1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Mortars Nerf; Rant

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by bhar47, 1 Jul 2017.

1. bhar47

bhar47 New Member

While the other nerfs come & go, it has made way for more spam mortar setup as mk3 / mk4 shooter in lower leagues at 500-1k infamy. I know that this does not constitute a bigger player base but it seems to me as a crucial part of the game where players spend more time on understanding game mechanics and analyzing different strategies than having to actually play through it and perform testing.
    It saddens me to see a significant number of players just rushing to mk4 shooter only to have a spam mortar setup and push their way up. I feel like this is ruining the point of being a shooter exactly.
    In my perspective what can be done to address this is to have limited number of radially damaging weapons at different tiers of ships. (2 out of 4 slots in an mk4 shooter for example.) This also gives more strategic aspect to it.
    Note: This is just my opinion about the current situation at lower leagues, please don't hate. I'm an f2p player for now. Sorry for the long post. Thank you for your time. Cheers!
    PS: I like how updates actually feel like an update in this game! :p
    EDIT: Thank you all for the replies. Like one of them said, it gets a little tough for fixers to survive barrage of mortars even under self healing, let alone fixing teammates in bigger (open) maps like chill zone or damage depot. Matchmaking has been pretty uneven too.

Last edited: 6 Jul 2017
    Rainbow Warrior and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  2. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

All weapons in this game are ranged, so what do you mean by limited number of ranged weapons?

Chad Iyet likes this.
  3. aaaxxd

aaaxxd Member

I am also around that league, and I see mortars as balanced or even slightly UP except Berta. Some maps have obstacles and ceilings that make mortars useless, so they are somewhat Russian roulette weapons. I can totally see berta and explosive cannons getting slight nerf in the future though.

4. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

There is a reason mortars won't get you high in infamy. It's battle bay not mortar bay.

They are balanced. No need to nerf or buff any of the mortars.

Also, sniper nerf wasn't even that extreme. My sniper still does around 320 dmg and 750 with a crit at only level 30 rare.

5. CheekyDevilGod

CheekyDevilGod Well-Known Member

Snipers weren't so op that they needed the nerf

But to be honest the nerf didn't change much gameplay wise

No decent shooter who understands the game mechanics would use a sniper for it's base dmg

Shooters or any class players who take the game seriously use sniper for the range, projectile speed and insane critical dmg and crit rate

If you think that measy 7.5% base dmg reduction made snipers pointless I'm gonna have to pull a douche and say you don't understand the game mechanics enough

A 7.5% crit chance or range reduction would cripple the sniper maybe

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  6. Roundtable

Roundtable Member

Please, devs, please limit the number of mortars available to each team or put increase the duration of cooldown as a fixer, It is becoming very hard to survive under CONSTANT BARRAGES OF MORTARS, thanks to this update, I can't even heal myself enough before another round of mortar coming straight at me., I only have 38 points health pulse and you devs decided that was too OP and limit the healing down to 16 points.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME!, how will you expect me to surviving in those rains of mortar with 1/2 original effectiveness of my pulse. Currently the game isn't balance for us fixers WE GETTING SLAUGHTERED BY THEM!

In my last match, the unfriends had a total 8 different mortars (including legendary), they were cycling through them like a kid eating chocolate bars. I can't even outrun the first wave, before the second wave arrives

7. David Bonaparte

David Bonaparte Active Member

when do mortars stop being useful?

8. bhar47

bhar47 New Member

Oops! My bad. I meant radially damaging weapons. Thanks for notifying me.

9. bhar47

bhar47 New Member

I agree that I jumped the gun with sniper nerf rant. But Berta still seems pretty op. Other may be balanced, but imagine 4+ mortars coming in at a fixer with 2k health damages half the ship in one go. The worst part is not knowing which is which to intake least damage. And the ships down before we cycle though a healing round.

10. CheekyDevilGod

If you find out that the enemy team is running more mortars than you

Then immediately get as close as possible to them

Let those with mortars and other long range weapons stay at the back while you deal dmg in close quaters

Mortars become useless in close range and if enemy team has a lot of mortars, getting close will make half their weaponry useless, hence you will have more effective weapons than the enemy ensuring your team does more dmg than the enemy

Unless you have a team of fools who are too stupid to get this simple logic, mortar bay shouldn't trouble you much

I don't see why so many fixers complain about the lack of survivability

Neither good players nor noobs will try to target and hit the fixer first

You lot must be using an overboost and charging up front or running around the map

If you do, Kindly stop playing fixer and pick defender, shooter or speeder instead

A fixer is a ship that fixes other ships

It should stay at the back of the team and heal people

It has 1 weapon slot at mk4, it neither has the best health nor the best dmg nor the best speed

A fixer has no need nor duty at the front leading the charge or away from the team covering the whole map

If you are charging or away from the team

You have 0 rights to complain about getting killed

Why the fudge are fixers with 1 weapon slots running around the maps covering the whole arena?

What can you do with 1 weapon alone away from the team?

Stick together with the team and stay back

Let us protect you and do the damage dealing

You just do the healing

EyeOfDoom likes this.
  11. Zangetsu

Zangetsu Well-Known Member

Why

do

you

type

this

Earel, TheFixer27, lolawola and 4 others like this.
  12. CheekyDevilGod

Makes it easier to read.

13. monobrow

monobrow Well-Known Member

Hmmm

Hasn't caught on for the last couple of thousand years though.

Maybe it just needs a little longer.

S
    T
    I
    C
    K

A
    T

I
    T

Epekka and CheekyDevilGod like this.
  14. Robos

Robos Member

I'm at 2000-2400 and there aren't many using more than 1 mortar due to speeders getting so common you won't hit them with mortars. Using OB and nitro tactically helps to evade the barrages better.

David Bonaparte likes this.
  15. aaaxxd

aaaxxd Member

Your writing style makes it extremely annoying to read. Double spacing is for when you want your essay grammar-corrected.

Also, fixers do need to run around a bit. It is common for a team to split, with some receiving all the fire and the others not getting hit at all. And it is far better to keep a low-hp player alive than to spam pulse at one with nearly full hp. Differentiating between speeders/1v5ers (which we should not chase) and unlucky guys which need some heal when running around is just a part of a fixer's job description.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2017
    Zangetsu likes this.
  16. lolawola

lolawola Active Member

agreed. its so annoying, i dont even bother reading it:)

17. H.A.D.E.S

H.A.D.E.S Well-Known Member

I don't know why people are talking about nerfing mortars and shooters these day... Don't just cry about getting shot by mortar showers...What about torpedos coming from here and there (nobody talks about that). I myself use mortar but I do also get shot by lots of mortars at the same time sometimes, but that's not enough to stop me.
    If ur not comfortable with getting shot by mortar then use one urself too or ( just use over boost or turbo) for speed...u will know it's not that easy to get shot by mortars easily loosing lots of HP (except big Bertha).
    Either make some changes in your load out or try some other play style.
    (I'm not pointing anyone, just my own perspective)

ShøckWãve likes this.
  18. CheekyDevilGod

Are you using your phone or computer?. Typing in paragraphs only makes it look long.

If I type in paragraphs without double spacing, it looks shorter but is extremely difficult to read

And yes, there are some really great fixers as you state. But the number of fixers who hit overboost at the start and charge in the front of the whole team assuming they can tank are higher

Be honest, how many fixers have you met who run away alone, try to do dmg with a songle red weapon, rely on pulse to self heal and run back?

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  19. GunnyHiGHway

GunnyHiGHway Member

Is english your second language? Just curious.

20. The Otherguy

The Otherguy Well-Known Member

Tech support
    He left. :(