1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Please look into the matchmaking

Discussion in 'Bugs, Issues & Inquiries' started by Mr squiqqle, 24 Jul 2017.

1. Totoro

Totoro Active Member

Tree Spirit
    Are you new to the game? It's easier to respond if I knew more about your level. Generally speaking, if infamy is equivalent, you play based on skill. If someone has a better load out than you with the same infamy as you, you are a better player than them and have achieved equivalent infamy with less powerful boats/items. This is more true at the lower tiers of infamy where there is a larger player base.

The issue Mr. Squiggles has (and I share it) is that we are frequently faced with opponents with ridiculously large infamy spreads. It is made worse at the 3k+ range during season resets, when nightmare league players can have artificially low infamy and begin to pound on you; I wouldn't mind this so much if mm wasn't struggling so much finding enough players to make good matches. But it frequently cannot do this.

2. ZipperShock

ZipperShock New Member

Yes, very new...but smart enough to figure this game out. It works the same way at the lower levels as well as the higher levels. My level is 18 currently. Yesterday I was on the losing end 14 straight games. Over half of them was a 5-0 slaughter. Unless you spend a ridiculous amount of money you will never advance. I've had as high as 393 infamy and lost it all the way down to less then 100. Up and down and up and down for the last two weeks. I realized early on that there are less skilled players that influence the beat down sometimes, but enough is enough. I'm not going to bitch about it anymore, but I know I'm not the only one that feels this way. Roughly 64% feel that way about the game...Thanks for the reply!

3. Totoro

Totoro Active Member

Tree Spirit
    Most players I see are f2p or close to it. And they have risen very high. This is much less true in the nightmare league of course...but even there you have some amazingly skilled, f2p people. I would really stick it out if I were you and talk to people here about strat if you like that sort of thing.

And 64%? Hehe. Such an accurate number!!! ;-)

Last edited: 31 Jul 2017
    ThatOnion likes this.
  4. ZipperShock

ZipperShock New Member

LOL...The 64% came off of a vote that I'm assuming someone on this forum requesting the match making be re-evaluated.
    Love the game...I'll stick it out and suck it up...Just needed to be heard. Thanks!

Totoro likes this.
  5. Totoro

Totoro Active Member

Tree Spirit
    Ahh cool! And ya...it's not NOT an issue. lol.

The forums are meant for us whiners, despite what you may have heard!

6. Zeus

Zeus Developer

QA Lead
    What happens when the top 5 in the world fleet with eachother? Who do we match them against?

Totoro likes this.
  7. lolawola

lolawola Active Member

you can always implement various rules in place. of the top of my head, only 1 max 2 nightmare players allowed to be on the same team, etc.
    hopefully you guys aren't out of ideas already... if so, please tell us now.

8. Zeus

Zeus Developer

QA Lead
    Sure, we can make all kinds of rules and restrictions, but it'd be very un-fun if we make a huge feature that only a handful of players can use. We want to bring more organized battles at some point but our current system does not support it.

9. lolawola

lolawola Active Member

why only a handful? nightmare players are already being matched with others at 3k infamy, so dont see any difference. most of the player base is stuck at lower leagues anyway. if you implement for example various ifamy ranges, kinda like leagues, that players are placed into upon forming a 5 man fleet, am sure it wont be unfun :) e.g. if their collective infamy is between 400-600, next 700-900, 1000-1300, etc. of course you can make it wider/thinner what you feel is right. then when a teams collective infamy surpasses a certain range, they will be automatically placed into the next league, pit against another team. waiting times may increase a bit, but not much. i personally would wait the extra time. if by some coincidence wont be an appropriate team currently searching, then can get an option to disband/wait longer/try next harder league. whatever i hope what i wrote makes sense, i just woke up :)

10. Rango8

Rango8 Well-Known Member

Is there any chance we can expect new features of any kind within the next month?

11. Totoro

Totoro Active Member

Tree Spirit
    For 5v5 death matches, they would play the best team (best win ratio) available and win or lose. You are assuming matches have to be fair. But the best team is the best team until someone can figure out how to knock them off. There is clearly a player base that is willing to play these type of competitive best of the best matches. And yes, some teams will win or lose mostly too.

Just let people in the same league or some other constraint play each other in groups of their own making for best team of the season. Guilds will help organize teams. They will wait in a lobby or, perhaps, schedule matches with forfeiting rules in place for not showing up. This is not hard to figure out. And for now, many would be fine if you just let us creat friendly matches with any 10 players that we self organize...just for ha has. We really want more variety.

By the way, the top 5 individual players may not be the best combo for a 5v5 fleet. You need role players and organization. Team dynamics changes who is best. And it is a cool thing.

