1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

So, What Really is Ranked?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by AnonymousGamrr, 17 Mar 2019.

1. AnonymousGamrr

AnonymousGamrr New Member

Hi all, looking to share my opinions on my experiences climbing the ranked system as a 1k+ infamy player, and to get some tips from those with more experience than me.

I’m a relatively new player; I’ve played for about a month when this game was in its infancy, and dropped it since I didn’t have enough time. I picked the game back up about 3 months ago, and have played everyday since.

Going as a fixer main, I currently have ~5500 gear score, ~1100 infamy, ~900 battles and ~500 wins.

In my experiences with ranked, gear score has been a huge factor limiting my ability to play well. I’ve consistently had teammates and faced opponents with 2k+ gear score, and the amount of healing I can put out is oftentimes too low to change anything. As I play, I’m trying my best to coordinate with the team and stay safe to put out as much healing as I can, but sometimes I feel too powerless to help the shooter stuck in enemy fire.

Here’s my question: What really is ranked? Does it measure a player by their skill and coordination with the team, and does it favor those with a higher gear score by nature? In other words, what factors go into the amount of infamy a player has? Is there a limit for the amount of infamy you’ll get that’s set by your gear score? As for me, what should I do to make an impact on the battle if my gear is worse than others?

Thanks everyone.

2. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Ranked is matched by Infamy, and impacts Infamy. It doesn't take into account Gear Score. Casual and Events use Gear Score and Captain Level.

The problem is with a reduced player base what used to be an equal Infamy match is now all over the board, I commonly see Infamy spreads of 2800, even 3500 in my battles... which is a bigger number than my Infamy. That's the long way of saying, no matter what Gear Score you have, the players in your match will have much higher and much lower. All you can do is keep grinding to improve what you have.

My only advice is to focus on the items you want to use. Progression is slow, so trying to build too many at once will take years for F2P... literally.

HAPPY SITHSHA likes this.
  3. Djradnad

Djradnad Well-Known Member

Infamy is just gained by winning, your contribution doesn’t necessarily gain you infamy, you just have to win, and doing the best you can to create that win.

As a fixer it may depend a lot on your gearscore, but I typically see fixers with lower gear have higher infamy than other ships. The best tips for ranked are to; stay together, be patient, focus fire to finish off enemies, and stay alive! I don’t main a fixer in ranked myself, but using bolts to fix teamates you can’t get to or using pulses with teamates that know to stay with you should certainly grant you the wins to progress. Good luck. :)

HAPPY SITHSHA and Nikkie! like this.
  4. AnonymousGamrr

I’ve focused mainly on the items that I use for a fixer, with a few upgrades of other items here and there to ensure that I won’t have a hard time completing daily and guild quests.

As a follow-up, it feels that I’m powerless most of the time. In other words, I don’t know how I can affect the outcome of the battle.
    Sometimes my team will overpower the enemies and stay in good formation — in which case I can put out the healing we need to take the game.
    Sometimes, we each go our separate ways, and we lose because we didn’t coordinate with each other. I understand that sometimes losses like this can’t be prevented, but...
    Other times, my team does great and stays in formation, but the enemies are also strong. We open fire, and soon I realize my 50/tick heal just isn’t doing anything. I always feel guilty for making the game a 4v5 or a 4.5v5, but I don’t know what I can do to change how it is.

Is there really no other way to ensure a steady gain of infamy other than to upgrade your gear?

On a side note, what’s a good loadout for fixers?
    I’m currently using Railgun, Sniper Cannon, Nitro, Repair Pulse, Repait Bolt, Repair Plasma(sometimes switching it out for another bolt), Standard Shield, and a Turbo.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2019
    HAPPY SITHSHA and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  5. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Remember. Even if it's 50HP per tick, it CAN and WILL keep players alive. And since you are a fixer, you are super unique. You are one of two types of players in BB that can actually HEAL others. To quote someone I really respect, "Don't focus on what you can't do. Focus on what you can."

How does it apply to healing? Well, you cannot keep a team alive in a sustained engagement. You cannot get out of cover in an intense firefight. You cannot deal with assassins for the most part. And, as a result of the matchmaker, you cannot be guaranteed to have good teammates.

Fine then. What CAN you do?
    • You can keep a single player alive in a short engagement. Focus on the ONE player who isn't being an idiot.
    • Don't get out of cover. Build your loadout around that. Make it so that:
      • If you get out of cover, you can heal yourself back when you get back into cover.
      • If you stay IN cover, you can still help SOMEONE who ISN'T.
    • Assassins are BAD. They come for you when you are at your weakest. When your HP is low. When your evasion items are on cooldown. You need something that can make them think again about coming for you.
    • About the teammates you aren't guaranteed. Well, nothing much you can do about that except fleeting.
    So what should you do?
    1. Build your setup around healing people while in cover. This means using something like duct tape+pulse+bolt or double pulse+bolt.

