1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Remove Turbo From the Game

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Netsa, 2 Nov 2017.

Tags:
  1. Netsa

Netsa Well-Known Member

Most people don't seem to have a problem with Turbo. It's a great item, so great that it's mandatory on every ship in the game at almost every rank. My problem with Turbo stems from that fact. It affects only one stat, so, why not just raise that stat at regular intervals and remove Turbo from the game? Due to the tiny amount of blue items available, this probably shouldn't be done without introducing more blue choices. However, I think it should be in the plan going forward, since it's necessarily filling up a slot for the majority of players.

Why Turbo and not Gear Lube or Rudder? And what about Big Shield?
    Gear Lube and Rudder are both situational additions. You have a choice you can make or alternatives you can use regarding every other blue item, plus any future ones they might add to the game. This doesn't exist for Turbo. Even Big Shield gets a little competition from Bandage, though I recognize things are skewed there too, since Big Shield is the only 2-point blue item available. However, if given a choice of keeping my speed and getting more HP, or losing HP and still having to spend tons of resources leveling a Turbo, I would take the former.

What about those of us that already maxed Turbo?
    I guess hoping that you would let go of the past for the greater good is too much to ask...? No? Well, it's simple, just reimburse everyone for the Turbo. Either through pearls, or by just literally giving back the exact amount of parts they used to level that Turbo to the level they have it at (and filling their sugar bars).

Alternatively,
    since it's the same thing, why not just let us upgrade the Speed stat directly? This way it won't take a slot and we're free to use something else. Since this upgrade wouldn't be shared between ships, it should cost less to max per ship than it does to max a high enough rarity Turbo to the same level. The current Turbos people own right now would give them a head start on the system, up to maxing out the Speed stat instantly if they already leveled a Turbo enough.

Why should this happen at all? Why not just keep the Turbo?
    The number of blue items present should be beefed up so that there's more variety in ship builds and more options for customization. As it is now, the Turbo takes a slot that we could have more freedom to use on something else. Even if more items were introduced, I don't believe that Turbo would be affected because it's simply too good to leave behind. There shouldn't be any item in the game with over 90% usage.

2. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

3. Terry Morgan

Terry Morgan Well-Known Member

Suggestion:start a turbo scrap movement. Scrap your turbo and encourage others to do so as well. If enough support is given to your cause then everyone will scrap their turbo thus removing it from the game! Waiting on confirmation of your turbo scap!

Turkett

4. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

The logic is sound, in a way (everyone uses turbo, so why not free up the slot?) but with that as the basic argument, couldn't you make the same case for every Blue item (except Bandage) to have it removed and let people upgrade the affected ship stat directly? Almost everyone runs a Shield of some manner, why not just let us directly upgrade HP/defense stats?

5. Terry Morgan

Terry Morgan Well-Known Member

Just trade out a blue slot for a yellow on my defender then Ill be happy!! Until that happens I'll be serving icewater in Hades if you need me! LMAO

Turkett

6. retryW

retryW Well-Known Member

I think the OP is correct in this post.
    Chris, I think the difference is, the Turbo is the ONLY item in the game that you would never take another item over.
    Shields are almost certain picks, but sometimes players will toss up between using a bandage over a shield or vice versa. This is not the case with the Turbo. There is no one that would take another blue item over their Turbo. It's just not viable.

It would be nice if I felt like I could use a rudder, but I just can't. It's not good enough comparably.

7. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I agree. I’m a big advocate of subtractive design in games. The best games are never the games with loads of superfluous additions, that’s just noise. What makes a game truely great is when you can’t take anything more away.

Turbo is a solution to a problem that shouldn’t exist. At mk1 I had no interest in it, because all the ships have an acceptable base speed. As you go up, however, without speed training and and a turbo, your ship literally grinds to a halt. Even the mk4 speeder has a base speed way below 1, which makes no sense, and just gets slower as you upgrade.

Shields are also way too good campared to other blue items. I’d really like to be able to run a rudder or gearlube, but over a quarter of my hp is in my Shield. There is no way I can afford to change that out.

I think turbo and shields should probably be reduced, so they’re more of a bonus, rather than essentials, and make up the shortfall by improving ship stats.

Shields could also come with a speed penalty, which would make them more of a playstyle choice (hp/speed), rather than something you’re forced to take.

8. Shadow Moon!

Shadow Moon! Well-Known Member

I have to totally disagree with you the moment I saw the topic.
    There will be advantage to those speeders who use shields instead of turbo and will be even harder to kill given there speed will have already increased because as you said increase overall stats. Having turbo gives more choice.
    Some defenders use it compensating their hp to they will also have higher speed and will wreck any ship.

