1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

50/50 win /lose

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Mundungous, 10 Jan 2018.

1. Mundungous

Mundungous Member

So I'm wondering how exactly the game keeps me at 50% win loss.. Out of 4030 battles I've won 2015...Anyone any ideas? I have noticed on my losing games that my hits don't seem to count as much and weapons appear to take longer to load..is there a handicap of sorts? . Or is that just my imagination?

2. ThatOnion

ThatOnion Well-Known Member

Gamer
    Obviously, because rovio cares so much about a perfect 50/50 they'll make it impossible to win to keep the balance.

No

It's a sign of half-decent matchmaking

3. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Lol, don't let yourself be hypnotized by that bullshit.

@OP, The game keeps track of your average cooperation and contribution. If you are way over your 50% W/L the game knows how to match you against players who are going under theirs and have a higher average cooperation and contribution resulting in your loss and their win. While this seems like total shit it also helps you when you are going under you will find yourself performing higher than everyone else giving you easier wins to get to the win/loss the system wants you at. The only way to get passed or under your 50% W/L is to do significantly worse (tank, play bad, do quests with low items, etc) or do significantly better (get better gear; combine a legendary, get a 4th epic for t4, pay money, etc).

4. ThatOnion

ThatOnion Well-Known Member

Gamer
    I forgot the "oh god, i just said that"

5. Rinse & Repeat

Rinse & Repeat Well-Known Member

its actually not 50/50... you have to take draws into account... so if your wins are exactly 50% or more you are actually winning more than you are losing...
    Yea most players have similar ratios so... idk how to help you...
    well if you are being put against stronger opponents to keep your ratio balanced between win and lose... then chances are they have stronger boats with more defense so your weapons do less damage... i also believe weapon damage varies... its not consistent

6. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

Nope.... it's exactly expected. The system will raise your infamy when you win until you start losing. Then you'll hover at that point... winning and losing roughly 50%. I'm kind of curious what your infamy is with an exact 50/50 split :)

7. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

It’s a natural product of the infamy system.

Think of it like a basketball floating in a swimming pool... the ball is always going to end up on the surface, about halfway between the water and the air. But you needn’t ask “how does it know where the surface is?”. There is no intention behind it. The ball is just too light to sink in water, and too heavy to float in air. You could try throwing it up in the air, or pushing it under the water, but it will always naturally return to its level, on the surface.

The infamy system is a similar principle. When your infamy goes up, your opponents get harder (because they also have high infamy), so you end up losing more games. When your infamy goes down, the reverse is true, so you end up winning more.

Since winning more raises your infamy, and losing more lowers it, you will naturally end up floating somewhere in the middle, where you are neither ‘winning more’ nor ‘losing more’.

You might have streaks where you go up or down more than usual, but over thousands of games these will balance each other out.

Most players are ‘around’ 50% (give or take a couple of percent). You being exactly 50% is probably just incidental though.

8. Joey who

Lol... Just, lol...

9. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

When I had 10k battles a month ago ;)
    88F8F06C-BD03-40C9-A30A-6F8C02D8EC83.png

Stonebanks likes this.
  10. Mundungous

Mundungous Member

@Snapshot I'm level 38,I struggle to get over 1400 infamy, I'm at 1024 at the moment, maybe I'm just a bit poo at it, tho I mostly seem to be the last player left against 4 or 5 opponents, very frustrating.. Thanks for the replies guys.

Last edited: 11 Jan 2018
  11. ViscountSniffit

:rolleyes:

Sorry, you’ll need to explain the joke?

12. Joey who

That you believe what the devs tell you, so you blank off and don't pay attention to what really happens.

13. ViscountSniffit

The devs didn’t tell me anything. I just know how Elo type rating systems work.

You seem to be implying that there is some kind of underhanded conspiracy to fix matches. Perhaps there is... but it would be unnecessary, since the Elo system will enforce a ~50% win rate on its own, it doesn’t need extra help. So long as you are being matched against players of a similar rating (which you are) your expected win rate will be 50%.

You don’t need to take anyone’s word for it, the maths is pretty straightforward.

14. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

Great analogy! :D

15. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

"Kids, this is what drugs do to your brain." :p

16. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

I've created a mini account just for fun, I was winning 80% of the battles until I get to 700 infamy points... Is there an infamy where this imaginary ROVIO winning ratio control starts?

17. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

No. Kids at low infamy are just bad.

18. pcRazen

pcRazen Member

If it's hard to get over 1400 infamy at lvl. 38. You should prolly upgrade weapons. I am 34. And generally 1400-1600. Also try fleeting. Having 2 people on the same can be very helpful in the outcome. Me and my guild have wiped multiple double fleets. With just our fleet. And play smart. Try not trap yourself, or rush an entire fleet.

When not fleeting I find it helpful to do the "switch" method. Where I push and draw enemy out then I retreat and wait for a friendly to make ther move before I push again. This Is especially effective if the defender is one switching with you.

19. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

nuh uh, Rovio totally fixes matchmaking

also they faked the moon landing and the earth is flat

Seriously, this is "matchmaking working as designed" and you'll see it in every game. Go on a hot streak? Your MMR/infamy rises, and you're matched with progressively harder opponents. If that hot streak was luck, you get smacked down by people with skills. Have a few poor games? You're now below where you should be, and as a result when your luck turns for the better, you smash your enemies into dust and climb back up.

Short-term shows streaks, long-term shows reality.

Which is 50%.

20. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

Without watching replays I can't really know what to make of that. I can tell you that I hit 1200-ish infamy in a M2. Things seems to have settled down recently and even though I'm in a M4 (level 23) with moderately leveled gear my "natural" infamy (when I'm not doing guild quests and whatnot) seems to be around 1050-ish. I expect that to bob up momentarily as I get to train buzzkill for the next level of rail gun. I can think of several reasons why my experience is different than yours (the most discountable one being I'm such an incredible player and your so poor). Got any thoughts? Do your weapon choices really fit your play style? Do you work hard to support your team?

I mean sure... I run into teams where I just end up scratching my head thinking WTF? But mostly I see teams that are more or less trying with, at most, one tanker in the bunch. The #1 failure.... by far... is lack of team play. They are trying but they are trying to be solo heroes. Those teams that are able to coordinate their fire on a single targets win... every time... even against gross mismatches. But if that is "the norm" then it's still true that your individual prowess should raise you above the level of your similarly geared peers, no?