1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Unusual Weapons: The Unpopular Opinion Puffin Speaks!

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by Redneck Messiah, 27 Jan 2019.

1. Redneck Messiah

Redneck Messiah Well-Known Member

As a few regular forumites know, I've gained something of a reputation as an "unpopular opinion puffin"... that is to say, I typically end up choosing the least popular option on polls. So I decided to embrace my inner puffin and write a guide for a few of the lesser used items, because nobody else will... filthy blast lovers (pls don't tell TheAntiSnipe I said that). Anyways, here we go...

Gatling Gun: You knew this would be here. And so did I. I dislike this thing, but we unpopular opinion puffins have to watch each other's backs. Quite frankly, the Gatling gun is niche at best. It does, however, have its uses, which I'll cover in turn:
    • Shooter: Most shooters find themselves running cooldown heavy builds (railguns, berthas, big/tri torps, missiles come to mind), and the Gatling makes a nice "Old Reliable" ( a weapon that has a high DPS and reloads quickly to cover for the rest of the loadout).
    • Defender: Defenders are ignored. Sad but true... they're tanky and not a huge threat, meaning people tend to focus on squishier, more important targets such as a speeder or fixer, saving the defender for last and just pecking it occasionally to keep it from asserting itself. Running a Gatling on a defender lets you deal a good amount of damage, especially if the enemy is burning and/or focused on somebody else. Pair with a flare and blast/excannon for maximum damage and burst power.
    • Fixer: To be blunt, people like to hurt fixers. Which means said fixer needs to be ready to protect itself at all times (shooters are notoriously unreliable when it comes to helping their mates... but I digress). The Gatling reloads fairly quickly, has a longish range, and can put out a stream of damage that deters squishier attackers. Coupled with a standard torpedo, sniper cannon, or carronade, this weapon is a reasonably good weapon for attacking and defending.
    • Guardian: A Guardian's job is to protect its teammates. Using a weapon slot on a Gatling has the benefits of being annoying to enemies and laying down a nice screen of cover fire. Pair it with a defense wall or two to basically become Bastion from Overwatch, which is the one thing I enjoy about it.
    General Tips: Gatling users need to be able to cope with the zoom that occurs during sustained fire. It takes some getting used to. They also need shot-leading skills, because moving the stick starts spraying instead of letting you line up before firing. If there are no enemies around and your clip isn't full, it can be worth it to dump the remaining ammunition so you have a full fifteen shots next time you get into a fight.

Standard Torpedo: Not many people seem to like this, and I, for one, disagree. I enjoy using mine, and it isn't nearly on par level-wise with my other torpedoes. This weapon's benefit is its reload time, allowing you to create some deadly spam (cough dropdead midlane cough). As before, I'll run through ideal boats and some general use information:
    • Shooter: Basically the same as the Gatling: A fast DPS option and potential slot-saver. These things are pretty much always ready to shoot and have a short activation distance. For people who like to spam torps and carry 3+: This item's sheer reload speed could save you a slot on your spam loadout, letting you carry another cannon or mortar. By no means is this your main weapon, but it makes for some nice DPS and a constant stream of fire.
    • Speeder: The most common torp speeder build has been dual swift torpedoes, but the standard torp is being touted as a meta-changer in some circles. Its reload time removes the need for a second torp, allowing for a carronade or standard cannon to round out the build. With their ability to put distance between themselves and an enemy and aim at high speeds, speeders can use torpedoes to deadly effect. This one is no different.
    • Fixer: A nice burst option for a class that tends to prefer to be far away from enemies and needs to keep a weapon ready to cover itself. Not too damaging, but it can create some chaos when mixed with the crossfire of cannons, mines, and other torps your teammates will inevitably create.
    • Reaper: Similar to Fixer. Reapers tend to fight on the run while regenerating, and this weapon makes life hard for anyone chasing them.
    • Guardian: Good for protecting your teammates. Can keep the enemy on their toes and (more importantly) not shooting at your peeps. A spread of these provides nice cover for a teammate to get behind your wall or within pulsing distance.
    General Tips: This weapon is fairly easy to use. You have plenty of opportunities to use it, it's easy to hit shots with... A nice all-rounder suited to a few playstyles. Just keep in mind that it's weak for a torpedo, and shouldn't be your main weapon. It does make a great supplement to a cannon or a stronger torpedo, however.

