1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

BATTLE BAY GUIDE by @YSL

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by @YSL, 21 Jan 2019.

1. @YSL

@YSL Well-Known Member

Digital Creative Director
    Since I'm a veteran of this game, some people have asked me for some tips on how to get better. Before reading it, keep in mind there are all my personal opinions.

In Battle Bay there are a lot of factors to be considered to raise your gameplay at a competitive level. This guide aims to provide the information needed in 4 important points.

1. YOUR HEALTH
    A lot of people never pay attention to their HP, and die easily. Don't be careless because it's gonna kill you, and in the worst scenario - your team will lose. There's no need to push or put yourself in danger when you're below 4-5k hp unless you're confident enough to take down someone very quickly. Back off and heal up, or go back to your fixer. Then again, only few experienced players can clutch a game even when they're low hp. Don't try to be a super hero. Stay with your team.

2. YOUR GAME SENSE
    It’s literally the most important thing, but what is it? The ability to sense things in games. Be aware of your surroundings and possible outcomes in different situations which can help you in decision making. Think of it a bit like chess players "always thinking 5 steps ahead". Know what your enemy will do is the first part. Figuring out how to effectively counter that on the spot.

• knows where your enemies are.
    • know your enemy. How are they playing. (how aggressive, their loadouts etc)
    • be able to predict enemy moves.
    • know the good map spots.
    • know your position, your teammates position, where to go and what to do.
    • know when to push, when to help, when play defensive.

When you become a good decision maker, you’ll know exactly how different your decisions will influence the match and how to best use it to gain an advantage. Always ask yourself: How do I get better? What I can learn? What do others have that I don't? My aim is good, I can shoot players like a boss, but I can't climb in infamy, what's the deal?

Some tips from my personal experience:
    Community is small and I meet the same players daily. I know their loadouts, which means I know how I can counter them. I adapt my strategy regarding the unfriends. Knowing how people play will help you a lot in your decisions on the field.

Know the game you play. What I mean by that is, many players have no idea the damage of this or that weapon. The strengths and weaknesses of this or that ship. Knowing exactly how much damage a weapon does is important - the reason I’ve stated above (First point): I don’t put myself in danger when I have less than 50% of my health. Let’s say: 4500 hp = Flare (2300 dmg) + EC (3000 dmg with fire bonus) = DEAD. Regarding my experience as a Speeder/Enforcer, I know when I can push, when I have to back off, the damage my Tesla shields can absorb because I KNOW the damage output of any weapons.

3. YOUR LOADOUT
    Don't be careless with your weapon loadouts. It's essential to decide on which types of weapons and equipment you want to invest in. Stick with leveling up weapons that suit your playstyle the most. In my opinion, best loadouts will be the versatile ones. Depending on your ship, don’t go full mortars, full long range, full close range etc. Try to find something that can be efficient in any situation.

I personally use Grenade / BC / Mine on my Enforcer & Grenade / BC / Missiles / Mine on my Interceptor. Grenade & BC for the fire combo, Missile Launcher for medium & long range - walls don't hinder my effectiveness, Mine for the map control. I could use an EC on my interceptor but I want all my cooldowns around 10 seconds - thus I can cycle them and be almost constantly firing.

Then again, these 2 loadouts suit my playstyle (mid aggressive-defensive) thus I consider them the best. If this works for me, it doesn’t mean it's gonna work for you. Try to be as versatile as possible. A common mistake that is always made: Flare + 3-4 cannons on a shooter. It’s one of the worst setups for the simple reason you ALWAYS have to see the enemy, usually out in the open and close enough to your targets to not miss your shots.

4. ACCURACY
    You may be kitted out with all the best gear Battle Bay has to offer, but you’re not going to climb to 6k infafmy anytime soon without the ability to aim at targets and take them down with relative ease. Some weapons like the sniper or mortars don’t require a lot of accuracy due to their speed projectile or their area damage - but when it comes to shot with an EC, BC, Railgun, Missiles etc. It’s a completely different story.

