1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Grenade needs change

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by You dont need to know, 5 Mar 2019.

?

Do Grenades need some change?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    83.3%
  3. I did not listen to the purpose of this thread and would like to neutralize my vote.

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

As compared to what other 1 slot weapon?

Standard Canon: Less than 1/2 the cooldown of Grenade, plus massively higher range gives it significantly higher DPS, on top of bigger range and speed.
    Sniper: hits about the same as a Grenade plus gets massive speed and distance.
    BC: More range, less damage, but crits for far more than Grenade
    All mortars: They all have larger AOE and range which makes them more powerful across the board.

I could go on, but what's the point

Nikkie!, JoshW and Cavy like this.
  2. Reorge

Reorge Well-Known Member

Std cannon is only worth using if one can utilize its low cd and they often fail and that's why most people prefers a blast or sniper as an alt for a 1-slot cannon. Def not a bad weapon but not practical enough to be worth using on most ships.
    except sniper doesn't put targets on fire and increases all Cannons Dmg by 73%, doesn't crit hit for 88% and doesn't have splash dmg. I still wouldn't call it a completely balanced weapon anyway but not op either.
    again no splash Dmg, doesn't increase cannons Dmg by 73%. And crit hits ? You tryna compare the critical Dmg of something that crits like once in 5 games with something that crits like 8 outta 10 times ?
    They don't put targets on fire or increase any weapons Dmg, they may be apparently more powerful than grenades if you ONLY look at their bright sides but it's all theoretical and you know it. A mortar can't be used effectively in several situations and can't be used at all in some areas, also completely useless against yellows and that's why people rarely use them, because they ain't reliable.

3. envylife

Combo damage requires a companion, so it still takes a whole other slot with a fire combo weapon and in that you only get 1 shot boosted because Grenade only ticks fire for 5 seconds, and only if it crits. In that, it works closer to a Frost combo offering a single boosted shot. Grenade still suffers from speed and range issues vs most weapons.

Last edited: 13 Mar 2019
  4. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

What exactly is the proposal here?
    To make grenades more like a hand grenade in real life meaning it has a 5 second "fuse"?
    If that's the idea then good luck landing damage on any ship other than a shooter or defender, any ship with a utility slot will be long gone by the time it explodes.
    [And wouldn't this essentially make it a mine with a shorter activation time and less damage?]
    Introducing the mechanics to ricochet projectiles would be a huge task with very little pay off. Currently projectiles detonate or disappear when coming into contact with an obstacle and changing this now would probably cause more issues.
    Would it be cool... Sure, but I'd still prefer they focus on QoL updates rather than introducing more bugs/problems.

Nikkie! and Ultrah like this.
  5. envylife

Not sure we want to be fully realistic anyhow... if a Grenade is thrown in the water, there's a fairly solid chance it'll just sink without exploding.

JoshW and Djradnad like this.
  6. You dont need to know

You dont need to know Member

GUYS, FOR PETE SAKES. THIS IS NOT TO ARGUE AT WETHER OR NOT GRENADES ARE GOOD. IT IS TO ARGUE ABOUT IF WE CHANGE GRENADES SO THAT THEY WOULD BE MORE REALISTIC SO THAT THEY CAN BE MORE FUN TO USE. THEIR WILL BE NO MORE ARGUMENTS ON THIS THREAD STATING WETHER OR NOT GRENADES ARE GOOD, THAT IS NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT.

7. You dont need to know

Thank you for staying on topic, many people here aren’t getting the true purpose of this thread. Also, grenades already have that issue. Plus, you could just through another grenade where their going to go. I’m also sure that If they work enough on the grenades mechanics then they could make the grenades bug free.

8. You dont need to know

Ok, not that realistic. Just enough for them to be more fun to use ( couldn’t they make grenades float around in the water before they explode? )

9. You dont need to know

Fine then, ask that guy to make his own thread. This thread is getting out of control. Their was people literally talking about torpedo load outs in her. Just don’t respond to the off topic thoughts ( it keeps things to the point )

Last edited: 14 Mar 2019
  10. Djradnad

Djradnad Well-Known Member

Grenades are already one of the most fun weapons in the game. I dont think they need messed with.. if you want something that has a delay, then use big berta it hovers for a while before damaging that area.. the thought of them bouncing off walls is a pretty good idea, but I think it’s a pretty big task to make that mechanic, but it could be used elsewhere also, like bouncing a volley of Gatling gun rounds to hit a target around a corner.

Anyways, if you are suggesting to make grenades more realistic, but not realistic enough that they sink... then I’d like to point out all of the other grenades in games.. sticky/plasma grenades, fire/incendiary grenades (basically exactly what we have now) fragment grenades (basically what you are suggesting, except then you could take extra dmg from little carronade sized rounds that sprew out in randomly with in a 100° spread, rather than the fire effect)

11. Djradnad

so to sum up the current situation: we have a incendiary grenade launcher.. grenade launchers do not bounce the explode on impact.. however, in battle bay, they do not have arming time like the torpedoes do, which is a bit unrealistic, but pelting someone up on a wave rather than lobbying them up and having it land on them is probably considered a skill shot, so that’s just more fun :)

12. You dont need to know

I
    I don’t necessarily want a delay, I actually wanted the reload time to be shorter ( and lower damage, for more balance), slightly bigger explosion radius, and wall bouncing mechanics, not just a explosive cannon with less range and shorter reload and different firing mechanics. And it shouldn’t shoot multiple grenades like a caronade does, and it should fire the same way it does now.

13. Djradnad

Wall bouncing is not realistic for a grenade launcher
    They already buffed the radius from what it used to be in update 2.7
    The dmg may need some nerfing, but I don’t really see the point of reducing the cooldown.

14. Cavy

Cavy Well-Known Member

I always imagined grenades from launchers could ricochet? I’ve never even seen a real one but, they certainly do in movies lol and in pretty much every other game I’ve played.
    Tho with its current range it would be pointless and I don’t like the idea of changing em anyway lol I love em how they are and these changes would effectively make it a completely different weapon
    Maybe ya should try sell the idea as a new item?

Nikkie! likes this.
  15. Iunch

Iunch Active Member

Grenades are fine. Keep your terrible "but in real life" ideas away from my grenades.

In real life your boat doesn't respawn, magical healing magic doesn't float on top of the water to repair your damaged boat, crashing into a wall at speed doesn't just make your camera angle go funny and you don't get rewarded with sugar.

16. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

That last one might be true... Lol
    "Do your chores and you can have a candy bar" type of thing

17. You dont need to know

It would make the Grenades more realistic if they had less cooldown and it would also make them more fun.

18. You dont need to know

Whats so wrong with adding bouncing mechanics and tweaking the reload time and lowering the damage to make up for it? Give me one reasonable reason.

19. Cavy

Cavy Well-Known Member

They’re meant to hit hard! It’s good that they do! I don’t want a weapon I need to use twice to do the same damage as a cannon
    Thier range is too small to make bouncing/ ricochet effective or even practical

20. You dont need to know

I never said anything about less damage than a cannon. And for Pete sakes, we could just make the range better. And you can use bouncing mechanics with very little range ( bouncing grenades around a corner )