1. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

To the Devs, regarding Infamy

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by American Marauder, 28 Jun 2017.

1. American Marauder

American Marauder Well-Known Member

CEO of The Skins Factory
    You missed the original point of the rant in the first place. That the Infamy system is flawed. It doles out infamy like participation awards. Show up, if your team wins you get +24 even if you didn't do a damn thing. Score 24K in damage and 3 kills while your teammates circle jerk and get killed and you lose -24 infamy points. That's ridiculous. Your point score, even if it's only a partial thing, should be based on your merits in the match. If you're team loses but you do well, then maybe you don't lose the whole -24, maybe you lose -10 if you kicked ass but still lost. The opposite applies, don't do a damn thing or die 30 seconds in and your team wins, then you don't get the full +24, maybe you get +10.

My real world job is to tailor user experiences for the UI design studio i own. So i know this could be done in a better way - a way that still awards points as a team, but adjusts to compensate based on merit. That's all i'm saying.

And I recognize your name. But we haven't play that much that you can say i should be changing my playing style because i scored high points but we lost because i wasn't a "team player". If i scored high points, its because i'm trying to kill every opponent i can. It's not like i think "hey i should shoot at the guy next to the fixer so i can score some high damage". I don't a flying f--k about damage scores, i'm in it to win it. High damage usually means my opponents are being beat down so if i don't end them, a teammate is. A game based on hit points, damage is supposed to equal death.

2. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

You must be having a bad day. Or life idk...
    And just to get facts straight I'm above 2k thanks
    Screenshot_2017-06-30-22-12-07.png

3. American Marauder

CEO of The Skins Factory
    I've never even heard your name. And if you mean i'm lobbing missiles over the side of the wall, or sniping from the distance, you better believe it. I play ships and use weapons that are meant to kill long distance and not meant to scrap up close. They're slow moving and hard to turn. So yeah i try to do damage from farther away, especially away from speeders with their stun bolts. So if that annoys you... good. It helps win games.

4. Joey who

If it helps win games then why are you complaining about losing...

SlowSpeeder and GuerrillaPvP like this.
  5. Stelmo

Stelmo Well-Known Member

You don't annoy me at all when you're an unfriend. to be clear though, are defender and shooter not supposed to be effective at close range?

6. Nova

Nova Member

You're playing Defender completely wrong.
    Defender is best used to soak up hits, to distract the enemies while your allies attack.

7. American Marauder

CEO of The Skins Factory
    First, I don't recognize your name at all. So I doubt you've killed me. Show me a battle log screenshot where we've played. What's your infamy score? Let me see a screenshot. And I die plenty. Doesn't everybody? I killed Orpheus twice in one day. It happens.

Second, the answer to your question is it depends on what you're using for weapons. If you're a Defender that is using cannons, flare guns and close-up weapons, then sure be up close. If you're like me who predominantly uses two missile batteries, napalm and sniper rifles, who forgoes a rudder to use two bandages, with no gear lube or rudder, then no, I'm not going to play it close at the start of the match. First of all everyone wants to shoot at the big, fat blue guy (or lady). So even if you have 10K hit points, you're going to to go down in flames when everyone is shooting at you. I'm up close more with my Shooter than my Defender. It's just more maneuverable. But a good strategist learns from their mistakes. I've died to many time from speeders with tesla bolts and have learned my lesson. I let the fast ships handle up close combat while i stay further away dealing damage from afar. I must be doing something right:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That was one of two in a row i dominated. I'm not saying i'm the biggest killer in the Bay, but i must be doing something right.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2017
  8. American Marauder

CEO of The Skins Factory
    I disagree. That's the speeders job. They go in like little, fast mosquitoes distracting everyone while the shooters and defenders mop up. They and the enforcers. They have the Tesla shields and bolts.

9. American Marauder

CEO of The Skins Factory
    This is has gotten off-topic. I stand by my original post... Infamy could and should be done based more on the merit system and less in part, on participation. It could be done on both. Stars are based on the merit system, so why not infamy?

And any of you have a gripe with me or the way i play, see me in the Bay. We can discuss it there.

10. Nova

Nova Member

You do realize his IGN (in-game name) doesn't have to be the same as his forum username, right?

11. American Marauder

CEO of The Skins Factory
    Obviously you don't, but unless otherwise specified, why would i assume otherwise? And why would someone not use their in-game name on the message board for the actual game?