Leading shots on (moving) targets is one of the trickiest aspects to master in Battle Bay and something that can be really frustrating, especially if you've got the drop on your opponent, only to start missing all your shots!

The first thing you'll want to take into account is distance, but how do you calculate how far away your target is? You can't exactly whip out a ruler, so it's largely up to your own intuition to get this right - the more you play, the more your judgement will improve. Know the arc of your weapons - blast cannon’s arc is different than the EC’s arc or the Railgun’s arc. Regarding the tricky Missile Launcher, I highly recommend checking out Waveblower’s Missile Launcher guide on his YouTube channel.

This one goes without saying, but practice really does make perfect. Keep playing and you’ll get better over time.

Another great way of practicing your aim is to play the casual mode. You don’t lose infamy and players usually play more aggressive. Don’t shy away from fights or play it safe, be aggressive and chase players when you're trying to work on your aim. Even if you end up losing the vast majority of duels, it’s one of the best ways to improve your aiming, and you'll gradually become more comfortable with your loadout.

IN SUMMARY

GAME SENSE:
    · Awareness
    · Decision Making
    · Positioning
    · Timings

AIM:
    · Accuracy
    · Control

MENTAL:
    · Attitude
    · Confidence
    · Habits

Movement:
    · Fluidity
    · Dexterity
    · Reaction time​

FLEET PARTNER
    Battle Bay is not a solo game. It’s all about teamwork and winning is always easier with a fleet partner. It depends on your skill as a player but in general I think the people playing solo games are more casual players, they are not that involved in communities and thus do not squad up with others. Casual players tend to be worse players if you look purely at skills since they have less experience and aren't "coached" by fellow players.

Know your fleet partner. It’s very important to know how your fleetmate plays so you can adapt your gameplay.

Trust your fleet partner. Knowing you can play and your fleetmate can back you up and vice-versa. Focus fire with your fleet mate, protect him when it’s needed.

Fleet combos:
    Some fleet combos work better than others.

Shooter / Speeder. Shooter çan provide enough firepower and speeder can play a major role with distracting enemies, assist shots, map control, etc.
    Speeder / Speeder. 2 speeders can be an annoying & powerful when attacking the same target. Their speed is an advantage to flank a player and distracting enemies.
    Speeder / Enforcer. Strength of the Enforcer is its ship speed, Tesla shields and 3 weapons. That extra weapon can make a huge difference.
    Shooter / Fixer. Shooter is slow, and might take a lot of dmg and die easily if it gets ambushed or focused. A fixer as a fleet partner can be a destructive combo. Shooter can constantly DPS, play more aggressive and get healed.
    Interceptor / Fixer. Strength of the Interceptor is its ship speed and its firepower. It’s kind of like a shooter with a nitro. Its weakness is its HP, which means with a healer he can play the same role as a slow - fast ship and get healed.

Variety of ships play a major role in battles.
    A shooter should not fleet with an other shooter – team might end up slow to take fast actions like destroying enemy fixer who run away with 500hp.
    A fixer should not fleet with an other fixer – team might lack of DPS.

––

Feel free to PM me or comment if you have any questions, and don’t forget to subscribe to my Youtube Channel for more Battle Bay contents.
    www.youtube.com/c/YSL02

– @YSL

Useful links
    Fixer gameplay
    Interceptor gameplay
    Guardian gameplay
    Enforcer gameplay
    Shooter gameplay

Last edited: 21 Jan 2019
  2. Ash KOT

Ash KOT MVP

Nice Guide!
    Thanks for taking the time to write it up :D

3. HAPPY SITHSHA

HAPPY SITHSHA Well-Known Member

A perfect guide for beginners and veterans created by the #1 player of Battle Bay:cool::cool:

Last edited: 21 Jan 2019
  4. @YSL

@YSL Well-Known Member

Not only for beginners tho! Haha

#CK, TheAntiSnipe and HAPPY SITHSHA like this.
  5. HAPPY SITHSHA

Also for Veterans:)

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  6. Weeze

Weeze Well-Known Member

So this is how you spent your Sunday instead of carrying me to 6k infamy...

