1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to frost/big torp?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Alpakaa, 11 Feb 2019.

1. Alpakaa

Alpakaa Member

Student and part-Time Alpaca
    Yeah I've been watching Bunta for a while now, even though he kind of stopped making BB content a long time ago and started playing Fortnite instead and hasn't uploaded in 6 months. But anyways, Bunta! I love that playstyle and admire the guy for not being addicted to nitro like me. Anyways, I haven't been around BB for a real long time, and I've heard older players say that frost/torp used to rule the bay.
    Why does it not rule the bay anymore and when did it stop ruling the bay? Frost/torp seems like the ultimate combo to me, other than maybe explo cannon with all fire perks and grenade with all fire chance perks... With a powerful enough torp, you can deal craaaaaaaaaaaaazy amounts of damage and can take on just about any opponent. What happened? I'm a huge fan of this build and would love to put a lot of time into it, but ehhhh i don't have a powerful enough torp for the damage to be worthwhile.

Nikkie! likes this.
  2. Cavy

Cavy Well-Known Member

Because it’s simply not the easiest thing in the world to do lol takes a lot effort and trial and error to have even a slight chance of hitting it consistent enough to not completely suck lol
    And that was before they nerfed frost so that a hit from any thing before your torp lands removes effect so ya get no bonus
    It’s not like cannon/ fire combo where ya can keep shooting, frost torp ya get one chance and if someone else hits em before your torp then it’s all for nothing

@YSL likes this.
  3. Cavy

Cavy Well-Known Member

It’s fun! And big damage numbers is a rewarding feeling, but simply difficulty lvl throws its viability out the window
    I’d imagine even what ever counts as a pro these days wouldn’t rely on it in ranked all to much? Dunno? Maybe a couple do?

Nikkie! likes this.
  4. Earel

Earel Active Member

This combo stop using(massive) after :
    - fix frost, any damage remove frost completely
    - fix frost slow effect for a half
    - fix additional damage from skills for a half
    - fix Tesla bolt twice, - buff with resistance and add some second to cd
    - after fixing ts, - item number one is nitro, so if u have yellow slot , it will be a nitro- 100% usage item

Help I Cant Swim likes this.
  5. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Frost Torp only ruled the Bay for about 2 weeks, and then the Devs killed it.

For most of 2017, the crew bonuses for Frost were bugged, and weren’t being applied. Frost was still used however, and no one complained about it — all was right with the world.

Around about the Halloween update (2017), the crew bonuses were Fixed. Frost became ‘one’ of the most powerful combos, and @YSL (a long time Frost Torp user) became the first person to hit 6k infamy.

Anyway, loads of people started bitching that Frost was too powerful and that @YSL was killing them in ‘one hit’ (even though it was more like 4 hits). So a few weeks later in November, the Devs nerfed Frost, and made it even weaker than it had been in the first place. It pretty much disappeared from the game after that.

The Frost nerf gets my ‘lifetime achievement award’ for Battle Bay’s most ridiculously mishandled update. It’s not the most ridiculous thing the Devs ever did, in and of itself (barely even top 5). However, the fact that it still hasn’t received any attention, over a year later, makes it by far the longest running balls up of all time.

Alpakaa, benguin8, Ultrah and 6 others like this.
  6. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

That update... Was BRUTAL. It was my first time seeing nerfs happen in any game, and god DAMN it went waaaaaaay too far. I had just been thinking of using torpedoes(in NO way was this decision related to the OPness of the frosttorp combo) and BOOM. The viability was gone for me.
    Many called it "The end of the Ice Age". I'm inclined to agree. And I agree with your post. They butchered it, and, though they have a point about its situationality, I think we all agree that they HAVE to bring it back.

Alpakaa and Nikkie! like this.
  7. FirnenAhead

FirnenAhead Well-Known Member

Lol I can't agree with ViscountSniffit about this

IT's true everything about the history of the frost-torp combo. But the OPness of the combo during those 2 weeks was so insane IT would have also killed the game if they hadn't nerfed it. So sorry they killed frost Berta (and frost-mortars overall). IMO frost-torp is still viable and damn frightening.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  8. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I agree that FT was OP as all hell, but it definitely didn't deserve that over-the-top nerf it got. Besides, as for viability, it is so niche that nearly nobody uses it. The ones who do, are devastatingly strong with it, ONLY under specific circumstances, but in other circumstances, they're bad.

Kurd1stan. likes this.
  9. Kurd1stan.

Kurd1stan. Well-Known Member

I just quit it yesterday.

Ok, frost-torp was OP, but if you gonna nerf frost to be removed in one shoot(makes sense) then you should keep "damage to frozen target as it is " because frost nerf wad enough.

Fun fact: i was planning to use frost-torp setup when i i reach mk5 speeder, but they nerfed it 1 week before i get it:(, so i started using double nitro +OB and i never saw anyone using it before i did, then everyone started using it after TB nerf.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2019
    TheAntiSnipe and Nikkie! like this.
  10. ViscountSniffit

I don’t think it was as OP as everyone was making out. As I said, what YSL was doing was a 4 hit combo — Stun > Frost > Big Torp > Swift... and it did about 7k damage. That translates to 1750 per hit, which is quite tame compared to things like Flare, EC, Grenade, etc...