Mr. Chompers likes this.
  9. Netsa

Netsa Well-Known Member

Everyone's HP would be higher across the board, not just Speeders, assuming everyone fills the slot with a shield (which isn't guaranteed, especially if they add more blue items to the game). That actually puts Speeders in general at a disadvantage since they have the lowest damage potential and aren't built for drawn-out, non-1v1 fights.
    Speed would still need to be upgraded, it wouldn't be instantly maxed for everyone. At higher ranks, speed tends to be maxed regardless, so if Defenders aren't already OP, they still wouldn't be under the new system.

It's not about removing speed from the game, just the item.

Babablacksheep likes this.
  10. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I’m going to link the article on subtractive design from Sirlin.net here.

I think this does a good job of explaining why we don’t need (for example) four types of mortar, and other items, like turbo, that just get in the way. Less is often more.

http://www.sirlin.net/articles/subtractive-design

Netsa likes this.
  11. Craigjnoble

Craigjnoble Well-Known Member

I think turbo should stay, but over all I think the ships base line speeds need to increase (add 30-40% to every one) This would allow more flexibility. If you want to go a bit faster use a turbo but at the same point it’s not mandatory to use one.

I still think the perks for rudder, gear lube and turbo should be able to be fitted to any item (or even any blue item) So you could have a rudder that makes you faster by add speed perks to it. Or a bandage that also increases turret rotation.

12. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Turbo was probably not made to give you speed, but "more" speed. Rrmoving the turbo from the game is like removing a weapon from the game, because it makes your ship that much more rigid. Now don't get me wrong, I hate the fact that turbo takes up a slot. But then again, it's okay to me, and I believe, to most players. We all wanna be faster without spending gold upgrading our ships, I believe?

Shadow Moon! and A55A51N like this.
  13. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

Blue items are kind of badly done overall. Everyone runs the same ones:

Fixer: turbo + standard shield
    Enforcer: turbo + big shield
    Speeder: turbo + big shield + bandage
    Shooter: turbo + big shield + bandage or turbo + big shield + standard shield
    Defender: turbo + big shield + standard shield + 2 bandages or 2 more standard shields

I feel like blue items should be a choice, just like red or yellow items. Right now, that's not really the case. Certain things are just obviously best so everyone runs them. A fix would probably require a total blue item overhaul though, but I'd be in favor of it. I don't even care about my leveled turbos. I'd happily scrap them if they became obsolete.

14. Netsa

Netsa Well-Known Member

That's another idea that accomplishes the same goal. What your idea is, though, is to nerf the Turbo instead of removal. I would rather there be an overhaul instead, since nerfing the item would have higher-level players complaining and burning down the studio. Bunta posted a thread before, complaining about certain legendary items. He explained how you don't even need a maxed Turbo to max the Speed stat, so unless they raise the max speed on all ships, you would need an even lower Turbo to achieve the same speed. That retroactively wastes a lot of time and resources... unless you nerf the Turbo so that it buffs Speed by 30-40% less. Removal forces Rovio to implement a better system, and hopefully without incurring the Wrath of Whales if it's done right.

The perk idea doesn't really make any sense, all the perks are multiplicative. If you made them additive, they would then be nerfed into the ground.
    But you're already spending gold to upgrade the ship, and I'm not talking about Mk. Most parts come from the shop, either directly or from item pieces, and Turbo upgrades get progressively more and more expensive. It would likely still cost sugar+parts to upgrade the stat directly, but even if it didn't? Yes, I would gladly just spend gold to upgrade the stat than sit around hoping for duplicates and waiting for the shop to refresh.

On rigidity, that's why I proposed that they work on creating new blue items first. Your choices aren't made smaller if they put in just one or two additions.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2017
    TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  15. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

+1. Okay, I get it. You want to increase the ship speed by paying gold. Good idea, but then it would mean a large overhaul, right?

Netsa likes this.
  16. Netsa

Netsa Well-Known Member

It doesn't need to be gold, but yeah.

17. American Marauder

American Marauder Well-Known Member

CEO of The Skins Factory
    Actually that was Bunta's forum post.

Netsa likes this.
  18. Craigjnoble

Craigjnoble Well-Known Member

The perk idea would require a change to the perks to make them a bit more worth while.
    What I meant by it is instead being an effect on said item. It would apply directly to the base state of the ship like a crew training effect.
    The same way you can add the +20hp perk to any item. I would prefer a +2% to ship agility that could go on any item allowing a bit more mix and matching.
    Possibly not explaining it right. But also not really part of this topic anyway.

19. benguin8

benguin8 Well-Known Member

just the fact that every new mk level decreases your speed, basically forces everyone to run a turbo to feel even again. Talk about a downgrade.

20. Gnu

Gnu Well-Known Member

Games
    Nope, i am not with you on this one. Turbo is a core item on speeders. If you desperately want to kill my ship so bad then i’m taking my turbo away from this thread.