1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Patch Notes v. 2.6 "Experienced Captains"

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Zeus, 14 Nov 2017.

1. yellowocean

yellowocean Well-Known Member

frost behaves much like tesla bolt now, better discretion is needed to keep it effective since one errant shot from a teammate can cancel the frost. It's still a very dangerous combo on 1v1 scenarios just like the stun is now. teammates need to adjust and discern quickly if frosted targets are being lined up for torp shots by their teammates and wait for follow-up shots or go ahead and shoot the target

The Otherguy and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  2. yellowocean

yellowocean Well-Known Member

the problem with the OP frost version was you could get frosted for the whole match and you couldn't do anything about it. i do think the frost nerf was a bit overboard, i'd rather see it have a weaker slow effect rather than have it break on the 1st shot. my take would have been to to remove stacking ability of multiple frost shots (the strongest frost will have the overall slow effect) and reduce the frost strength or increase the minimum speed of frosted ships.

3. Jowiee

Jowiee Active Member

I think doing 1 dmg to defrost is like tapping a toothpick on an ice cube and completely melts. I think a damage cap to frost makes more sense. Perhaps 1k.

The Otherguy likes this.
  4. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    Having played with and against frost, I can now say. Worst nerf since tri-torps. :(

WaveRider_ and A55A51N like this.
  5. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

@The Grim Repair @Zeus
    I'd recommend explaining what this change entails, so much drama & random theories being thrown around the forum atm;
    • Updated matchmaking algorithm for more balanced teams in terms of ships
    What was changed?

6. Kitterini

@Zeus Ill shamelessly bump this!

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Nov 2017
  7. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

You got edited by a mod? What did you type? Also

BUFF TRITORPS
    Tritorps are soo unused in the game that people have even given up complaining xD. Please do something.

The Otherguy likes this.
  8. The Grim Repair

The Grim Repair Community Manager

Let's all take a breath :)

We will shed some light on Matchmaking - but we want to do it in the right format - don't worry we are aware everyone is very interested here.
    Of course we can not go into actual algorithm details - but we will elaborate soon and share more specifically than what the patch notes state at the moment.

9. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Hey, this thread didn't close! Whee!
    Are you guys gonna buff tritorp?

10. The Grim Repair

The Grim Repair Community Manager

Balance changes are always part of the general considerations done when looking at improving the game.
    Can't comment on specifics. ;) (yet)

11. Zombie

Zombie Active Member

i believe matchmaking should be looked into even in regard of guild rivalry thing,
    my guild was top50 e we kept getting matched up against other guilds which really we had no chance against,
    only solution for mine and guilds like mine we found out was to lower overall not by recruiting low not players or leave empty spots in guild...

i believe it's not how it should be intended, maybe do a different winners-type rosters or a different algorythm for rivalries matchups? idk

Evilchicken235 likes this.
  12. Spinners71

Spinners71 Well-Known Member

I'm actually curious why your decision isn't to go into actual algorithm details?
    It seems like it's a very healthy thing for the player base to know exactly how they get matched with/against other players.
    What is there to hide? I mean, if it's straight infamy (which I think is how it was), that a very simple algorithm, which means most players can understand it, which means most players can live with it even when individual matchmaking results of a single game may not be what they want, at least they understand it in a larger context.

When the algorithm is complicated and hidden/cryptic, it's unhealthy because players are left to guess what really gets included and to what degree, and then we have a million different opinions on it. Then when a weird looking matchup happens, players get all worked up about it, and no one can even agree on whether that should or shouldn't be a properly made match.

I've said before, and I'll say again, the simpler the algorithm, the better. The more pure it is towards infamy the better.
    Yeah, you've got to have a mechanism that broadens the search to keep high-ranked players from having to wait too long...
    And yeah, maybe... maybe... have a mechanism to address the worst infamy tankers... (but I'd rather see you address this from an incentive/reward standpoint than a matchmaking one)
    But the simpler the better. The more complicated you make it, the stranger the outcomes you're bound to get from time to time, which just confuses the community.

You probably shouldn't post the actual code, but I would challenge you to really think about just exactly how much you can share - and how that can lead to a healthier community understanding.

The Otherguy likes this.
  13. Evilchicken235

Evilchicken235 Well-Known Member

CSIE Student
    I suppose by actual algorithm details they mean EXACTLY how matchmaking works, like in if I knew the exact algorithm, the thresholds/counters/priorities etc, I could rig games to my favor every match.

We only need to know the basics like the weighting of ship/infamy, how queue is handled, why do we get massive infamy gaps etc. And I hope that’s what they were planning to share in a format that’s informative to the community.

14. Kitterini

We hover around top 10 -- Which in most seasons means ´do 60+´ or accept being #4-5 :) We have nowhere near enough VIP + whales + super active people to compete with that.
    --
    We spend alot more pearls (and time) in the one season where we got matched up against other guilds that complete roughly our number of quests -- I'd imagine that it would generate more pearl usage if guilds got matched based upon either last seasons # of guildquests or their average.. As it is now there are plenty of guilds speculating in keeping total infamy low.
    ----
    I agree to some extend -- It would atleast cause less drama if patchnotes were more clear on what gets changed.
    On the other hand I can also understand why they aren't providing complete transparancy, last few months have shown that a large portion of the playerbase are willing to exploit weaknesses in the system for their own personal gain.

15. Spinners71

Spinners71 Well-Known Member

I'm just eagerly awaiting their explanation. I have seen lots of legitimate questions (like how am I matched when I use my mk3 ship? and is it actually better to NOT upgrade my ship?)... so we will see if those are sufficiently answered. If not, I will appeal again to the Devs to explain that there should be no confusion about those questions, or the many others I've seen (included the ones you listed).

The Otherguy and Evilchicken235 like this.
  16. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

I like the current matchmaking, I believe it has a lot to do with the infamy (what is perfect to me, I believe infamy is the better measure to the player skills + items levels + boat level + capitain tree choices) and something to do with the boat class (what I think to be necessary because there's no way of letting them always balanced, there's always going to be stronger and weaker boats).
    I think the complicated part of it is the countermeasures the devs had to take to face the dishonest players. Unfortunatelly, most humans are dishonest and would take advantage of the algorithm if they knew its details.
    I'm sure they'll keep improving it carefully, but I truelly believe the current system is far from bad. The game today is a lot better than when I started, 6 months ago, the only big mistake I think they did was to nerf the frost launcher that much, the blaster is still deadly 1vs1 situations, but I do not think the launcher was designed to 1vs1 but for 5vs5.
    Maybe a little less Enforcer facing Speeder would be nice for the equillibrium of the battles.

Evilchicken235 likes this.
  17. WaveRider_

WaveRider_ Member

MY POOR FREEZE WEAPONS
    WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO!?!?
    WHYYYYYY

18. Legendary Wilson

Legendary Wilson New Member

Thanks devs for making Frost useless !!! This is not a nerf, u completely made frost useless .” 1st shot removes the frost” is the worst decision u could make

A55A51N likes this.
  19. BEN

BEN Active Member

16 pages tl:dr so im sorry if someone has already brought this up, but what is up with the matchmaking???? Seriously it does not look fair at all. Lots of people are complaining and i havent found any answers as to why this was done. I didnt even think that matchmaking was broken atleast from what i have experienced, so why was it even changed in the first place?

20. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Matchmaking keeps everyone at 50/50. So in an attempt that went horribly wrong to try to make it seem fair by matching equal mk level ships on each side, it's out of control for some in a bad way and for others in a good way

Rainbow Warrior and BEN like this.