1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Post 4.2 Important Updates

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by The Grim Repair, 15 Jan 2019.

1. The Grim Repair

The Grim Repair Community Manager

Ahoy Captains!

We have two important updates to share with you since last Thursday’s latest patch 4.2 was released.

1. Granular Infamy - we changed the Infamy system we introduced with the patch and reverted BACK to the Infamy system before 4.2.
    It is active in game now.
    We made this decision rather quickly after careful review and consideration of our community’s- Your! - feedback over the past days.

We understand the system is not transparent enough and leads to many confusions or bad feelings. That’s of course the opposite of what we want.

We will continue to review and refine the current system!

2. Bandage bug in events - is now fixed!

For referende for those who read about this the first time: there was a bug in game with bandage in Events due to the ship selection and our Hardcore TeamDeathmatch mode.
    What basically happened was, that bandage effects carried over to the other ship, when you died or just selected a ship that has bandage equipped. This was not intended!

We apologize for all inconveniences cause but hope also that our quick reaction has minimized the use of torches and pitchforks ;)

Thank you for everyone’s clear feedback through Discord and our forums - it really makes a huge difference.

/battlewithpride

-Grim & your Crew

2. Suraj69k

Suraj69k Member

Software geek and developer
    I am the first ONE!! And thx for quick update :)

camilo taborda likes this.
  3. Cyberfisch

Cyberfisch Active Member

Thank you!
    My confidence in the developers was shattered and I feared they would be driving this game to the wall.
    The community has been heard - I hope everything will be fine.

HairySpeeder and Agile Vanguard like this.
  4. Suraj69k

Suraj69k Member

Software geek and developer
    yeah the granular infamy or whatever they say it...WAS SCARY:eek:

5. HAPPY SITHSHA

HAPPY SITHSHA Well-Known Member

Thank you @The Grim Repair :);)

Prateek Boss likes this.
  6. Tristan7

Tristan7 Member

Student
    THANKS for fixing these. Did wanna see granular fixed, but its fine, old system worked. System was always okay though lol. Its the matching. Especially fixer balancing we have issues with

Mimmel likes this.
  7. Silverchris

Silverchris Active Member

Nice to have the bug fixed, well done but what about the long term bugs like invisible ships etc take it devs can’t be bothered to fix those?

8. Nomindo

Nomindo New Member

The problem with the infamy update was that it wasn’t working as intended and players could not figure out how it actually worked. Old infamy system unfortunately was also flawed. Since we can’t choose our teams, infamy remains largely a measure of how well the match making system works. How well the rest of our teammates play is completely out of a players control, but dominates how infamy is awarded. Either throw it out entirely or make it 100% a reflection of performance please.

9. Smag

Smag Member

I liked the idea of performance based infamy.. I just have no idea how the new system was working it seemed completely random. Please develop an infamy system that rewards weaker ships more for their performance vs more powerful ships which have advantage. Also punish players that don’t contribute in a battle and especially punish floaters. Ship that does 0 dmg should never be rewarded and should be some negative consequence to them.

Su-57 and Spartacus like this.
  10. Su-57

Su-57 Well-Known Member

Artist

This also need to be fixed . when enter for battle it shows wrong name . it happening in Casual , have not played Ranked and Event because changes are not good . Ranked is fixed but make old style events . no multiple ships .

Attached Files:

11. · LELE DUCT ·

· LELE DUCT · Member

Wait wait..no firebomb nerf?

Nikkie!, Agile Vanguard and envylife like this.
  12. Sifa

Sifa Well-Known Member

So you're saying that this system was the best you could come up with and because it didn't work you're going to scrap the whole idea?

I thought the infamy was supposed to be tied to battle performance and not some super complicated formula that gives out results that look like they could've been pulled by some RNG. I'm sure majority of the community still wants performance related infamy IF YOU CAN CREATE A SYSTEM THAT'S ACTUALLY BASED ON PERFORMANCE. The one we had now obviously wasn't doing that. That's why people were frustrated, not because they didn't like the idea.

How hard can it really be? You're already rating battle performance by the amount of stars you get, so why not tie the infamy with stars? Both winning and losing have three different levels of stars you can earn (3, 2 or 1 stars for winning and 2, 1 or 0 for losing) so couldn't you make it something like this, for example:
    - 3 star win: +24 infamy
    - 2 star win: +22 infamy
    - 1 star win: +20 infamy
    - 2 star loss: -20 infamy
    - 1 star loss: -22 infamy
    - 0 star loss: -24 infamy

You wouldn't even have to create separate contribution judging system to reward stars and infamy if they both were tied together. You could focus on fine tuning the star system if you think it still needs tweaks and the infamy system would automatically follow these changes.

