1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Please stop the Events already

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by envylife, 30 Nov 2018.

1. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Open note to the Battle Bay Devs:

I used to enjoy Events as a change of pace to the standard ranked matches, and a nice supplement to rewards. However, today I'm finding the 6 out of every 7 days of Events as nothing more than a source of frustration, contradicting Battle Bay's core design.

No longer are Events special, no longer do they offer tangible rewards, they simply interrupt what Battle Bay used to be about: skill and progression. Those two words are getting lost in the post-4.0 world.

Event strategies are conflicting with Ranked matches. I see a distinct lack of strategy amongst players in Events as opposed to ranked matches, and it is frustrating to see. That mentality carries over to Ranked matches and causes issues when players are used to 6 days of mindless damage and respawn.

Leagues and thus Battle Rewards are based on Infamy. You can't run Events running 6 days per week and expect the League system to keep making sense. It's one or the other. Infamy is a measure of progression. Events are a measure of grinding for Premium Ships. What you are doing by placing Events first and foremost in this game is adversely affecting every aspect of Battle Bay's core progression system.

Please, take a step back and ask yourselves, If you removed ranked matches entirely from this game, would this still be a viable MMO? If not, then you understand the need for change.

Proposed Solutions:
    1. Easiest fix: Limit events to 2, maybe 3 days per week max. I'm hesitant about 3 days unless NML Reset is raised.
    2. Scrap EventMatchmaker entirely, use InfamyMatchmaker(tm) for events, and have Events impact Infamy. Players need more incentive to play smarter in Events, and I can find no value in the current EventMatchmaker(tm). The League system needs Infamy input.
    I'm leaning toward #2.

2. Fish

Fish Well-Known Member

With a new boat & new item type we are going to need more events to get the upgrade stuff, not less. My prediction is 8 days of events per week is just around the corner.

But otherwise I agree that the events have jumped the shark.

3. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Non-stop events would be my vote. They are more fun than Ranked. Grinding materials in ranked is miserable as you gotta play sweaty every single battle. I play 100 times more event battles than ranked nowadays.

4. benguin8

benguin8 Well-Known Member

Events are optional. Its just that they offer new stuff not found in regular matches so everyone is heading there.

Forasteiro and SlayerofSergeants like this.
  5. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

From what I've observed, people are playing the events more because it doesn't hurt their infamy. Lots of players are content with remaining at the same infamy (especially 4k players) and only playing events because they offer a more casual play-style.

6. Fish

Fish Well-Known Member

I do like that I can play without concern for infamy. I’m very inconsistent so I go into the “tanking” zone more often than I like to admit. At least with events I get my full rewards for playing.

7. SAME DIFF3R3NC3

SAME DIFF3R3NC3 Well-Known Member

Also, as an aside to all that, could we actually get some INTERESTING events!? This 5v5 TDM, with stupid item tweak, has gotten stale. Give us something more objective based, like King of the Hill, to actually promote strategy.

8. envylife

I agree 5x5 TDM is the worst event because it doesn't have enough difference from ranked matchmaking... it would be better excluded from the Event rotation.

I haven't yet seen an confirmation from anyone as to whether it is valid remove Infamy entirely from this game... because that's exactly what many of you are asking for... casual endless events. Without progression what is this game?

9. "har"Smash until the end

"har"Smash until the end Well-Known Member

With infamy matchmaking events,events will be no longer fun anymore.you don't get to try out new weapons and you'll be battling all those ppl with lvl 50 legs again and again while you're using rares in nml.
    The matchmaking system in event is totally fine now in my opinion

TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  10. envylife

You're thinking of old times... matchmaking is NOT based on your boat, or your gear any more... it's based on Captain Level. That doesn't allow you to try out your weak new ships or exotic new under-leveled gear you put on just for questing.

Sidd gamer likes this.
  11. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Oh but it does!

Without infamy to risk, it encourages you to use those rare lv10 missiles you had on the bench for AGES and makes you realize that hey, you're pretty damn good at missiles, you should probably play more missiles.

Plus, if you're skilled, you can consistently win with that lv23 reaper which you can NOT EVEN ACCIDENTALLY use in Ranked because everyone in Ranked has bigger guns.

