1. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Something needs to change about mortars

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by xxxBISMARCKxxx, 26 Jun 2017.

1. xxxBISMARCKxxx

xxxBISMARCKxxx Well-Known Member

As I progress in this game it seems to be more, rather than less, composed of shooters sitting back firing mortars at each other. They don't really even try to dodge, it's mostly a contest of who has the strongest loadout. That's not good game design because that's not a very good game.

I don't think it's what people really prefer it's just that the game is rewarding them the most for that. Which is why something needs to change about mortars- need to make them have a different risk/reward ratio, need to change the rate of decline in damage from center to edge, something. Because tbh I don't think most of us really came to sit and spam mortars at each other from across the board.

Jaja of Opobo likes this.
  2. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

At this pointI don't find mortars to be anything more than a tertiary weapon. They are good to make your opponent move, but the low damage and low ceilings getting in the way reduce their effectiveness. That being said, in a battle with 5 opponents all bombarding you with mortars and such it's tough to survive.

3. Travi5

Travi5 Member

Later in infamy mortars are much less effective due to the variety of ships that move much faster.

HappyUnicorn789 and Miathan like this.
  4. xxxBISMARCKxxx

Hmm that's an argument that makes sense. Maybe where I am in Master 3 is just peak mortar. But it's pretty bad in terms of gameplay- so many people just standing around mortaring back and forth, it's not that fun.

5. Winkleberry5

Winkleberry5 Active Member

Not going to lie but mortars are very much useless in higher infamy, only because speeders will eat you alive. Torps and Point base weapons is what will get you far in NightMare League. Unless you are playing all defenders/shooters which is very rare occasions.

6. ~CanadianGoddess~

~CanadianGoddess~ Member

Like the others, I think the same- mortars aren't as useful, the higher in infamy you go.
    First, each team usually doesn't have all the players clustered up together, which is when mortars can actually come into use. Also, only the slow boats (pretty much defender) are the "main" targets. The other ships can escape easily. And even IF some ship does get caught by the mortar, it barely does any damage!

7. xxxBISMARCKxxx

All these are actually more reasons that mortars should be changed.

8. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

Mortars are bad weapons & the shooters that sit back passively have lower infamy than the shooters we dare to adopt an aggressive playstyle.

It would make no sense to nerf something that is already a terrible idea to use.

Travi5 likes this.
  9. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

One word. Satanas.

10. TheAntiSnipe

I admit that he doesnt use mortars per se, but he is gooooooood

11. xxxBISMARCKxxx

I'm not saying nerf I am saying change something about them to encourage a more active strategic playing experience. I am saying that a little more than half the boats in any game from when I started until now are shooters, and around Master 3 shooters have about 2.8 mortar type weapons (including napalm and firebomb) on average. I am saying that it is leading to many matches that have too much of people sitting there shooting mortar weapons at each other, and it's made the game less fun.

People are like, just grind through this less fun part, then things will be better because those weapons won't be worth much later. OK that takes awhile and it feels like, meh. Yay grind. And how about the people who invest a lot into their mortar weapons and then find out they don't do much at higher infamy? I don't dislike those people, I don't want anybody's weapons to be useless at high infamy. I just want the game to be fun all the way along. Since I spend time and a few bucks on it.

JustinBeaver likes this.
  12. dead_insect

dead_insect New Member

Mortars are fun :) I fire a LR mortar in front of the enemy ship and then hit them with a big berta when they stop to change direction / panic. It's not easy but when it works I feel goooood :D

Epekka likes this.
  13. Travi5

Travi5 Member

I like going against mortar players. I know the maps and where mortars are useless due to the ceiling.
    I also love to charge mortar users. Yes, I take damage if they know how to aim. But what can they do when I am up in their face?

14. yellowocean

yellowocean Well-Known Member

as you advance in infamy and upgrades, mortars become less effective... mk5/mk6 shooters and defenders can consistently dodge mortar fire by then... so just hang in there. in the meantime, make use of your surroundings in the map. the best counter to mortar users is to get close to them and hit them point-blank. i ditched my mortars a long time ago...

HappyUnicorn789 likes this.
  15. Joey who

Joey who Well-Known Member

Mortars might be annoying when you start but when you start getting in the infamy with mostly speeders they are almost useless.
    (Not always the case though, LR mortar and big berta are pretty popular)

16. Joey who

I used to rock 2 mortars just to do this in the lower leagues lmfao it's such an evil strat but it works

dead_insect and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  17. TheAntiSnipe

I used to do firebombs and napalm just to watch the enemy team tryna run like hell, looooool

Joey who likes this.
  18. Joey who

You've probably made me mad in my old Shooter days! :mad: Haha.

19. TheAntiSnipe

Lol where r u now in infamy? I lost a lot and reached the 700s, and now i dont play cuz im scared that they will call me a seal clubber. If you are in the early 1000s, lets fleet once in a while. I was 970 at max, but now i have a mk 4 shooter that, I'm afraid, is to much of a beast for people in the 700s

20. Joey who

In the 1600s. Dropped a lot as I was practicing mk3 speeder because I was getting mk4 soon. Now i'm climbing back up slowly using mk4 speeder.