So please, don't scrap the performance tied infamy idea, just do it better :)

13. · LELE DUCT ·

· LELE DUCT · Member

Really really nice....

Winter Chicken and Su-57 like this.
  14. BattleRascal

BattleRascal Well-Known Member

Unfortunately tying infamy to the star/coin system is not a solution either, unless BattleBay removed all ships from the game except for Shooters.

As one of many yellow boat players, the Star / Coin distribution has never been fair to us. These algorithms favor damage dealing ships. I personally don't make a big deal about it, because Star Crates are not of much value anyway(once or twice a year I might pull a FULL epic item, or a legendary piece) and for coins(at least CTF events gave yellow boats an advantage, so it evens out).
    If they were to consider tying infamy to the already flawed STAR / COIN awarding system, then you will have every player who doesn't play shooter showing up with the "torches and pitchforks".
    I have been in winning battles where I did 1000 damage or even ZERO damage because I didn't even have a chance to fire more than a couple weapons due to constantly being targeted by the enemy and needing to cycle non-stop between my nitros and overboost. So all those misses I have caused are firebombs and explosive cannons that likely would have been hits on my teammates.

I personally don't believe a truly fair and equitable infamy distribution is possible based on individual performance. I am all for Floaters getting their rewards cut, but the developers have never shown me that they can accurately calculate how much a fixer/speeder/enforcer/reaper/defender/guardian contributes to a win.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  15. Smag

Smag Member

I agree and that would be so simple for them to implement, though I think it should be 25, 20, 15. Floaters should get 0 always and have a separate metric to shame them and reduce their rewards for future matches until they improve their reliability (like a visible floater penalty flag that they have to earn the right to remove by playing good battles)

16. Sifa

Sifa Well-Known Member

Yeah for sure, I'm not saying the star system is working perfectly at the moment. But idk why it's so hard for them to balance it out..? They have the data of millions of battles so they could sure adjust the triggering damage / healing / other contribution values differently for each ship.

So out of those millions of battles check the amount of damage that's usually required to earn three stars, then compare it to other ships' data and find the number that's within the same % range. That's just for example, of course there could also be other solutions. I know your teammates' contribution has a role when awarding stars but that wouldn't change the idea, right?

17. Shvitz McGergen

Shvitz McGergen Member

I really liked the idea of granular infamy, I think it makes sense. Why not just leverage existing logic that controls stars and coins? Infamy games are worse than heart attacks at this point, you've got 20% control over the outcome and there's a 100% chance that you've got an asshole on your team.
    Also, HCTDM is a gamechanger and a great idea, especially for players like me that have wracked up over 25k games. Gives you something to use all those extra weapons for so thank you for that.
    I also would love the ability to chat messages in the final score screen.
    Also, if I shoot missiles and they hit an overhang above a bunch of ships, can we make it so the overhang collapses and destroys the ships underneath? lol Ive always wanted to do that 1 v 5.
    Always remember, pitchforks and torches means that your community cares. 2.5+ years playing this game and you guys still amaze me.

Prime Lightning likes this.
  18. capphil11

capphil11 Member

The idea of aligning infamy to personal contribution and relative rank of opponents is actually a great one, and I hope the dev team does not give up on it after this initial attempt. There is actually existing research and algorithms that are developed specifically for multi-player and multi-team games that are used for player rank and matchmaking. Xbox uses TrueSkill and now there is also improved TrueSkill2 - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/res...kill-2-improved-bayesian-skill-rating-system/ - which seems like it could be a great fit. It could also improve matchmaking. Would require significant effort on customizing some of the parameters of individual contribution and experimenting with different models that capture the different ways ships contribute (dmg, kills, heals, stun, freezing, drawing and avoiding fire, etc) but with the amount of battle data available to Rovio it is feasible even though not simple.

19. Bunnywabbit

Bunnywabbit Member

I've had a bug happening with my standard cannon
    None of the damage that I deal with it goes to my quests!

20. me123b

me123b New Member

I honestly loved the idea of granular infamy and would like to see it used. The problem was that the 4.2 version was poorly implemented and players with higher contributions would sometimes lose more/gain less infamy than players with minimal contributions (it honestly looked bugged at times). I'd love to see a working version of it implemented at some point.

In regards to the bandage exploit, has anything been done to punish the bug abusers or benefit the players who played fair? I don't mean to whine but those who did take advantage of the exploit clearly performed better and received more coins (and perks/ship pieces) because of their abuse of the exploit.