Kidding -- well done, bravo!

7. @YSL

@YSL Well-Known Member

I have a week to carry you to 6k my hubby!

Nikkie!, #CK, TheAntiSnipe and 2 others like this.
  8. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Awesome guide, well done!
    I gotta say though I love my cannon heavy shooter. It makes an excellent brawler with it's high burst damage and seemless cooldown cycle. It is especially lethal when you charge an enemy shooter with a versitile loadout, their mortars and torps become useless at close range limiting them to a smaller weapon pool.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  9. @YSL

@YSL Well-Known Member

Very true. It's brutal when you charge with this setup, but from what I've saw, charging full cannons is like a suicide. At least, someone charging me full cannons has no chance to survive due to my ship speed - nitro. Or tesla shields.

10. Boeggla

Boeggla Member

Engineer
    I would be interested to hear if the top players change also control options when changing the ship...
    Personally i feel like best for me in fixer is auto select and smart targeting, but not predictive aiming. Rotate camera with ship, all others disabled.
    Watching some enfo replays I‘m pretty sure most guys use the camera relative steering though...

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  11. Nicolas

Nicolas Well-Known Member

The best guide from the best player.

@Ash KOT Can we move this thread to Strategy Discussion?

12. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Fair point, any brawler build runs that risk though. Every build has a counter, in this scenario the outcome would depend on yours. If you're running TS, Nitro and a long range build I would be screwed. But if you also have a close range setup it would be a pretty fair gunfight.
    ANYONE who charges blind is signing their own death warrent. You have to know who and when to charge same as initiating any other engagement.

13. @YSL

@YSL Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Nikkie!, TheAntiSnipe, wcc634 and 2 others like this.
  14. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist
    well explained

TheAntiSnipe and @YSL like this.
  15. Leuco

Leuco Active Member

Great writeup - Another thing I would add is the main thing you can to do gain infamy is to improve as a player by finding mistakes you make and not making them again. There's a lot of blame on matchmaking and bad teammates and sometimes you can do everything correctly and still lose, but you can consistently rise in infamy if you have the gear, skill, and fleet partners for it.

TheAntiSnipe and @YSL like this.
  16. R4Z0R

R4Z0R Well-Known Member

lol for me I find that watching comebacks like YSL's on yt helps me to make comebacks in game as well lmao

don't ask me how that works :p
    awesome guide tho!! ill need to find a fellow banana to fleet with now :)

Nikkie!, @YSL and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  17. HAPPY SITHSHA

Hubby?Really? I didn't know that before. I thought that @Weeze is your in-game friend/guild friend:oops::oops:

Nikkie!, R4Z0R, @YSL and 1 other person like this.
  18. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

That was an AWESOME guide. I agree with everything you said, especially about the aiming, knowing the enemy and the strategizing.

I'd also like to add that, personally, if I lose super badly, I tend to go back and very carefully analyze my replay. That has really helped me moving forward.
    Also, I play multiple ships now, taking full advantage of the casual mode. This allows me to get a cockpit view into the ships I assassinate in my speeder or duel in my enforcer. I know the vagaries of each ship. This in turn makes me stronger, because I can both read my opponent like a book and hit them where it hurts ;)

Also, @@YSL, can I put this guide on my strat thread as a reference?

Nikkie! and @YSL like this.
  19. Winter Chicken

Winter Chicken Active Member

Very helpful! Looking forward to an interceptor guide tho:p @TheAntiSnipe @YSL

R4Z0R and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  20. RACK STAR

RACK STAR Member

Ysl...should add one last statement to her how to play guide: Don't mess up in games while on her friends team. Or suffer an ear full. Lol.

With that said...this was an enjoyable read. Well written.

Rack Star

Weeze, @YSL and R4Z0R like this.