Frost Blaster: Frost is a dying art. Since it was nerfed, it hasn't been nearly as popular as the rest of the yellows. What this thing does is temporarily slow an enemy. I'll run through a few ships that may find this thing useful:
    • Speeder: Not too useful on its own, and only worth using if you happen to run a mortar or torpedo that does bonus damage to frozen enemies (or have a fleeting partner who does). You can also freeze an enemy to buy yourself time to escape a bad situation... assuming a teammate doesn't break the frost and screw you over. Can be used by assassin speeders to weaken their prey, although most assassins would prefer a tesla bolt or a carronade/flare for that purpose.
    • Enforcer: Similar to Speeder, but a bit more useful considering the enfo's more offense-oriented role. Enforcers who run torpedoes should have one of these: It makes hitting shots less of a chore, and buffs the torpedo's damage.
    General Tips: When you use this thing, keep in mind that your teammates can and will break the debuff, and factor that into your planning. Also, take note of the fact that it fires straight, like the railgun, and can easily be deflected/dodged via waves.

Frost Launcher: Suffers the same woes as the frost blaster since the nerf. Basically the blaster in mortar form, with an enormous radius (bigger than the Ballpark's). Only enforcers really have a use for this one, so I'll lump general info in there too:
    • Enforcer: For enfos with mortar builds, this is a must-have. Enemies have a harder time dodging a mortar, and mortars do bonus damage to frozen enemies. You can also use it for area control, or to make it easier to harass capturing players. Just remember how easy it is to break the debuff, or have it stopped by an overhead obstacle.

Repair Box Launcher: The awkward relative of the green items, this is easily the least popular of its color group. Nevertheless, it does have certain uses:
    • Fixer: Speeders, as every fixer knows, are not inclined to sit still to get bolted. Nor are they always keen on coming within pulse range. Rather than putting yourself at risk, leave them a stash of boxes somewhere to collect. You can also deploy boxes in a capture zone for your teammates' convenience. When I use this, I tend to hide mines in my boxes in case the enemy tries to break them. *several minutes of maniacal laughter*
    General Tips: Not much to say here... Just be aware of the item's range limitations, and plan where you put it so you or a teammate can easily grab them. You can also self-heal by throwing one just in front of you so you "catch" it as it lands... but we all know tape is the best way to self heal.

That concludes a step-by-step guide on spending forty minutes to get sore fingers and a few likes. Enjoy!... assuming anybody wants to use these things. I don't. standard torpedo excepted.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2019
  2. Redneck Messiah

Redneck Messiah Well-Known Member

After going through the process of writing that and coloring everything, I have a newfound respect for @TheAntiSnipe outside of yellow boats.

Sidd gamer, TheAntiSnipe and Nikkie! like this.
  3. Nikkie!

Nikkie! Well-Known Member

Baaa, I’m a pig (I am out there!)
    Great explanation about weapons that are indeed not very popular ...
    Altough I still don’t think I’ll start using my Gatling more lol
    Thank you for taking the time to sacrifice your fingers on typing and coloring the text:p
    P.S. Is it smart to mention @TheAntiSnipe? (See text above;)) AA5CEC5C-9CFC-4CBD-976D-9DFCBD807FF1.jpeg

4. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

5. HAPPY SITHSHA

HAPPY SITHSHA Well-Known Member

Sidd gamer and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  6. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist
    my friend use three Gatling on defender and fire none stop i only suggested him to put a standard cannon and two Gatling gun as he want non stop fire with less cool down . he is rocking it .

i used to use Gatling gun on my shooter and this was the weapon i first reached to legendary achievement and i was like 65% and other weapons were still behind . but then i upgraded my exp cannons . two exp one standard cannon with fire bomb work so good for me my still of battle changed . and my Gatling gun achievement progress stopped . now i am at 90% achievement of legendary exp cannon and 80% of standard cannon . once i get it i will try to get Gatling gun achievement finish .but now its difficult to get back to my previous battling style .

Sidd gamer likes this.
  7. Nikkie!

Is that JxVladirCherry?

Su-57 likes this.
  8. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist
    haha right

Nikkie! likes this.
  9. NeptuneGaming

NeptuneGaming Well-Known Member

i have a question.....
    what is a standard torpedo?
    dont make fun of me pls i havent been in touch from monthes

R4Z0R and Sidd gamer like this.
  10. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist
    a new torpedo like standard cannon . few second reload time and decent dmg . less then other torpedoes butcool down is really low you can fire two in same time .

Sidd gamer likes this.
  11. Nikkie!

This is the description Grim gave, Patch Notes update 4.2 :)https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/4-2-casually-ranked.24037/

12. NeptuneGaming

NeptuneGaming Well-Known Member

thx

Sidd gamer likes this.
  13. Clarsach

Clarsach Member

I like the repair box launcher — as you say, you can build a stash for the yellow guys. You can drop it in front of friends, making it a sort of backup repair bolt. And it’s good for self heal without taking a slot like duct tape. In other words, it may not be as powerful, but it is versatile

Redneck Messiah likes this.