1. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

The 1hour farm experiment - Fixer vs Speeder!

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Kitterini, 21 Aug 2017.

Tags:
  1. monobrow

monobrow Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure every area has a big enough turning circle to get out, you just need to make sure you are positioned corrrectly. I.e not in the middle, but to the left or right depending on where you are likely to he spotted from.

2nd issue might be to do with your speed. Upgrade turbo and run OB, that should be plenty

2. Shvitz McGergen

Shvitz McGergen Member

I like this thread and great experiment. Ive spent significant time as shooter and speeder and a little as a fixer, but love it.
    A team with 1 fixer against a team with zero fixers should win. So odds are as a fixer definitely in your favor. Which is why fixers are so important. However, if you have more than 1 fixer then your team is at an enormous disadvantage because at a certain point, health doesn't help. I.e., extra health doesn't matter. All that HP that boats have when the game ends, could be counted against the fixer because those ships literally didn't need it.
    I play with the speeder mostly because A) have enough great yellow items to justify and B) like the fact that I can control my own destiny. If I have an amazing game, my team will win. That doesn't mean that I always play well, but when I don't, I'm outta there quickly and can move on to the next game. However, as a fixer, your job is to extend the game. And if you try that as a shooter, you're a sitting duck.

3. Shvitz McGergen

Shvitz McGergen Member

It sounds like flanking isn't adding value to your team in that situation. If you opponents have a fixer, they're more likely to group. And if your team is shooting like a good team would, then your enemies are probably watching your team. At this point, sneak up behind them. From here, you've got clumps of enemies, you also have a short escape route that runs in a straight line going from behind your enemy to directly into your team. So stick a big torp in there, fly out right through their middle, wreak havoc cause you just broke their lines and cause their only speeder is now following you right into your line of shooters.
    If you kill their fixer, you just did your job for the game. If you didn't, repeat until you do :)

4. CheekyDevilGod

CheekyDevilGod Well-Known Member

You are wrong, a team with fixer doesn't necessarily mean you have an advantage. It merely means if you lose health, you can get it back.

Having a fixer SEEMS like an advantage cause in the current meta where mortars and fire bombs are the in thing, camping, shooting from cover in "safe places" isn't aggressive enough to defeat a team with fixer cause any dmg you do just ends up gettong healed.

You need to push, flank, focus fire and beat them down for the count. Healing isn't gonna win you a game, dmg is. Having 2 fixers isn't really a disadvantage either.

The Otherguy likes this.
  5. Netsa

Netsa Well-Known Member

Nice experiment! I really think you hit the nail on the head:
    That's something I always knew, but for some reason I never associated it with resource gains. I spend a lot of time farming since infamy hits a wall so frequently, so it's good to know that I should stay off my Fixer when I'm doing that.

6. CheekyDevilGod

Level 10 epic with perks, gives me 1.48 speed. Lvl 11 nitro rare, helps me a lot.

Speed is okay, just need skills and practice

7. Shvitz McGergen

Shvitz McGergen Member

How is what you described not an advantage?

Netsa and Ultrah like this.
  8. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

I do value my time spend (so income over time is more interesing for me than income pr game) - So given that I enjoy both ships I will happily play the one that gets me more value pr minute.
    ---
    If you stick to 1ship you will win 50% of your games, the only reason fixer has higher gold/game is due to me playing it well below its 50/50 infamy.

9. Kitterini

Any opinion on the actual topic?
    Not expecting any drastic change tomorrow, but I'm still left with the question: Why play fixer if the ressource income is 25%+ slower?

10. Miika

Miika Game Lead

I was curious to see how close your one-time test was for the actual average numbers so I dig up some statistics:

Average battle length:
    Speeder Mk5: 171s
    Fixer Mk5: 184s

Given that you were able to play 25 battles in an hour (144s per battle) with all the transitions between the battles and matchmaking it means you were playing significantly shorter battles than players on average.

Average contribution:
    On average Fixer Mk5 earns 12.0% more contribution per battle than Speeder Mk5. Combined with +7.6% longer battles this means on average fixers are earning 4.1% more contribution per time unit than speeders.

11. aKifer

aKifer Active Member

That'a extremely interesting. But is that based on battling time or battle time? Players can exit battles after they die. I am sure many speeders mk5 often play 30 seconds of those 171, but fixers hardly ever die that quickly (unless you are having a really bad game).

Also, (I know I am pushing it) could you disclose average n# of stars as well? :)

Rainbow Warrior and The Otherguy like this.
  12. Miika

Miika Game Lead

True, good point! That is battle duration, not battle time for the player. And yes, fixers have the highest survival ratio of the won battles making their battle time slightly higher too on average.

I don't have the actual star counts available in this data because these are the raw numbers used to calculate the stars. But as I said, on mk5 level fixers get on average 12% more contribution per battle than speeders. This means they should be getting 12% more stars also since stars are just calculated from the contribution.

Netsa, aKifer and Miathan like this.
  13. Kitterini

@Miika Cheers, always nice with numbers!

Perhaps my playstyle on the boats (or lack thereof on speeder!) had a larger impact than I though. I certainly see more games to the end as fixer.

Regarding stars: Weapon of choice (as fixer) seems to impact star count much more than healing done. Blast Cannon is clearly a bad choice for stars, but its the one I can reach highest infamy with (i.e. technically the one I make the most impactful contribution with).
    I think its cool that stars is not purely healing/damage, but some things (fire debuffs) seem overrated. Putting up 30k healing and getting 1* does feel abit rough!

Rainbow Warrior, D3X and The Otherguy like this.
  14. Miika

Miika Game Lead

Yes we agree, and this will receive a slight adjustment to make the distribution more fair.

One thing to factor in here is also that stars are based on your relative performance in the battle compared to others. To be able to heal 30k usually means somebody in the battle is also dealing out some serious damage, making it equally difficult to stand out from the crowd.

15. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Idk how much healing counts but I'm guessing it's same as damage (I may be wrong). There should be a slight % buff to contribution for healing. Maybe if 1 heal = 1 dmg make 1 heal 1.01 heal = 1 dmg. Just to help fixers get that well deserved star for them awesome heals

(My math also may be kinda shitty but you get what I mean)

16. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    But only if you have turbo...

17. Kitterini

It is by no means 1:1. 15k damage will (almost) always outshine 30k healing. If I interpret @Miika 's previous comments correct, then healing in itself is worthless. It only gains value if it leads to something (i.e. the guy you heal deals some damage).

The negative downside is that you have games where you heal for massive amount, but because your teammates fail to deal damage you are rewarded fuck all :) Maybe I'm wrong?

18. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

I knew my math was fucked somewhere but I hope they add some more value to healing

19. aKifer

aKifer Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio is 1 heal = 0.5 damage to be honest.

Rainbow Warrior likes this.
  20. CheekyDevilGod

You deliberately play a ship that everybody knows will take longer to play with, play significantly lesser matches than speeder with it. And then you claim fixers make less gold and sugar than speeder simply because YOU measure it's worth in time rather than per match?.

Sir, please kindly go and play duct tape speeder fixer, the match will end sooner and aid YOUR way of measuring a ship's true worth.

The Otherguy likes this.