1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Guardian first impressions

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by Skirra08, 3 Dec 2018.

1. Skirra08

Skirra08 Well-Known Member

Post here to tell about your experience with the guardian. If you haven't played it yet please don't post.

My first impression is that it is horrible. Granted I was using low level teal items but the issues are more structural vs a result of the item level. First the forward shield is very distracting making it hard to aim and it doesn't extend around the sides so you're pretty much locked into a kamikaze run with it on. Second the thing that reduces fire damage is a pulse not a bolt, so while it does appear to help you it can't be used to elp anyone who isn't super close. Same with the defense buff item. This wouldn't be a deal breaker except that there is no yellow slot so you can't catch up to your teammates so you're pretty much a useless pulsing blue light out there.

On the other hand if I were a defender that likes to charge and fight relatively close up I'd max out the shield wall item and just stick it on there, but oh wait you can't cause it's a two slot item and the defender only has one teal slot.

2. ●H€ll-Blad€●

●H€ll-Blad€● Active Member

Doctor
    dont think the guardian will be of any help.low hp,very low firepower,low agility.....

3. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Just had a couple quick matches, my thoughts:

Guardian
    HP range (2700-12200, +194hp/level) looks fairly decent. While it doesn't have the Blues of a Defender, you have a solid health pool at the top end.
    Speed and agility are great. Doesn't feel nearly as slow and unwieldy as Defender.
    Not sure about the weapons. 3RR limits you to a Speeder style weapon combo but with Cleanse running around, you might lose the buff quickly.
    4TTT is good for variety.
    Engine sound is way, way too loud (at least on Android) - I can barely hear my weapons over it.

Defense Wall
    Two major beefs with this item.
    1. IMHO, the shield should follow the turret rotation, not the ship. As it is, it's only helpful for when you're charging head-on into enemies, rather than trying to strafe out from cover and fire broadside shots.
    2. Much like the Tesla Shield, it's very fragile - but it's a much bigger target. Easy to lob an Explosive shot into.

And a minor request - I think it needs a "shattering" effect when you break it. ;)

Defense Aura
    Interesting potential here to redirect damage, if you have a Fixer on your team they can heal up the additional damage quickly. Get a Defense Aura going, have a Fixer throw down a Repair Pulse, and you could greatly increase survival rates; but without that Fixer or a seriously strong Bandage (being 1pt, you can put this on your Defender) your own HP will get chewed up quickly if you Aura too many teammates.

As a side note though, the damage-redirect effect appears to persist even if you're dead. So if you've only got a sliver of life left, Aura your whole team, reduce their damage by that percentage, and know that your death wasn't entirely in vain.

Cleanse Pulse

The real MVP of the update, in my opinion. Stun hits your Fixer? Cleanse. Team eats a Firebomb? Cleanse. Incoming Frost Mortar? Prep the Cleanse. The drawback here is the long, long cooldown (20s default) - but being only 1pt, you might even want to consider running two of these to really ruin a Firebomb spammer's day.

Bolster Armor
    Defense Points on-demand, anyone? If a Guardian gets tanky enough, they could Defense Aura their teammates, then Bolster to reduce the incoming damage even more.

Additional Thoughts
    I think Defender should get 2 Teal points in its hybrid slot. This would let it use all four items, and Bolster Armor really fits the feeling of the Defender being a "tank" class.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2019
  4. Skirra08

1. Is spot on I kept expecting it to turn with my turret it threw me off. Also it would make it a viable option when running away.

5. capphil11

capphil11 Member

I'm guessing the rationale was that with a 2-slot hybrid, a defender can run a Wall which would make it pretty OP when charging.

6. Guncaptain809

Guncaptain809 Well-Known Member

So to start I just tried the thing after buying some uncommon teal stuff and upgrading it a bit, and the teal slots are very tight, you only get to use one of the 2 slot items and 2 of the 1 slot items. It's pretty fun to use in battle but the debuff spray pulse or whatever it's called only removed about 1 second from burn damage, but that was because it was a tier 1 uncommon. Anyway The Guardian suffers from a major problem and that is that you don't get points for using the pulse or or the debuff cleaner on teammates, both need to give Guardians some points because it's 2 guns aren't enough to provide the point rewards that other boats have. It's even worse than the fixers healing points not being worth the same as damage points. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't yellow boats used to get points for freezing damage? Anyway that's about all I have at the moment so I'm going to continue to get a feel for the boat.

