1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

The shake and lag issue!!

Discussion in 'Bugs, Issues & Inquiries' started by MrSpy720, 13 Nov 2017.

1. SirCornedBeef

SirCornedBeef Developer

Indeed follow this advice from The Otherguy for checking what your actual ping to our servers is. They are located in th US. A internet speed check will never give you realistic reading as the route from server to server from your device, to your ISP, to the target server will not be the same as for Battle Bay.

Ping depends largely on two factors, the length of the route data has to travel between endpoints and how many request the routers can handle how fast at any given time. If you play during peak internet times in your and surrounding countries most likely routers start to bog down, especially your ISPs and data can't travel as fast. Have a few of these routers or bad routing to circumvent slow routers and you end up with high ping. Unfortunately we can't do anything about that. But you can try the following and it might help (no promises):

What you can try is find a better DNS server like OpenDNS, a free DNS server provider, that will provide you better initial IP resolve most of the time than the ISP DNS servers. You can check this page to find out how to configure it: https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/categories/204012907-OpenDNS-Device-Configuration. Note that Rovio does NOT endorse this service. I just mention it from personal experience that it can help. There are other similar services out there that could provide a better result for you depending on where you live. You can define DNS servers either directly on your device or on your home router.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2017
  2. Helius Maximus

Helius Maximus Active Member

PM
    Yep, it varies between 100 and 1000, but usually is at 250. Right now it is above 700:
    Screenshot_20171207-144858.png

And on speed test, well here are the last 3 samples I made today:
    Screenshot_20171207-145802.png

3. Helius Maximus

PM
    Thanks Sir, i will give this a try and see how it goes.

4. SirCornedBeef

SirCornedBeef Developer

Like I said, forget your speed test. It wont tell you anything relating to ping in Battle Bay unfortunately. It has nothing to do with it unless you have a bad speed to begin with (think 56k modem)

5. AVID

AVID Well-Known Member

ping 219 to 350 below always....
    previously before update it was excellent even with 500 ping.
    i am using 4g (below 350 ping) and as well as wifi (below 250 ping)

6. 100carlos100

100carlos100 New Member

My ping never drops below 200. Doesn't matter if I'm on wifi or LTE. I'm experiencing the same issues throughout the day. The problem clearly is on your end guys. Please don't blame the players for it.
    Here's another video where you can see jittering , red flashing circles and bunch of short pauses during a game.

Riddlerpaji likes this.
  7. SirCornedBeef

SirCornedBeef Developer

Nobody is blaming the players here. Using a speed test website simply does not give you any comparable information on what the actual ping is from your device to the battle bay server. And bad ping will not make your screen stutter. Lag will be visible quite differently in the way that your game will run smoothly and other players or yourself jump around without noticeable frame-rate drops.
    PC Gamer has a nice article that explains latency: http://www.pcgamer.com/what-are-latency-and-ping-and-what-do-they-mean-for-gaming/

As for the stutters you are experiencing, we are investigating the issue what might be causing this for some users. What you can try meanwhile is see if your device is running any apps in the background that take up CPU/Memory and interfere with Battle Bay.

Riddlerpaji likes this.
  8. MrSpy720

MrSpy720 Active Member

First of all thanks for replying after a month :)
    My in game ping is usually around 250-350.
    Is that not decent enough ? I experience the same issue as shown in above video by @100carlos100

9. Riddlerpaji

Riddlerpaji Active Member

Close background app and turn off sync.

10. SirCornedBeef

SirCornedBeef Developer

Hi MrSpy720,
    That is sufficient to play Battle Bay indeed. Again, ping has nothing to do with this exact symptom. Meanwhile try the other suggestions mentioned while we keep investigating.

11. LeoRS|GFBPA

LeoRS|GFBPA New Member

My game is like this, but I Lost conection from de game every battle. I Need to close and open again the app to get back to battle.
    This lag starts after the last big update and my ping is under 200 MS, I already tried to use VPN apps, chage others DNS server, but the problem persist for more than 1 month.... Very sad whit BB :(:confused:o_O

OBS: My Internet conection is 50 MB Optical Fiber, and I have problems only in BB, in others games from Rovio I dont have any problem.

Im from Brazil.
    WhatsApp Image 2017-12-08 at 21.59.50.jpeg ec9de00d-f342-46f1-9fc9-e66e06d2ef77.jpg

Last edited: 9 Dec 2017
  12. Helius Maximus

PM
    This seems to make the game more playable, it is not solved as i still see some flashing as in @100carlos100 video, but it is now a little better.

The DNS change didn't helped, so it may have to do with resources on the device, and maybe that is why this is happening since the last update, as now it may be requiring more resources. I'm using a Moto G5.

Riddlerpaji likes this.
  13. Riddlerpaji

And its mostly at guild's end season.

14. 100carlos100

100carlos100 New Member

It feels like, after the update, the lag issues are worse than they were before...
    It's super frustrating.

15. Helius Maximus

PM
    I'm doing a lot better now. What I did was to change the DNS configuration of my device as per @SirCornedBeef suggestion, based on the following link:
    https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-u...ndroid-Configuration-instructions-for-OpenDNS

Then turned off sync for all apps (whatsapp, Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, etc.). Removed permission of some apps to run in the background and unistalled the ones I don't use that often.

It is not perfect yet, but gameplay is way much better now.

Hope this helps you, sort of.

16. xBonk

xBonk Active Member

Machinist
    I have at times all of these issues. Have opened tickets with rovio support. No reply other than automated. I shut off sync, all background apps and services. My in game ping is under 100. My problem I have discovered is only on Wi-Fi. My 4g LTE never lags. I'e updated drivers on router. Tried playing when everyone is in bed in our neighborhood. Same lag only on wi-fi. This is discouraging as 4g eats up my data, and would prefer to play on wi-fi. So on 4g i go through my 4gb of data in 17 days. Thanks for those preloaded ads I don't watch. Sorry, got sidetracked.

17. Riddlerpaji

My lag is fixed but I am having an overheating issue. It reach 44 degree in 20-30min.

18. Riddlerpaji

Try game booster.

19. xBonk

xBonk Active Member

Machinist
    Tried that didn' work. I could use wi-fi with no problem until guild update. NIW I have to use 4g LTE so that I don' experience the same shake, then lag. I can shut off my Wi-Fi during match and problem corrects itself. My in game ping on wi-fi is under 100. Have updated all router and modem drivers. I reiterate, this problem started after the guild update.

20. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Happening more and more lately. I have a pretty good connection yet, this keeps happening in BB. Is there a server problem?

FYI: My Ping is usuall around 98ms and about 140 in this game.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 25 Dec 2017