2. Make sure you can get out of a pinch, F.A.S.T. This means using a nitro/OB (nitro recommended, just watch out for mines) in your yellow slot.

3. Build your weapon deck around "instant, fast retaliation". You don't HAVE to attack the enemy. Some of the best fixers had K/Ds near 0 before the event update hit. What you HAVE to attack are people who want to focus on YOU specifically as a target. That brings it down to two classes:
    • Brawlers
    • Assassins
    With brawlers, you CANNOT go toe-to-toe with them. Only a full-fledged brawler can fight at an equal level with a brawler. You can control them, however.

With assassins, you can deter them from attacking you.

The answer to both classes is one weapon: The carronade. Of course, many have their own pet weapons. But I think getting to know how to use a carro is an important skill for a fixer. Especially since you juggle between two very different targeting systems(heal and damage). Yeah, so carronades. They inflict tremendous damage for a one slot weapon. The only shortcoming is their short range. You're free to use snipe rail (many great fixers do) but imho it makes you SUPER vulnerable to assassins. Carro+e, carro+sniper, or even
    @Waveblower 's signature carro+missiles will work great! For now, however, go with whatever takes the least time to aim, for YOU.
    I know people who can shoot missiles or railguns in the same instant they make the decision to do so. I for one cannot. What I can do is sling blast cannon shots... Or flares... Or nades.

Overall, use the setups I pointed out, stay with your team (the smartest ones if possible), give good orders if you wish to lead the team, be cool, don't stick your head out in the middle of an intense firefight, scare assassins away, and co-ordinate with the smarter people in your team to take down brawlers.

Good luck, hope my advice helped a little!

6. Sewah

Sewah Well-Known Member

Attacking Fixer Ultimate Selfish Mode
    3 tapes, std shield, nitro, turbo , fg and exc.

Attacking Support Fixer
    1 tapes and 2 pulse, std shield, nitro, turbo , fg and exc.

If you want to play support,
    Ditch your weapon and use torp or mines.

Gool luck

7. Nikkie!

Nikkie! Well-Known Member

Baaa, I’m a pig (I am out there!)
    Wow! YOU gave tips on fixer? :eek:

“Hello with the newspaper, what’s up?”
    I have something VERY important! @TheAntiSnipe gave tips on FIXER, and they weren’t too bad! Make sure this comes in ALL newspapers

Now without kidding, this are some nice tips dude/bro/sis/man/guy/whatever :)

8. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist
    Its less about skills now more about how lucky you are . some of the players i know used to be at 3500+ infamy with 10k+ gearscore . now they are under 1300 infamy . they are in a situation where they still get battle against 3-4k infamy players but they can't fleet with them . so in case if they want to fleet with a fixer to get better chance to win , they are just helpless . they can only fleet with someone who is at 1500-1800 infamy players but those players have less gear score so they can't face 3-4k infamy players .

9. Nikkie!

Nikkie! Well-Known Member

Baaa, I’m a pig (I am out there!)
    Hello from over there,

First: Welcome back!

Second: I will introduce myself: I play fixer the most, but occasionally (max 1x every two weeks lol) also speeder. I am now around 2500 infamy, gear score 8000 and fought somewhere around 5500 battles. That about me :)

Over to your problem with ranked:
    Do you have some examples for the cases you feel useless? Or for the times you had a good feeling?
    Because maybe I can give you tips :) (I know a little about the use of repair plasma from a fixer friend;))

I also have a mini, so if I let it gain some infamy, we may be able to fleet and gain infamy :p (right now it’s at 144 infamy, so it needs a little work :oops:)

And like @TheAntiSnipe said, carronade works very well against people that come too close :) (I have it Epic, Level 40, and it deals 7x208 damage, so me and my team got those IDIOTS very soon down :rolleyes:)

And yeah, in ranked you find some idiots, but they are also in other game modes, only there you don’t have the problem that they affect your infamy. If you stay calm and don’t go too far to the front of your team it should be okay :)
    And sure, you’ll lose some battles, duhh, but don’t let them take you down, but let them grow you, learn from the mistakes you made and continue!

I think this is all I’ve got to say ;)
    I hope this can help you,

Kind regards and good luck with your battles!
    Nikkie

Attached Files:

10. TheAntiSnipe

Haha thanks. I did play quite a bit of fixer, and have a LOT of experience combating them. So I know what makes (and breaks) fixers very well. Your perspective was great too!

11. AnonymousGamrr

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I never expected to get so deep into analyzing the game; I greatly appreciate all the advice for it.

As a response, my feelings about using carronades: They're somewhat of a dice roll. Well, sometimes. It feels that carronades are way stronger when you hit the enemy from the side, and I don't quite know if it's true.

For me, when I play against players with higher gear score, I try to match my healing against their damage by maintaining consistency between my shots. In other words, I try to make sure I'm doing something once every 3 or so seconds (matching it perfectly to 2.5 is a little too hard). Having a carronade means one less item to use when you're firing from afar, which reduces the options I have.