P.S. the Guardian is as much a target as a fixer is except with way more health. The new shield wall is also way better than the tesla shieldhealth wise.

7. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Not game-breakingly so, I don't think. Even a T5E Wall is only good for about 3000hp (plus perks, I suppose, that might push it up to 4000 with four Epics) and it's a big target that doesn't stop torpedoes (or Tesla stuns)

A Defender with 50% damage reduction from a T5E Bolster Armor could be a force to reckon with, and might actually survive a head-on attack into a crowd. Right now, even 20K HP melts really fast in a world of 4K crits.

Last edited: 4 Dec 2018
  8. Guncaptain809

So my question to you Chris, what were those shuriken things in the trailer?

9. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

Shields get emitted from the ships under Defense Aura, similar to how boats with Pulse active get green +'s.

The stars were a placeholder, IIRC, but a bit of a giveaway that there was more going on than just the Cleanse Pulse's bubbles.

10. SeaNavy

SeaNavy Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who's first impression is that the guardian is a good ship? Or is it because I was fleeting with a fixer and anything is an upgrade from the defender?
    Also, I agree that the shield should follow turret instead of ship.

11. Guncaptain809

I share your feelings, I think we just don't know what it's niche is yet.

12. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

I definitely think it's got potential. We'll have to wait until people have been able to get their hands on upgraded Teal items to really see how they will shake out in the current meta, but I think Bolster and Cleanse are the big winners. Aura is an interesting idea but definitely needs to be upgraded heavily to avoid just being a "Sink my ship now" button. Defense Wall could be a major strategic player if the change is made to rotate with turret vs ship; imagine popping one up and swinging it around to protect your fleet from an attacking Speeder.

13. Guncaptain809

Are we going to get a shooting version of the cleanse pulse?

14. CaffeinatedChris

CaffeinatedChris MVP

There's no crystal ball for future changes, outside of what Zeus will reveal in the official Discord server (see the #ask-a-dev-answers) channel.

The whole idea of the Cleanse Pulse was a "no comment" right up until recently, and then suddenly it was here.

So, I guess, "no comment"

15. Guncaptain809

I'm suddenly remembering how obvious your little hint at 3 items was, we just didn't know the difference between cleanse pulse and defense aura.

16. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

With about four matches under my belt(was playing pretty hard yesterday) I'll say this:

I regret scrapping my rare big shield, or I'd be a close-to-endgame Guardian as of now, iten-wise. I literally saved a GAME by eating a burn that was killing my teammate while my cleanse was on CD. I'll say that this ship has ENORMOUS potential. It's 100% going to blow up on the NML scene. Cynics can laugh, but see you in Feb 2018 when the top 50 contains at least two Guardians ;)

I'd say that none of the things it has are actually OP. Cleanse works in a small radius, and the ship has a top speed of 1.51, meaning it can only de-debuff ONE type of ship in a shitfight. Dealing with a Guardian who is not paying attention will be EZ but a guardian that's on point will make you regret touching his teammates. This is no fixer. It's a true bezerker with the speed to back it up with, a force to be reckoned with on the endgame battlefield. If I could play in MY level range with level 10 uncommons, it's just a testament to what the Guardian will be capable of in the endgame. The legendaries we're getting are a nice touch, and with 600 coins a day, one can get them in 5 days(which fits in great with my exam schedule).

Two issues.
    • Support by the Guardian HAS to be counted in a teamfight.
    • The ship needs to stand out a little more, please improve the color scheme xD.
    Overall, a big THANK YOU to the devs for bringing in a REAL tank into the game.

Last edited: 7 Dec 2018
  17. Redneck Messiah

Redneck Messiah Well-Known Member

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  18. Skirra08

I'd say it's a matter of personal preference bib I would think reaper would be the better option if we're talking maxed NML ships. More firepower, at least as hard to kill and more speed. Sure it's nice that guardian can help but at that level it would be a lot of damage to take on.

HAPPY SITHSHA and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  19. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Have you seen AM's Guardian? 18k HP with a 2.8k regenerative barrier. Reaper, no matter what you do, will ALWAYS be vulnerable to sudden swift burst. This ship? Freakin' unit! I saw a dude trolling with double barriers, it was waaaaaaaaay better than TS could ever be. 8-15 is the base level cycle of the shields, you can basically keep two shields going forever! Imagine a super tank with twin energy shields and 18k HP coming at you, team in tow. Isn't that a scary thought?:eek:

20. super_sonic181

super_sonic181 Well-Known Member

Something like this......;)