12. Nova

Nova Member

"why would I assume otherwise?"
    Because there's always the possibility of their IGN being different from their forum name.
    "And why would someone not use their in-game name on the message board for the actual game?"
    People have their reasons.

13. American Marauder

CEO of The Skins Factory
    Unless i was in Witsec, I couldn't imagine not wanting people associating my name here, with my in-game name. It just gives you a chance to be social outside of the Bay. You know like how you and I are just getting along famously?

14. Nova

Nova Member

...what?

15. American Marauder

CEO of The Skins Factory
    Really?

Witsec... Witness Protection. It was a joke.

16. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

Yeah still don't get how i'm being rude per say.

This infamy system is obviously designed around the team. That being you lose as a team equally and die as a team equally. damage is not everything. Someone dealing 10k off a defender but unable to kill it should not be awarded any additional merit. There are different roles in this game and when you can neutralize or eliminate an enemy effectively as a team, and leading to a win, that is more important than damage. Sometimes making a block or stunning someone at the right pivotal time can change the outcome of the game. Neither of that is dealing damage. If HIGH damage is all you look at then you have it sort of wrong.

As for your infamy, i get you have a loaded ship and plenty of strong weapons that you have bought with expendable cash. And you had to add the "studio i own" part along with it as if you're trying to prove that your some hotshot, just like how you dangle your infamy among these people trying to help you on your forum. That is what i see as rude.(and you said i was?)

As for the infamy complaint, there are plenty of threads on this forum that talk about why it's made the way it is. With Rovio devs chipping in as to the challenges and why they think it works. Perhaps you should read it. As well, players have made constructive ideas and provided brainstorm / creative ideas on how it can be fixed. Rather than insulting players here on their achievements, you need to respect each other here as equals. To be honest, American Marauder, you may be high infamy but you're still new to the game.

As for UX and UI, not sure how that applies to game mechanics and game dev.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2017
  17. Joey who

Exactly. I used to have lots of 10k+ damage games as shooter where my teams would lose and I was stuck in the 1600s. I switched to speeder and now I do 3k-8k damage but in a short period of time which gets enemies killed faster than dealing 10k+ damage over a long period of time. Now I see my teams winning more and my infamy going up.

3k-8k may not be a lot to you guys up in ace 1 but in the 2k zone as a mk4 it sure helps win.

SlowSpeeder and David Bonaparte like this.
  18. American Marauder

CEO of The Skins Factory
    1. Damage is one example i mentioned. Kills and heals should also be factored in. Look at the domination screenshot i posted a little while ago. Except for Fixers who aren't expected to do a lot of damage or kills, in that case I got double the next amount of damage and all 5 kills. Does Baccus really deserve the same infamy in this particular case? I would feel the same if the roles were reversed. And they have been plenty of times believe me.

Infamy should be based on the player's performance not the team's. You don't get to pick your teammates. It's a broken, participation system that i feel is done poorly. Let stars represent the team, but to me Infamy is personal since YOUR infamy score determines which league you go in. We have a different team every game, so why should my personal league placement be based on and tied to other players? That's freaking stupid. At the very least it should more merit based. That goes for losing teams as well. Why should players who did great on the losing team, share the same negative amount as the ones who died quickly. Go back to the screen and look at the bottom player... He killed no one and got 1113 dmg points while Dalek Supreme got 4 kills and 9399 damage points. Why should Dalek who kicked ass suffer the same infamy loss as Izeen? Answer.... he shouldn't.

2. What the hell does: "a loaded ship and plenty of strong weapons that you have bought with expendable cash." have anything to do with anything? If someone bought me an F1 racer, am i suddenly a race car driver or do i own a race car? Let me answer that for you... I would own a race car.

3. Because user experience design whether its an application or a game, is about making a better user experience for the end-user for a particular product. All products. We design things to work better. We designed Disney's online music store which is completely different than the financial tech application we're redesigning now. I get paid a lot of money to fix things that are wrong. That's why.

19. Nova

Nova Member

1. Like D3X said, "there are different roles in this game and when you can neutralize or eliminate an enemy effective may as a team, that is more important than damage. Sometimes making a block or stunning someone at the right pivotal time can change the outcome of the game. Neither of that is dealing damage." And neither of which does any healing or kills any opponents, either.
    2. It has to do with you flaunting your infamy around like some egomaniac. He was pretty much saying "we get it, you have that stuff and you have lots of infamy."
    3. Designing a store is not the same as designing a game though.

D3X and David Bonaparte like this.
  20. Joey who

This guy doesn't understand teamwork. He thinks doing damage is everything.