1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Why does this game reward camping so much?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by RunAndHide, 3 Jan 2018.

1. nuoni

nuoni Member

Wait, what's wrong with sitting back and lobbing mortars if he is doing a lot of damage?
    Plus from what I've seen (1300 infamy level) mortar spam breaks off their cluster and forces unfriendlies to spread apart making it easier to start singling them out.
    Why mortar spamming is wrong in higher leauges provided he is doing damage? It sounds that you should start spamming mortars too.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  2. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Basically, from a strictly strategic point of view, yes, mortar spams are okay. But they are annoying when every shot is precision fired from a high level mortar. Though mortar spams nearly never happen when I'm on the team(I get focused, and mortars don't faze me with my 1.6 speed and a superb nitro and OB), I can see them being a problem.

Mr. Chompers likes this.
  3. TheAntiSnipe

It still only takes care of half the problem imo. Defenders and shooters will still have trouble fighting. I suppose you run a tanky enfo or a low-turbo enfo? This usually happens to these sorts of enfos, and I hope you can "catch" a shot with a tesla shield? I recommend :
    A] Running a tesla, and catching a shot. Run tesla+OB. Trigger OB first. The moment a shot lights up, trigger your OB. General cooldown is two seconds, the fastest mortar is 2.33. Light up your shield at the last moment. Now, even if you get stunned, you have 4 seconds or so of high-speed OB evasion.
    B] I'm sure you do this, but let's check. Do you dance, not 90°, but 45°(diagonal) to the enemy? The enfo dance works if you are 18.5 units out from a sniper cannon user, but only if you can mess up his range. The 45° dance, or diagonal dance, necessitates both vertical and horizontal lead IF you run OB.
    C] Finally, the OB+tesla setup is superb, but you should look at Vinci's setup, I think it is adaptable. But that's for when they bring back frost, which I don't see happening soon. Vinci used frost to slow down enemy speeders, then followed it up with a flare, and two snipes. Worked great back then. He is a NM player.

Mr. Chompers likes this.
  4. Zachiderp

Zachiderp Well-Known Member

I mostly did follow that list but I use close range weapons. The only weapon i could fire from that range is my blast cannon, and torpedo from a lucky hit. My grenade does the most damage + its fire damage boosts blast cannon. I use a teslabolt because when I ob shield at close range my shield is taken out and begin to run when it does. Then my ob runs out and I'm pelted with mortars :/

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  5. pcRazen

pcRazen Member

Death to campers. I find it useful to try and stay out of range and try to bait an unfriend to leave the herd. If the team is set on on spawn camping. Well.. there is always a big green circle. Camp right back
    #this shooter camps in the green.

6. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

When we play against a fixer (what happened really often) what is better? To be far, lob mortars and be dealing slowly 400 damage or be close and somebody twice with explosive or other cannon?

He might be dealing more damage because of course he survives for 30 seconds more (what can be 5 6 shots) but you know that damage isn't everything in this game. You can do more damage then your enemies, but because your team didn't focus fire, you'll lose.

PS: I'm not saying it's not effective at all, but that there are some cases when it's absolutely not.

StrictSalmon307 and Spinners71 like this.
  7. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the mortar boats get big damage numbers because they are dealing diffuse AOE damage and because they are surviving longer. It's most likely me who's getting the actual kills that count... enemy healers, speeders, etc. Still, with any luck, the mortar guys have at least softened up my target.

This doesn't really bother me though. The mortar boats exist on the unfriend team too and they are my rightful prey.

What's Up Player likes this.
  8. Zachiderp

But the problem is that the gameplay becomes passive. And players like me with close range weapons are punished. I don't have much health to inch toward enemies and the mortar wars take place in open area's where it's hard to advance. I'm also given less rewards and get less damage than them which I find very frustrating because its fairly easy to shoot from a far and lead shots, compared to how I have to strategically close in on the enemy only to be confronted with over leveled close range weapons which they carried along with their mortars. *sigh*

vis1234567899 and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  9. pcRazen

pcRazen Member

If you get outgunned in close range. Try changing up your style. You be the mortar support. Until you can get your close range on par.

10. vis1234567899

vis1234567899 Well-Known Member

Yes try me , I usually mortar from a long way a way but now I get a legendary carronade, I usually only get close enough to kill the enemy speeder before dying

11. Zachiderp

I'm using what the game gives me. I haven't gotten any mortar duplicates neither do i want to use all of my resources to build up a new play style. I also tried playing mortar support but didn't really enjoy it and frost got nerfed brutally

12. Zachiderp

I don't know how to reply to that

vis1234567899 likes this.
  13. pcRazen

pcRazen Member

I have everyweapon lvl. 10 or higher. I am always leveling up weapons I don't use that often since the guild rivalry came out. Plus it's nice to be able to pull whatever weapon I want off the bench to use when ever I want.

Sure I have weapons that are stronger than others. I only have 2 lvl 40 weapons and one of them is uncommon. My third lvl 40 will prolly be my rare rail. But it's never a waste to level up. Sure my overall game power and infamy is effected by this. By it bothers me none. One day all my weapons will be 50 and the only thing I will have left is legends to work on.

14. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

Hey guys, please leave the mortar spamers alone! The game would be harder without them :p:p:p

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  15. TheAntiSnipe

That's for sure, mate. Imagine what speeders could do if all shooters packed snipes and excs, carros and flares. I shudder to think... xD

Rainbow Warrior likes this.
  16. Fiorell

Fiorell Active Member

Maybe you should also try to change your boat. I'm also a more aggressive player (I'm often the first to die when my team has no fixer) and I found out, that I have more fun with this play style using an Enforcer. I'm much more harder to hit by mortars and torpedoes and it's fun to get in close range to the enemy with this ship (but, of course, it's still important to know when it is the right time to get in).

17. Zachiderp

I've been taking time to build up my other boats (Fixer mk5 just need items, rest mk3) since playing enforcer feels so unrewarding(i play enforcer btw)

18. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

Or... like mine with 3 canons, one mortar and a nifty turbo? I can't wait to get my R30 railgun online when I hit M5. Speeders snooping around the flanks are my natural prey . I personally love the fact that most seem to assume I'm yet-another-mortar-boat. Sometimes it's really funny watching the M5 speeder "close in for the kill" on the low-hp M4 shooter. Two speeders however? Yeah, I fear two speeders more than any other 2 boat combination.

Even more interestingly, the gods of RNG have given me 5 rare flares. That makes it my potentially highest tier weapon should I develop it. Making you quake in additional fear seems like a thing worth consideration :)

19. TheAntiSnipe

Other than a sniper cannon or one of @Eeyore -senpai's radioactive torpedoes, there's no weapon in any person's inventory that I fear. Ofc, your average speeder will know to keep his distance. Me, I'll just save the knife fighters for dessert.

Also, I don't assume, and I almost never scout ahead, but when I do, I pick out brawlers easily. Why? They're the only ones not firing anything, since they're the only ones smart enough not to waste a shot on a scouting speeder.

20. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    Usually the mortar spammers are higher level than the rest of there team because they have lower infamy than they should. There's a reason for that.
    Also, the major problem is that mortar spammers are unwilling to take damage for the team and camp behind walls. This makes it so their teammates get targeted more easily. And usually the team with the first death is the resulting losing team.

Zachiderp likes this.