I think that, instead of nerfing events and making them infamy-based, the devs would do better taking a good, long look at what the HELL is happening in Ranked. Ranked is basically a cesspool now. I walk into Ranked with my skill-oriented speeder and guess what? Mines. Top 50s. Whales. All. Day.

You tell me, man. What am I supposed to do when the game asks me to fight the likes of BlackTail, Ysl, yorkeN just to name a few? Plus, where's the fun in getting threeshotted by a lv50 legendary? Every day? Look, I'm not bad. I won't fail that hard, but I will fail CONSISTENTLY. So what do I do? I pull out my shooter in hopes of, well, putting it bluntly, dropping infamy. Not recommended, but shooter at LEAST stems the losses into an acceptable margin, because I don't feel obligated to make plays.

TL;DR Ranked as it is rn is not really encouraging any sort of skilled play either.

I basically agree with every point you've made, except suggestion 2. For the reasons above.

Nikkie! and Sidd gamer like this.
  12. MGEV

MGEV Member

Remove the tanking infamy penalty so people can play regular games without worry. Matchmaking is not based on infamy now and the penalty was useless then and is useless now. If the tanking penalty serves its purpose, Rovio wouldn't need to change matchmaking method. The penalty only hurts normal players.

13. S2C

S2C Member

I would totally vote the same. Ranked is miserable for me and there is literally no merit to grinding ranked unless your capable of getting into 4k, which I definitely won't be in any reasonable amount of time.

With events I can have fun AND get some decent rewards. I currently don't get either with ranked.

14. Terry Morgan

Terry Morgan Well-Known Member

The Ranked button is in the middle. Press it if u like and leave the rest of us to choose whitch button we want to push! Thank you!

Turkett

Sidd gamer likes this.
  15. TheAntiSnipe

Lmao, good talk, I'd press the dislike button if there was one, so it seems I'm stuck with not pressing a button at all?

Oh wait, look, a shiny reply button! Ooh~

-TheAntiSnipe

Reorge, Jamel H. and Sidd gamer like this.
  16. envylife

You realize you are agreeing with the core of my #2 suggestion? Why are you and I in matches with BlackTail, YSL, yorkeN at all, and their +4000 Gear Score in the first place? Doing what I said, and implementing Infamy in Event Matchmaking ensures you will never see them... and then you can actually compete with equals without being throttled by T5 Legendary weapons.

And yes, this is the key. If I go into ranked at my paltry 2491 Infamy, my teamates are a joke, rushing in battles, and dying out the gate as if they are still playing in an Event... and as a result I can't rely on these guys to win battles. I recently had a couple star quests and I lost even more Infamy trying to complete them, and now if I go to events I'm penalized every match, and winning 100 straight Events doesn't fix that. The system is broken... Events overriding Ranked, affecting Leagues, and NML Reset is backfiring even worse than before.

RACK STAR likes this.
  17. envylife

You obviously read nothing I wrote. Please take the time to read before replying.

18. "har"Smash until the end

"har"Smash until the end Well-Known Member

Firstly.you gotta chill.its getting hot hereo_O
    However,did someone say only those beasts got high lvl leg weps?lots of ppl are using t3 or even t4-5 legs even they're sitting at 4000 infamy.whats the point of playing events if u actually worked hard on entering the nm league and then face strong weps every.single.match just because those whales sat on 4000 inf?;)

Sidd gamer likes this.
  19. envylife

Exaclty... NML Reset resets all those 5500+ Infamy players to 4000, who camp out in the 12 days of events during a league season, and all NML players are stuck in the misery of day 1 of a season reset. There's no time to re-stabilize Infamy, so I'm proposing that Infamy be brought into Events so that it can be stabilized again.

I was killed by a T4 Legendary Sniper yesterday... player was only 10.5k total Gear Score and lower 3k Infamy, so I haven't a clue how they got a T4L, but it didn't bother me because the total GS was around mine. That's how the system should work... but it's less reliable than that... I took out an Interceptor today at 5.7k total GS, got matched up with 8-9k GS. Took out a Fixer at 4.4k GS, played with mostly 9-10k GS players. Again, Event matchmaking is based on Captain Level, and just a touch of Gear Score, sometimes... so you are always at a disadvantage by lowering your GS in events.

RACK STAR and Sidd gamer like this.
  20. TheAntiSnipe

Was referring to ranked and meant that bringing infamy to Events would also bring the NML reset problems to events. Which imho would be far more dangerous.