't reflect how well I do at my current infamy because that's not even the playing field I'm being rated on. Think of the popular game League of Legends, if you were in diamond but you somehow dropped back to bronze, how hard do you think it would be to get back to diamond if your opponents were all still in diamond? It's 50/50 like you said. You wouldn't be able to win enough times in a row unless you were substantially better than diamond league players.

5. Miku Da Yo 39

They are not diamond players lmao

6. PastelPiku

Security
    Lol I know. In the real world of League of Legends, falling back to bronze means you will fight bronze players. What I'm saying is, as an example, if we pretend where I was (3000ish) was diamond and I feel to 1500ish (pretend that's bronze), why am I (a now bronze player) still fighing against "diamond" players? That totally breaks the ranking system for people that fall too far.

Also, screenshot of the outcome of a typical game in my situation.

Attached Files:

7. Miku Da Yo 39

You are playing against bronze and losing against bronze. Tough luck

8. PastelPiku

Security
    A typical ranking system works in such a way that your opponents start out way too easy for you, so you shoot up the ranks. Eventually it starts to feel even, and the higher you get, the harder the challenge. When you start to lose, your ranking drops and so does the challenge, thus, the cycle repeats.

I'm frustrated because the cycle has yet to repeat after falling this far. My ranking has been lowered, but the difficulty has not, so the part where I'm supposed to rise back up to a new challenge is gone while my rewards remain severely cut and my ranking doesn't increase at all as a result.

9. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

Yes, infamy is supposed to represent that but it does not. Rather, what it represents is any given player's estimation of the best min/max strategy for gear. That's why you see M5's down at 100 infamy. I agree it's a major problem. I'll be more specific. The problem is that the incentive structure does not reward being at high infamy... or if it does, then nobody understands that it does. Making a World of Warcraft analogy, "If sheep in the newbie zone suddenly started dropping 100g each you can bet that the zone would be inundated by high level players and the lifespan of a sheep would be measured in microseconds."

And you are correct in your response to Miku Da Yo. Even if we all agree the problem is you suck at Battle Bay, that does not change the obvious disaster that is infamy right now. You being terribad doesn't create a ton of M5's at 100 infamy.

Heh... you should try fighting those same boats in a real mark 3 (not one loaded with E40 gear). LOADS of fun.

10. PastelPiku

Security
    The thing is, I know for a fact that I'm not terribad. How else would you explain my consistent standing at 3000 for months until now? It has nothing to do with my skill at this point, I'm still winning and losing at the same rate as when I was ahead because my opponents are all the same as when I was ahead, so it's not like I'm only losing. But how am I supposed to get my infamy back up if it's the same challenge as it was 1000 infamy ago?

11. PastelPiku

Security
    Put into literal terms, I'm playing as a 2500 infamy player against other 2500 infamy players, but I'm receiving 0 stars and a severely cut reward each game.

12. Snapshot

I wasn't saying you were. I was agreeing that whether you are or not doesn't change the problem. Insofar as getting your infamy back, don't ask me. I'm looking at climbing that same ladder but without the benefit of all your gear. I'm a F2P player in a genuine M4 shooter and M3 speeder. I fight guys with legendaries with my R15 flare and R25 blast cannon.

I've just given up on caring. I get into Battle Bay and fight some matches because I like the combat dynamics. Winning, as long as the game is such a mess, isn't something I can afford to care about that much.

PastelPiku likes this.
  13. PastelPiku

Security
    Instead of forcing this situation onto a player, why not let high level players fall, if they happen to, and instead of forcing them to play against high level players just completely cut out all rewards entirely? There would no longer be any gain whatsoever to hanging around the low infamy zone and it would be extremely easy to win your way to your respective ranking.

14. PastelPiku

Security
    I appreciate your love for the game, and don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the gameplay. Like I said, I'm basically still on that even playing ground. It just feels like I've lost all sense of progression since I'm now stuck here. Hoping this thread or any similar thread will bring some attention to the topic and that we could find a more suitable way to discourage seal clubbing.

The Grim Repair likes this.
  15. Ajay Singh Sikarwar

Ajay Singh Sikarwar New Member

Suggest me weapons for mk5 shooter. I am loosilo battle again and again

Attached Files:

16. The Grim Repair

The Grim Repair Community Manager

It's great to share tips, tactics and help each other out - account sharing, however, is not allowed.
    Everyone plays their own account with their range of abilities.

Of course, there is a strong competitive core at the game, however, it should still be about having fun first.
    In all games I've played there are ups and downs. You will get back up there also on your own @PastelPiku . We have already implemented something to alleviate the penalties for infamy dropping after a certain time - so that you can get back up again without losing out rewards. (it will go live with next update).

Other than that - the player base is changing in the different infamy ranges - people learn, get better, have different play styles or motivations, change their load outs, etc.
    Infamy is not going to ever perfectly balance skill and power - it's just not possible. The only thing you can influence here is yourself - your own skill and mindset. Play to enjoy first and compete second - that's my advice.

17. PastelPiku

Security
    Thanks, I look forward to it. For now, I'll just keep pushing to see if I can make it back.

The Grim Repair likes this.
  18. Snapshot

No. But what is possible is that it do a heck of a lot better job at it than it's doing now. Either that or you explain to me why so many level 38 captains seem to struggle to win at 200 infamy. Is it really the brand new captains in their mark 1 boats that are decimating these level 38 captains in their M5 boats? Perhaps we should take a closer look at just how far from "perfect" the actual situation is, eh?

Visually, what Warrior 1 looks like is this.

upload_2018-1-29_10-34-35.png

Looking at that regression line, at 0 infamy I would expect a level 20 captain. I'm not sure what you'd expect for a level 1 captain but the math works out to an infamy of negative 2400 infamy. As I remember my level 1 captain I started at 0 and quickly worked up.

Making this more direct,

the correlation coefficient between level and infamy is 0.14 -- not correlated or extremely weakly correlated.

Let's go over that again. There is no meaningful relationship between level and infamy in the Warrior Div 1 data set. You can call that "imperfect" if you'd like. I'm going to go ahead and call it what it is... "completely broken". Your claim is that skill is what accounts for the lack of correlation. I'm guessing you'll find few here who will agree that a captain in a M2 shooter is likely to be so much better than a captain in a M5 shooter with E40+ gear that the skill balances out the gear. That's ludicrous on the face of it. Using your analogy of Usiah Bolt, yes gear does matter. If you gave him 80lb concrete blocks strapped to his feet and you gave me any sort of regular shoe I would win.

Infamy does not correlate with level
    Infamy does not correlate with skill

Too bad Rovio uses infamy and boat mark as matchmaking inputs... neither one correlates with anything meaningful.

Just as an aside, look at the OP's original problem. He's an infamy 3500 player seeing similar foes down at 1600. You can look at the chart here and see those same enemies down at 860 although the herd thins as you move down. Personal experience tells me you can also see them at 200 infamy. Consider the fact that a brand new player may well find himself fighting opponents more appropriate for Ace league.

PastelPiku and Miku Da Yo 39 like this.
  19. Miku Da Yo 39

HA!! What do you have to say for yourselves devs????

20. Snapshot

Heh... I wish I could see all the leagues because I'm certain that group would look even more ridiculous if it covered the full range of infamy.

*** Edited to add ***
    Just to add insult to injury, you are not a seal clubber and you are being penalized. I, on the other hand, AM a seal clubber and not only am I not being penalized, I'm being rewarded handsomely for it. Not only does the current system fail to punish me, but it never will... ever. The current penalty system is based off of maximum infamy and guess who controls that?

Last edited: 29 Jan 2018
    PastelPiku likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.