I haven't had that many problems with assassin classes either. One out of ten or fifteen games I get singled out and killed. That's mostly my fault for not sticking with the team. But, in the games where I struggle, my team mostly is able to repel assassins and protect me. The one problem: I just don't do enough healing for one ship.

One time, I've had enemies that consistently did 1200 damage with Explosive Cannon shots (Not even crits!). That was (no longer is, since my gear is stronger now) the full healing of my pulse + plasma combined.
    My heal bolt isn't much either, although it certainly can save a ship that got caught out of cover. But when the team is in the middle of firing back, it just doesn't heal for enough.

As for times I felt good, in casual games where gear score seems a lot more balanced, the healing I can put out has a much greater effect on the game. My bolt healing can match a single shot from my opponent, or 2 off-center mortar hits. I can quickly refill the health of my speeder teammates who just infiltrated their backline and send them off on another mission, all the while healing my team who is firing back and forth with my bolt and plasma.

I know that the best way to put out more healing is to improve the items. But I also want to focus a lot on teamwork and taking stronger enemies down by working together. In my opinion, ranked should reward those who cooperate well with the team, and the impact of gear score should be reduced. I prefer playing strategically over smashing the enemy team to pieces with T5 purples (Which I also don't even come close to having). Of course, this is just my thoughts as of now, and I know a lot more goes into it, so maybe enlighten me on that? :rolleyes:

Focusing on individual items, the repair plasma is tricky to use, since placing it out in the open means napalms (I hate those!) and consistent enemy fire. Putting it too far back means not being able to shoot at the enemies. For the most part, I try to keep half of my pulse behind walls, and half of it in the open, so my team can peek out to shoot then back off.
    (I still don't know how to deal with napalms. It's a perfect counter to plasma.)
    The good part about it is that it applies full healing onto myself, so I can use it like duct tape when I'm recovering from afar.

Also, a suggestion on pings (probably given somewhere else, but I guess add a vote to it from me :p):
    How about a "retreat" ping? Sometimes I have teammates who are blatantly running into the entire enemy team. It would be nice to have a way of signaling them that they're too far up and I can't save them if they keep going.

Thanks again everyone!

Nikkie! and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  12. TheAntiSnipe

In that case, I guess your overall best option is sticking to events and casual, grinding out your gear while training your weps. Oh, and this is VITAL: Keep a weapon talent on upgrade at ALL times as much as possible. I used to follow a two-on-one-off approach for weapon training: Train weapon talents for two weeks, and upgrade weapons for one week. Doing that optimized the sugar math for me.

Also, about that three-second rule: Trust me when I say it ends up restricting you more than anything. "Take your time, but not too much time" is what I say to any student of mine who comes over to learn about yellow boats. Learning that is half the battle in and of itself imho.

Hope this helped! :D

13. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist
    now because most of the parts in market only available for sugar and there is no option to chose between sugar or gold so none stop training is difficult . i would say almost impossible . one have to stop buying parts to have enough sugar for training . or have to stop training to buy parts to upgrade items .. we lives in a strange world ..they took this step so if someone is full on sugar , his/her sugar don't get wasted but they have created another issue lol

14. Battler

Battler New Member

This sugar in the market is horrible. I typically use gold in the market to buy parts and perks and I use my sugar for upgrading weapons and talents. But now sugar is used for everything. What is the use for gold? I have gold stock pile but no use for it. I am saving up sugar to do update talents but now there are all these items in the market that I would use gold for but they now take sugar. This is rediculous. Didn’t anyone think this through? Is sugar is used for talents, buying parts, and upgrading weapons then gold is basically useless. The system worked great before, this change is horrible. If there was a need to provide another use for sugar then at least let players choose to use sugar or gold in the market.

Out,

15. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Never, in 2 years, have I ever been in a situation where I've had too much gold. Sugar on the other hand is regularly full. If I get bored some day I can upgrade boats for 50-100M gold or whatever ungodly amount that takes... so I personally like the ability to use sugar. Should we have a choice? Probably... But Rovio has a 2+ year track record of not wanting to give players choices.

Nikkie!, Djradnad and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  16. Battler

Battler New Member

There is no longer a use for gold. Let’s see it is now used when evolving a weapon to the next tier level. That’s about it. Sugar is used to evolve weapons, talents, and buy parts. This doesn’t make any sense at all.

Gold is now useless.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  17. Djradnad

Djradnad Well-Known Member

Upgrade ships millions at a time
    But uncommon crates great pieces cells and some parts
    Evolve and combine also goes up to millions for high rarity
    Half of the things in the shipments still

I fail to see what you are saying, you can start a training for a million that takes days and have full sugar in a few hours. Leveling items with sugar can’t be done because you don’t have the parts needed...

envylife likes this.