1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Another thread about floaters

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by ~CanadianGoddess~, 1 Nov 2017.

?

How should floaters be dealt with?

1. Nothing should be done about them

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. There should be a robot replacement

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Other (Explain)

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. ~CanadianGoddess~

~CanadianGoddess~ Member

I know I've made a similar post before, but I feel this needs to be brought up again.
    Apparently, floating can be caused by problems like running out of battery, getting disconnected, etc...
    So, how should this issue be solved? Before, I suggested a robot replacement- though they not be the smartest, they can at least cover up for the "missing" teammate to make the battle a bit more fair (by reporting). What do you think?

ViscountSniffit likes this.
  2. Miku Da Yo 39

Miku Da Yo 39 Well-Known Member

If they are really floating, then let them float and get banned from being reported. If they get disconnected, then their boat becomes invicible until one of your team members die. Then that team member takes over the AFK boat.

3. ~CanadianGoddess~

~CanadianGoddess~ Member

Well, that's a smart idea.

4. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I think there should be a timer at the start of the game that detects if there is no input for the first ~30 seconds. If there is not, then the player will get a visible timer (~15 seconds) on thier display, that warns them they are being counted out. While that is happening matchmaking can search for an appropriate substitute. If there is still no input after the 15 seconds expires then the players are exchanged.

Kalbs, _devill and FloatDaBoat like this.
  5. Miku Da Yo 39

You guys know the smartest idea is to actually copy professional games right?
    Before every match there is always a 30-60 sec warmup. If anyone disconnects during the warmup. The match is aborted.
    Regarding if a player leaves when the match has started, we can either do what i suggested above^^ or if you want to follow how professional games do it.
    Enact levels of offences within a 1 week period.
    First offence: 30 min ban
    Second offence: 2 hour ban
    Third offence: 24 hour ban
    Fourth offence: 1 week ban
    Every week, the offence level decreases by 1 stage. (Ex: fourth offence to third offence)
    What ban duration you receive is dependant on your offence level.
    Because games are short there is no tolerance for disconnects.(Except for crashes on the serverside, all client side disconnects are not tolerated)

~CanadianGoddess~ likes this.
  6. ViscountSniffit

Another idea: after a certain period of inaction, have thier boat autopilot to the capture zone.

It might not be as good as having a real player, but at least they can make themselves useful, and draw some fire, or maybe even help with capture. It’s probably better than just floating doing nothing.

7. Miku Da Yo 39

I think if they are going to do anything about it, they should do it professionally like how i suggested it. If other games do it like that battle bay should follow suit

8. ViscountSniffit

I think it needs to be a solution that doesn’t inconvenience other players, wouldn’t be open to abuse, and is effective.

Having to do ‘warm ups’, and contend with aborted games sounds quite inconvenient. And it wouldn’t be effective when people DC mid-game.

FloatDaBoat likes this.
  9. Miku Da Yo 39

CS:GO is quite a successful game, that's how they do things, why can't it work for BB? If anything there are some serious players in this game. DC mid game can occur, but did you see how tough the bans are? CS:GO makes it work, i believe BB can too! I forgot to mention, the bans apply if you DC during warmup as well, so uh yeah you can''t really abuse this system right here LOL

10. The Grim Repair

The Grim Repair Community Manager

Great discussion. Really like some of the ideas posted - how to best handle floaters is something the team is looking into also.

We will do what’s best for Battle Bay - sometimes only copying what other successful games do might not work for us, however, we of course take what is working well into consideration.
    So we are really happy to hear your thoughts. Keep them coming !

~CanadianGoddess~ likes this.
  11. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a bot replacement. The same boat and items, but controlled by AI. Definitely better than a floater... for some players, you might not even see the difference :D

12. _devill

_devill Well-Known Member

I have seen a similar system in one game where player gets progressive ban for afk (then more afk the longer the ban) and a credit score system linked to the afk which gives rewards if you maintain your score above 90%. Each time player is afk credit score goes down and recovers over time with games completed successfully.

Kalbs and -SeeKnDeStRoY- like this.
  13. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

Ooo, I like this. Positive encouragement. I'm not sure how much the reward should be. A rare crate every 2 weeks maybe?

_devill likes this.
  14. _devill

_devill Well-Known Member

Yeah devs could give out some currency (same as we get in store) or maybe item pieces or parts. The devs could link it with the weekly quest system so everyone behaves during their guild quests. :p

Also as @ViscountSniffit suggested the 30 sec rule, it will be good to have that while in game play and not just at start. I'm sure no player will stick in a single place for 30 sec in a 5 min match.

I guess it will be a good way to point out infamy tankers. If they move during game play, they will not be kicked from the game and will be marked down as tanker. If they go afk bots will carry on for them. They will have no choice but to play anyway which again will help other player notice such players and report them. :p

15. Kalbs

Kalbs Well-Known Member

Floaters should be set to a low priority matchmaking after floating. They get to play with other floaters.

Elena Kr likes this.
  16. ~CanadianGoddess~

~CanadianGoddess~ Member

Welp, like I said, floating can be related to things like battery running out and disconnections, etc. Usually people don't float on purpose (I hope so).
    Like that, I think they should still be allowed to keep continuing with the way they battle, unless they do it more than a few times.