1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

EventMatchmaker(tm) has lost its mind...again

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by envylife, 5 Jan 2019.

1. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I am on record in these forums very recently complimenting the improved matchmaking in Events. I really enjoyed the 4v4 Event, which I can do fairly well considering my close range combat build. That time is over.

After winning 80% of the 4v4 event, I was dismayed to find myself losing 80% in the 3v3 Event after 20 matches. It made no sense, the event is not that much different than 4v4. I checked Gear Scores and they were within reason, just a few outliers here and there. After 10 more matches it finally dawned on me... in almost every loss my opponents had substantially higher Infamy. It was almost always 2-3 NML players on the unfriends and 2-3k Infamy players on my side. I'm 2500 myself as well as my fleetmates as applicable, and fleeting didn't tangibly change the composition of the teams.

Being that EventMatchmaker(tm) isn't supposed to take into account Infamy, I guess I was just unlucky, 30 matches in a row. In those 30 matches I saw most of the top players in the bay, which is a symptom of an issue I had back in the worst EventMatchmaker(tm) days. Now my GS is better, and GS delta was 1-2k, it was that side to side Infamy difference that stood out. Typically in both my newbile teammates would run out and get decimated by NML players leaving me 1v3 so of course I get decimated being caught out in the open 1v3 with with no support, rinse and repeat, game over.

So let's take a step back here. While NML players have more skill, even with same Gear Score the top players also have the advantage of being able to pick and choose from their vast array of maxed out gear to create an optimal loadout for the specific event. Recently, I have seen top players lowing their gear scores into the 10k range for Events, which makes the matches more competitive, but still in their favor for the reasons I mentioned, and that's all good.

Now with the 5v5 TDM the wheels seem to have fallen off of EventMatchmaker(tm). I've played 3 matches. One match I have multiple 1000-1200 Infamy players with 7800-8000 Gear Score along with NML at 11k GS. Another match I'm seeing multiple high level NML players with 13k Gear Score and 1800 Infamy players with 9k Gear Score, a delta of 4k. Summing up Gear Score by side and ignoring everything else doesn't make a fair match.... only tight Gear Score ranges makes a fair match. I've brought this up this before, and I'm not sure why it has reverted to one of the worst algorithms to date, but I'm not going to spend 5 minutes in a match getting frustrated with this hodge podge of participants.

Please, do better Rovio.

Ultrah, Nikkie!, TheAntiSnipe and 3 others like this.
  2. Mad_Bulls_007

Mad_Bulls_007 Well-Known Member

You should have waited for the update then complain. Because, the Match making is going to be even worse imo. Lol :D Good luck getting a fair game, which comes 1 in 10 games. :rolleyes:

BTW, Ranked games are even more f***** up than Events. I can only dream of fair match making in the coming update.

The Devs are too focused on bringing new contents, leaving all the balancing aside and are creating a bigger problem for the future.

Ultrah, Nikkie!, Sidd gamer and 3 others like this.
  3. envylife

Yea, being down 800 Infamy from my high and barely winning 50% of my ranked matches still feels like something is off. In most games I'd be excited about new content, but the devs have proved they can turn any positive into a negative, like having to acquire 208,680 ship pieces at 100 a pop is a downer. Who wants to bet that the next release will also be a net decrease in progression?

Sidd gamer likes this.
  4. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

What odds you givin? ;)
    I bet against that, I think it'll be a net increase or at least a no-profit-no-loss scenario

Agile Vanguard likes this.
  5. envylife

Considering we have to use 2+ boats instead of 1, you would be betting on a >200% progression increase. Are you that brave?

Nikkie! and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  6. TheAntiSnipe

I'll take my chances;)
    Jk I have nothing to lose, it's a bet without stakes amirite?

7. envylife

I would put up my 2nd Legendary Gatling Gun Perk if I could :D... but it's just for bragging rights.

Closest number wins. My guess: +15% battle rewards. +10% item drop, including power cells and pieces. No change to Guild Raffle or Events. Oh and +50% League rewards because that's only a few things every 2 weeks.