The reason Frost was nerfed was because it was too effective against ‘precious’ Shooters. I complained, ad nauseam, about Sniper being too versatile, and too powerful against Speeder; Mines still do over 75% of my hp in one hit. And both those weapons can just come straight out of nowhere and ruin your game, with no opportunity to counter them... but no one bats an eyelid when it’s Speeders.

Frost Torp was super easy to counter, all you had to do was stick with your team, and defend eachother. Basically, don’t let a Speeder rush in and land 4 hits on your Fixer, without taking a beating. It’s the first thing you learn playing Battle Bay, yet it’s the one thing people can never seem to do — at any level.

I never used Frost, but I felt Frost Torp was something that the game ‘needed’ to exist. Too many big Shooters and Defenders think that they can just go Rambo without team support, and too often they can.

If Speeders can have 3 hard counters, then Shooters and Defenders (who go off on their own) should have at least one. But the level of crying, that took place when such a thing existed, was telling.

Nikkie! likes this.
  11. Kurd1stan.

It is really not that bad now, all what i want is more agility reduction.

https://replay.battlebay.net/YMVHYBNN#FTBFSQGC
    I know i know it was easy to hit them but still i couldn't do that without frost-torp setup or double mine.

EDIT: https://replay.battlebay.net/TZDCDYYV#FTBFSQGC , im back, i can't leave frost-torp it is in ma blood.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2019
  12. TVNPryde

TVNPryde Well-Known Member

Frost-Torp was deadly because of the 11s cooldown of the Tesla Bolt. That was the main reason. Then came the resistance to TB made it a goner.

You can used to stun-frost and wait a bit to torp-stun. Shooters and Defenders were completely helpless against it. Unlike fire combo, big torp was slow so you can stun your opponent right after the torp.

Anyway, speeders rules the bay because of Tesla Bolt.

TheAntiSnipe and Kurd1stan. like this.
  13. Kurd1stan.

Oops you said something like speeders are better than shooter and said that TB isn't weak, i wanna see what @ViscountSniffit will say:confused:, he hates shooters and TB nerf with absolute passion:rolleyes:.

14. benguin8

benguin8 Well-Known Member

Reflecting back on this, I don't see why they can't just change the stats to make frost better for mortars and less for torps. Mortar and torp stats and perks can be different. Not everything has to be 12% this or that. Mortars got the short end of the stick there, and now with the agility buff, its pretty hard to hit with mortars. Frost should be reopened now that all ships are much faster, its the only counter.

FirnenAhead and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  15. LotharusMaximus

LotharusMaximus Well-Known Member

The Real death of the Frost Torp combo was the nerf to the Frost weapon. The Unfriend used to stay Frosted for the duration of the Frost, or at least until they were hit by 4 or 5 shots from the enemy. I can't quite remember which. Regardless, if you were Frosted, you were pretty much sunk. This definitely made it OP, but the 'Correction/Nerf' was way overboard. Now Frost is removed after one hit from any of your teammates which renders it nearly useless with the Big Torp. After applying Frost, you have a two second recycle, then you have to line up the torp, release from the right distance and still hope you hit your target. By this time, one of your conscientious teammates will have removed your Frost. GUARANTEED. Ask me how I know.:mad:

That said, I do wield a lvl 50 epic Frost and lvl 50 epic Big Torp with 4 frost perks, along side a legendary Swift Torp for fun and quests sometimes. It is a sweet combo, and when I do land a Big Torp, it hits for 6K dmg. Follow that with a Swift Torp, and I just hit you for 7500 dmg in a few seconds. Satisfying to say the least, but you also have to choose between speed and stun. You can't expect to hit a yellow boat with the Big Torp unless you carry Stun. They will wait until the torp is released and nitro out of the way. I used to use stun but prefer to be able to OB and Nitro out of Dodge if things don't go the way I'm planning. Which is quite often. You pretty much have to focus on the less agile boats, but you're then on the opposing end of some serious weapon damage, and you're in the Banana boat so you won't last long.

Frost is ideal in CTF, but nobody on the Bay gets it. So you're screwed either way. Well, not everyone. I did get friended by a guy who apologized for breaking my Frost during the match we had just played because he didn't realize it was me using the Frost. Unfortunately, he appears to be one in a million.

I'm keeping the combo in hopes of resurrection one day, but I'm not holding my breath. On the positive Frost side, the duration of my Frost Blaster is 12.8 seconds, and the recycle time is 8.8. So you can briefly double Frost players.

Hope this helps. Long Live the Frost!;)

Cavy, benguin8 and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  16. ViscountSniffit

That is why I suggested that Frost require a certain amount of damage before it is removed (not unlike Tesla Shield). @Zeus’ response was that it would add too much guesswork for players, but I don’t think that’s true: a big EC hit is always going to remove it, small damage from the rim of a mortar or a Gatling, probably is not. There is really not that much to guess over, and certainly no more than the guess work involved in wondering whether your teammates are about to ruin your shot.