1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

DevReply Fix the targeting system

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by D3X, 20 Apr 2017.

1. yellowocean

yellowocean Well-Known Member

if you're scope is moving too slow, that might be because your turret turn speed is still slow... manual targetting can help the scope move faster a bit

2. lolawola

lolawola Active Member

I have the same problem. as a speeder, you need to cotrol too many things at once, all in high speeds while paying attention to your surroundings, controlling the camera and choosing targets. the slow turret doesnt help either and i often lock on to someone way in the back, when there are enemies in front of me. or while am turning my ship, i see a person right in front of me, yet my turret is still pointing somewhere at the moon and targets whoever it wants.
    the current targeting system is a big mess and needs either fixing or a complete overhaul. like in the other thread where it suggested to click the enemy at the top roster.
    currently its imposible and super annoying to properly control it, unless you're sitting ducks with plenty time to turn your camera, boat and turret to find the target that you wish to shoot at.

3. yellowocean

that's not a targetting system issue... it's the limitation of the speeder having a moderate turret turn speed... if you think the turret turn for speeders is slow, then try shooters hahaha shooters take an eternity to turn their guns.

4. GhostYasuo

GhostYasuo Active Member

This is definetly one of the most frusterating things.For example the entire team focuses one guy at the start of the game and one more hit he will die.But nope the crosshair suddenly goes haywire and switches to a different target and the shot falls right inbetween your original target and the one it jumps to.And the dude who is low runs back to the fixer and heals up.This has happened to me so many times :(

lolawola likes this.
  5. lolawola

lolawola Active Member

you clearly have no idea what am talking...
    and yes, its the fault of the targeting system. it doesnt even target the closest enemy ship, sometimes it even targets guy behind me. and once you're locked on and are in cqc, moving in circles, the crosshair wiggles and i miss my shot. it doesnt stick to the target like its supposed to.

6. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

I assure you that yellowocean knows what you're talking about. I know what you're talking about. And I started this thread. I believe the problem still exists and the targeting system can be improved, and I've pointed out the underlying problem, I also think there should be a control to target ships and cycle between them too as GhostYasuo has mentioned. What yellowocean talks about is how he has coped with it and accepted it's faults and worked around it. I have worked around it as well, and accepted that some shots cannot be made and to be patient and choose to fire on a better occasion. Definitely missed opportunities for sure, but better than missing or not hitting the target.

7. lolawola

lolawola Active Member

I've read all the comments here, and he said the targeting system is fine and embraced it. and i was pointing to the shooter comment, which idk why was funny. if i was playing a shooter, i wouldn't have this problem. so clearly he has no clue what i meant...

8. cgr3asy

cgr3asy Member

i play with sticky and it isnt a problem, sticky is the best way for speeders not to distract you aiming thing you just need to play more!

9. D3X

D3X Well-Known Member

I've looked at both Sticky and non-sticky as stated later in the thread. This is more of a high level observation of what is seen is possible problem and what possible solution. That said

I'm likely further ahead of you in game. This is based on my experience of playing the game at the time when I wrote the initial thread (3k-ish), I felt strongly that the targeting system needed work. I have over 6.5k games under my belt now, and my view has changed a little. I still think that the targeting is inferior to other games, however there are ways to go around it as you "play more" in the game. It is "quirky" and requires "getting used to" for the most part. So perhaps it was by design, but it does have voids or gaps in the target system that makes you miss some opportunities by either; missing or not being able to shoot at all.

Last edited: 20 Jun 2017
    cgr3asy likes this.
  10. yellowocean

i've used all the boats... specially speeder... i was primarily a speeder before i keep getting stuff better suited for shooters hence why i shifted to shooter now... so just saying, man... you don't need to be so condescending in your tone. anyways, sounds like you've figured it all out... goodluck to you

11. The Blackfyre

The Blackfyre New Member

I feel you, its annoying. Its really hard to switch targets too. I suggest we show the devs the targeting system of War Robots. In that game, the lock on button, if it is already locked to an enemy player, when pressed again will retarget to the closest enemy in your pointer. Sliding the screen by a little would remove lock-on, allowing free movement of screen.

12. dead_insect

dead_insect New Member

This is annoying but don't see this as a problem to be fixed per se. It adds to the randomness of the game, and randomness is a BIG part of Battle Bay. The way the treasure boxes work, you can't choose what you get, you can't fleet up with 5 friends, etc. The enemy has the same problems, so it's even at the end of the day. This game isn't Counterstrike.

The Blackfyre likes this.
  13. KILGOR

KILGOR Member

This targeting system is terrible......I have locked on targets in advance and then the targeting system unlocks and then I try to lock again and this repeats for several time...so frustrating. If you have many players complaining about the targeting system....THEN THERE IS A PROBLEM!!!!.......Stop wasting time justifying your position and Get it FIXED !!!!! Because as it is, I will NOT be buying anything in this game. Does that put things in perspective for you ????

14. KILGOR

KILGOR Member

WWR did have a problem with their targeting but they fixed it and none of the player complain about it.

15. Netsa

Netsa Well-Known Member

I actually agree with you, I just don't know what they could do to improve the system.

I just have lock-on turned on for 90% of the match to get around it. I'll lock towards the enemy even if I'm not actually firing at them. Leaving lock off makes it easier to maneuver the ship, but good luck trying to shoot anything. As soon as you fire, the crosshair moves and your shot goes wide. Or, waste time aiming manually and deal with a lower DPS.

Nope. Having my screen locked in one direction gets a little weird sometimes when I'm not looking at the map, but I've gotten some sweet shots that way since it helps me focus. The reticle will only lock to the middle of a ship, even if you could easily hit the sides. Abuse the hitbox, fire before it turns green.

16. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I have a good idea. After the reticle snaps on, if the user is pressing the button to shoot, do not allow auto-snapping till the shot is fired. Mind you, the user should be able to manually switch while firing

17. KILGOR

KILGOR Member

Here is another problem with the targeting system......any point and shoot weapon or torpedo that has zoom capability. I want to shoot my weapon at a target that just went off my radar, but at soon as I zoom my weapon, the target lock mechanism kicks in and tries to pull my weapon to lock on a nearer target.

18. ~CanadianGoddess~

~CanadianGoddess~ Member

That's true, and I agree with that. The targeting controls are really sensitive, and it's difficult to target a ship before locking it, because it just gets attracted to the nearest other enemy easily. And yes, there should be better controls for targeting...

19. TheRedSpeeder

TheRedSpeeder Well-Known Member

They are bringing "next" and "previous" target on next patch (2,4) to help targeting so please be patient and wait for next patch :)

20. ~CanadianGoddess~

~CanadianGoddess~ Member

Yes, will do :-D