Nikkie! and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  8. TheAntiSnipe

My guess. Caps lifted, season rewards yield full items, RNGs boosted on crates, raffles with multiple boosts(?), containers with more items(?) and star crates weighted by league(that would be fun). Sorry, no numbers xD

Nikkie! and Hellcat_17 like this.
  9. envylife

Without numbers, we are generally in agreement aside from items in season rewards... interesting possibility, but Rovio treats actual items as sacred relics only available if you give up your first born, and complete the trial by fire, bare feet and all. :D

All the items in the world make no difference if you haven't the resources to build them... resources will remain the bottleneck far more than item availability.

10. TheAntiSnipe

I'M DYING LMAOOOOOOO:D

11. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I also noticed a high loss rate during the 3v3. I thought it was mainly down to my boat. I was consistently getting the lowest damage in my games, while Shooters were able to get 40-50k damage each game (even guys 1000 infamy below me). It’s almost impossible to do that in a Speeder, with only two weapons. I think I generally outperformed most of my teammates in terms of ‘surviability’, but that doesn’t help much in TDM, where other teammates can essentially die for you, multiple times.

I ended up switching to my level 10 Interceptor, and actually found it to be superior to my level 47 Speeder, simply because the DPS is so much higher, while the median time between ‘any ship’ on my team dying, remained largely the same.

This is why I’m horrified that they are planning to make TDM ranked. A game mode where high DPS suicide builds outperform: playing smart and staying alive, is not only sad for the game, it’s also a death sentence for about half of the existing ships.

12. envylife

That's exactly it. A kill in TDM is a point for you, and a death is a point for the opponent. First team to X points wins. Being that is the objective, it's inexcusable to have the rating be everything not related to deaths and kills. Let's hope ranked TDM fixes this oversight.

13. oceanescape

oceanescape New Member

Screenshot_2019-01-03-21-47-19-843.png
    agree!

Sidd gamer likes this.
  14. envylife

+15% Battle rewards :: I was obviously wrong there..... +100% is what it is. This is a great move IMO, and even better is the battle reward bonuses for Infamy matches vs casual.
    +10% Item drop :: Now we have an Epic item box each week with 1 Item and 1 Cell. Considering how long it takes to get epic pieces, this is > 10%.
    No change to Guild Raffle or Events :: I was correct there.
    +50% League Rewards :: I hear there is an increase, but I can't seem to see rewards in other leagues... in Ace III I'm still only seeing 1 Epic Piece as a reward for 90% of players, which doesn't seem like an increase at all.

I'm not seeing most of your guesses in this release... season rewards remain the fuzzy item.

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  15. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

Eh, matches usually look more unbalanced than they actually are.
    Screenshot_20190110-183634_Battle_Bay.jpg
    That was my all time top infamy at the time..

Sidd gamer likes this.
  16. envylife

I've only played one HCTDM match so far and my side won 10-2. Afterwards I looked at team balancing and it was very poor... I had 3 11k players on my side, the unfriends had none, and my side was not offset by the token low GS boat, so this topic is still very much alive.

Moreover, now EventMatchmaker(tm) doesn't even know Gear Scores in advance as IIRC players pick their boats after going into battle, though they should be available before balancing occurs, and only for the first boat. Once I actually start playing the event I hope for much better than that poor matchmaking attempt.

17. envylife

I've played more HCTDM and that first match accurately reflected how unbalanced the matchmaking was going to be in this event... most are a blowout. Using only Captain Level as the matchmaking input is laughably unfair to many... and in this event Rovio never built in common sense governors for the multiple ship thing. It's really simple: Force players to choose all the boats they are taking to battle before the players are put into battle. Without that input it's literally not possible to create a fair match or balance sides.

I'm also seeing that NML players have found a handful of exploits they are using, and there's no way for Rovio to react by releasing something new like this on a Friday afternoon. Software devs know better than that!

At any rate, I think the mode can be fun, but matchmaking really needs some work, and as such I really hope HCTDM does not make it to ranked matches without a LOT more trial and error as a Casual or Event mode.