Last edited: 1 Aug 2017
  12. Jerbears

Jerbears Active Member

You could follow the Matchmaking algorithm from other 5v5 Moba's like DOTA. You can only queue up as 1, 2, 3, or 5. In the case of 5 you can only be matched against another teams of 5. The matchmaking does take a little longer. Average wait time increases from 10 seconds to up to 5 minutes. But that's just how it goes given the player base. I think having the option will increase the number of people playing. My friends all have discord so we are waiting for the opportunity to group as 5 (like can't wait). As for matching against fair team's the problem you always have are "Surfs". Basically low infamy accounts with good gear that drop the total average of the team. This will then allow the highest guys to climb easier. Above someone mentioned just going off the highest person's infamy. That's a fantastic idea, feel like that solves all the problems. Would be up to the group to make sure everyone is close together

13. Zeus

Zeus Developer

QA Lead
    If we made 5v5, we'd only match versus other 5 man premades. My problem is who do we match the top 5 world with if they decide to fleet together? Will they never get a match? Or will every match they play be favorable for them? Neither solution is good.

14. SCOOTY PUFF Jr

SCOOTY PUFF Jr Active Member

bring it in for a special event, say 48 hours. Let all these folks get steam rolled by the higher level pre-made teams, that should stop everyone asking

Cyberfisch likes this.
  15. Totoro

Totoro Active Member

Tree Spirit
    Put in floors:
    Players could each have a 5v5 ranking tied to their individual mks and premade win/loss ranking. Alternatively, they just have the win/loss rankings and can only fleet with the same mk. Any premade would then be matched based on a cumulative player-ranking formula. The matching could have floors for the cummulative ranking that prevent premades too low from playing against premades too high. So yes, a premade that is too powerful would have to sit in the lobby because there are no contenders to take them on. They may need to find a teammate with lower ranking to find a match.

If you choose to enter the cage, be prepared to get pummeled; that is the way it works. We are asking for something different and more based on win/loss ratios than the infamy system. It is an arena that the players can play in teams of their making and face the consequences. The infamy system is more individual based, and you would continue to have that of course.

The simplest solution - player controlled:
    Don't worry about automated matchmaking. Let anyone form a team of 5 and accept/deny match requests from any other team of 5. They find opponents themselves. While keeping the results of these wins and losses may be fun for the players, even just being able to have friendly non-recorded matches would be a great start.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2017
  16. lolawola

lolawola Active Member

i gave you a solution, but you assumed it would be unfun. there are players below nightmare league too, which i assume is more than a handful.
    the current 1 mode is very unfun imho, and why would you allow 5 top players to fleet with each other in the first place? where is the challenge in that?
    and if your current system does not support it, change it, tweak it, make it work...

Dez Lew likes this.
  17. Jerbears

Jerbears Active Member

That would be a challenge but is there that few players at the top? I'm bouncing around 1800 so I haven't seen the matches. Well they might just never find a match? If you require the ranking to be within 500 infamy. Also it might not be a bad thing to play the same team over and over. You will eventually know who the main damage dealers are on their team and the movement they go for. Might require switching out a defender for a speeder or a shooter for a healer. Or changing the weapons, ex: less mortars more cannon. After 4-5 games playing the same 5v5 team. If you lost all and they won, the infamy difference would be greater than 200. So with a max difference of 500, you could only play the same team ~12 times.

18. WaveMaker

WaveMaker Active Member

One major advantage I see with a full fleet is that it would be easier to remove AFK players. AFK players ruin the game for 4+ people when they just float there. It would also provide a reason for being in a guild so you can connect easier with those you wish to fleet with.

Dez Lew likes this.
  19. Miika

Miika Game Lead

I'd like to believe that most of the players would want us to spend our time developing real features instead of spending the time developing something just to prove a point and then to disable it...

There is, but the top5 fleeting together is just one of the problems. An other one is the matchmaking. Players are already complaining constantly about battles having too wide infamy spread, and it is without imposing any restrictions on the matchmaker. If it would be only allowed to create 5vs5 battles from other teams with similar infamy you'd might have to wait ridiculously long in the queue (Like hours). And all those people waiting there in the fleet queue would be away from the normal queue making also the normal matchmaking worse since the pool size would be smaller.

20. lolawola

lolawola Active Member

fair enough...
    then i suggest you make an official announcement with huge red letters, that there wont be any fleet battles larger than 2, so we can stop asking for them...
    obviously its difficult to create a strategic fleeting environment, or maybe you just dont want too.
    btw, funny how the thread derailed from its original topic, lol

anyway, am done here. off to play pacman, or something else. time to abandon ship and look for some new treasure on the playstore.

good luck with your game.