1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

My Experience With the Guardian (Redneck Reviews Part III)

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by Redneck Messiah, 4 Dec 2018.

1. Redneck Messiah

Redneck Messiah Well-Known Member

This is the third post in the Redneck Reviews series, where I review all of Battle Bay's newest content in something resembling a timely fashion.
    Complete series library: https://forum.battlebay.net/threads/redneck-reviews-library.23565/#post-190946

Up on the chopping block today are the Guardian and a literal boatload of teal items. As a few of you who read the hype threads know, I've been eagerly awaiting this update. Spending most of my gold, sugar, and gray parts to acquire a Guardian and one of each new item, plus some levels for each, I plunged keel-first into TDM.
    Firstly, the ship itself. The Guardian is a fine piece of work. The engine sound effect, though trivial, is VERY satisfying. I also find that it looks a bit like a beluga whale, although I doubt anyone cares.The slots feel fitting for the ship and its intended playstyle, and allow for customization. I went with a basic cannon paired with a flare or sniper to keep my DPS up. As for blue slots, I used a big shield, small shield, and turbo, though once I'm healthier I could reasonably swap the weaker shield for a bandage. As for teal items, I highly recommend that all Guardians carry at least one Cleanse Pulse. The other items can be whatever you choose, though I am a firm believer in the Great Wall of Defense.

Overall Opinion: Very well rounded brawler support tank. Able to help teammates while pulling its own weight.
    Redneck Rating: * * * * *

I now call the Cleanse Pulse to the stand. Cleanse Pulses are a PHENOMENAL support item, aiding debuffed teammates without being insanely broken. Pairs well with a Fixer running at least one Repair Pulse... ultimate healing tandem there. The cooldown is a bit lengthy, but if you care that much, there are perks, talents, and the fact that it needs but a single slot point.

Overall Opinion: Must have for anyone looking to play Guardian, and not a bad idea for hybrid Defenders.
    Redneck Rating: * * * * *

Next, we have the Defense Wall. This teal, two point thingy basically turns you into a less agile version of Overwatch's Reinhardt, and I love it. You can protect yourself or some mates. You can lead a charge, lead a retreat, or just sit there and take it while Joe Shooter spams his torps from behind your shield. Bit of a learning curve, and useless at melee range due to its coverage and Guardian's agility, but a very versatile item once mastered. Having a ton of health for it helps too.

Overall Opinion: Very useful item that can fit a variety of playstyles.
    Redneck Rating: * * * *

Our third new item is the Defense Aura. This here item allows you to buff the defense of nearby teammates, and absorb their damage, albeit slightly weaker than the actual damage value (not that i'm complaining... I don't want to die.) This item is fairly good for keeping the others fighting the good fight, and pairs well with a Fixer to protect you from the stuff you're absorbing (especially at higher levels). It's also good for hybrid Defenders, because they have more HP to eat it with. Definitely not the best due to HP drain, but it could be worse... (think no reduc)

Overall Opinion: Not my favorite, but a fairly solid one point item. Cleanse Pulse is still the superior one pointer in my mind though. Medic and/or bandaids advised if you DO use this thing.
    Redneck Rating: * *

Finally, the Bolster Armor. Basically the teal equivalent of duct tape, it buffs your own defense for a while, allowing you to resist damage. It does take up two slot points, but having three of these at high levels would be a little broken. Most Guardians here on Launch Day are very weak, and this item is a major assist for that.

Overall Opinion: Nice boost for weaker Guardians to keep themselves dishing out buffs.
    Redneck Rating: * * *
    This is my rather long winded review of today's huge content drop. Hope some of y'all out there found this review helpful, and see you on the Bay! (through my Defense Wall anyways...)

Last edited: 4 Dec 2018
    JoshW, Ash KOT and Guncaptain809 like this.
  2. SeaNavy

SeaNavy Well-Known Member

In my opinion,
    Cleanse pulse: 4 stars
    Cleanse pulse is useful, but there are some matches which the enemies don't use much debuffs, and in that case, this becomes a waste of slot
    Defense wall: 5 stars
    Good item for defending yourself and teammates with solid hp and area, with the bonus of also sometimes blocking mortars.
    Defense aura: 4 stars
    Teammates take 50% less damage (sometimes pisses the enemies off lol) and instead it's redirected to the guardian for a lesser amount of damage, which is great when trying to keep someone alive, also considering guardian has the second most hp which makes it worth it to use this. Sometimes leads to a quick death though.
    Bolster defense: 3 stars
    Even though the concept is good, I think currently the damage reduction is too low to be worth two slot points. It also can't protect your teammates.

The ship overall, personally, is my favorite ship and I'll probably main this ship once I get higher levels. However, I think this ship is one of the challenging ships to play due to its role and how its items function. However, it needs more rewards.

Redneck Messiah likes this.
  3. super_sonic181

super_sonic181 Well-Known Member

I don't know how useful those teal item was as it doesn't show anything like fixer's healing but we made it to Victory time just by supporting Guardian in both the battles.

Redneck Messiah likes this.
  4. Redneck Messiah

Redneck Messiah Well-Known Member

I agree. One of my main complaints so far is that the Guardian's teals aren't factored into the final ranking. In basically all my games as a Guardian, I tanked my team to a win, but placed 4th or 5th because of all the shooters who got way more damage than I did.

TheAntiSnipe and super_sonic181 like this.
  5. super_sonic181

super_sonic181 Well-Known Member

Yeah, i can feel ya , In all the battle played by me and SeaNavy as fleet (we definitely won cause of his teal buff and defence) but as of low dmg he's always placed 4th or 5th as you said and recieve least amount of coins in every battle.

TheAntiSnipe and Redneck Messiah like this.