1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Game crashing on iOS 9.3.3 version iPad 2

Discussion in 'Bugs, Issues & Inquiries' started by RangerCA, 23 May 2017.

1. RangerCA

RangerCA Member

Hello everyone.

I have been experiencing issues with the game since I first got it, and I can't seem to find anyone else with quite the same problem. It *might* just be that my iPad 2 is a fossil in stark contrast with the newer iOS devices out there, but I'm hoping there's an alternative solution to buying a newer tablet.

Anyways, on to the details:
    As stated in the title, I am running iOS version 9.3.3 on an iPad 2. The crashing seems consistent (I know this considering I made quite a few fruitless attempts at eliminating potential issues on the client side. Sorry to everyone team that may or may not have suffered due to my dilemma.) so far, with very few exceptions. There are *very* few instances in which it crashed on the first match after launching (about twice since I started). The majority of the time, I play a battle without even pressing any button other than "Battle" after I launch. As a result, the first match I play has no issues whatsoever. However, if I play a second match without closing the app and relaunching, I will crash anywhere from 5-30 seconds into this new match, thus leaving my team in the undoubtably woeful situation of a 4v5. I can usually tell when it is going to crash with the typical framerate issues that act as a forerunner to my soon amplified sorrow.

The memory leak is even worse if you are trying to use the game's chat room. Sometimes it crashed before I could even send a message about my issue (thought I'd try and ask if anyone else had a similar problem, but BattleBay9000 just wouldn't open the pod bay doors for me). Very rarely has it crashed outside of a battle or the typebox of chat. When it did, it was usually after playing a battle and then simply navigating the ships/crew/market etc..

If there is any way to fix the issue so I can return to freezing, setting fire to, discombobulating, or otherwise simply blowing up my opponents without crashing, that would be glorious. :>

Thank you for your time.

PS. If this has been posted before or already known about, I'm terribly sorry. Did a search prior to this and couldn't find anything relevant to my problem. I can assure you this was my last recourse.

2. Miika

Miika Game Lead

Like you suspected this is caused by your device running out of memory. The game itself is not running out of memory per se but because the device has only 512 MB of memory iOS is really aggressively killing applications to free up memory. Unfortunately there is not much you can do to help this situation. The only thing that might help is to reboot the device, so that it has the maximum amount of memory free when you start playing the game.

We are constantly trying to optimize to game to run better and use less memory. We have already some memory optimizations lined up for the next update too. Unfortunately iPad 2 is just at the very limit, both memory and performance wise. If you ever end up buying a new iPad you won't regret it. Smooth game play makes a world of difference in games like Battle Bay. :)

3. RangerCA

RangerCA Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah, I figured it was most likely the iPad 2's abhorrent specs rather than an optimization issue in the application itself. Good to hear optimization is planned in the future build nonetheless. Optimization improvements are always nice.

If all else fails, I'll probably just replace the poor old paperweight. Apple seems to have been really trying to get out of its post-Jobs slump and it's starting to look like their newest products are worth it. Just haven't been impressed with the 'make everything thinner and more delicate while making minimal improvements to functionality' phase some of these tech companies have been going through. ;P

Thanks again!

4. James Dunn

James Dunn New Member

Research
    Same situation. I'm running iOS version 9.3.5 on an iPad 2. (end of the line for iOS updates on this device)
    Battle Bay crashes several seconds into each battle. I am able to restart and re-join the battle in progress. It then crashes after the battle, especially after playing an ad. Sometimes the game will crash while configuring a ship. Rebooting the device helped...I managed four complete battle cycles before crashing.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2017
  5. Dipesh Thapa

Dipesh Thapa New Member

Same problem bro do u got solution

6. RowBotParrot

RowBotParrot Member

Sound Engineer
    Yep, exactly the same problem...... it worked well, then an update screwed the game up.
    Support reckons no one else is having this problem.... Support told me to come here.
    All the apps work well on my internet connection with my ipad 2.... except this.....
    Battle Bay is flakey most of the time.... hours of crashing, normally wont load or crash in first 30 secs.
    v2.6 was bad, v2.6.1 worked well....
    v2.7 has some of the worst programming ever...... wish they would fix it and EARN their Editors Choice from the Apps Store!
    v2.7.1 is still not out...... weeks of crashing......

gor.030 likes this.
  7. gor.030

gor.030 New Member

I got the same issue on iphone6+ 10.3.3
    Since introduction of custom battles crashing after click that causes screen to change got worse. Never in battle but the last 2 days after EVERY battle. Even though i clear ram before app start. @developers: Pls let us know how to resolve this. Thank you.

8. KevinFreud

KevinFreud New Member

Put a lot of time, energy and cash into this game, reboot and encounter the same problem again on my iPad 2 model. Since the last update, the game has been unable to play. It has been crashing and has only played two games since the update. Unable to restart rewards and upgrade items. I am losing my temper.

9. Micro

Micro Active Member

Thats Occupied
    Yah i can relate but i have too much space for storage and this only game contains lag and crash issues not like my other games would do that oftenly.

10. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist
    game crashing on android too . its crash on almost all kinda devices .

11. benguin8

benguin8 Well-Known Member

I am running android and recently I have been getting game crashes when I am about to join a game. It just kicks me out. I have to launch again and hope to connect before I get deep sixed!

Never happened before, just kind of started now.

Su-57 likes this.