1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Stop gear score matching before everyone quits

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Terry Morgan, 7 Nov 2018.

1. Terry Morgan

Terry Morgan Well-Known Member

Devs! Please listen to community before you completely destroy this game! Gear score is NOT the answer!!! Ex the defender on my team. https://replay.battlebay.net/BZJTLKMK#WXVMLXZY
    The gear score DOES not complement SKILL as evendent in so many players with high items, yet skills of a sun baked rotten egg, as evidenced by the infamy and games played!! Somehow SKILL level must be factored into matching not just item level. This frustrates the veteran players and demoralises new climbing players. Some better path MUST be found and fast. Thank you for your hard work but this must be addressed before it is too late.

Turkett

Nicolas, HARPO! and RACK STAR like this.
  2. Winter Chicken

Winter Chicken Active Member

I'm pretty sure they stopped gear score matchmaking when 4.0 dropped. I'm not sure what it is now, but it may be a combination of infamy, gear score, and captain lvl

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  3. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Event Matchmaking is based on Captain Level. That's pretty much it.

4. HARPO!

HARPO! Well-Known Member

I’m a Performer! Television and Stage!
    I don’t think gear score is accounted for because of my battle...
    https://replay.battlebay.net/FVQLZWBJ#WBXVCFLX
    I’m trying a new reaper, and it still places me against high infamy players.

Other than that, @Terry Morgan, maybe a helpful tip, you don’t have to listen to me, but when you have someone on fire, don’t set a mine out in front of them, shoot them with your cannon. If someone is on fire shoot them, and then worry about setting them on fire again.

However, how about this for a formula of fair matchmaking @The Grim Repair
    • Win ratio of total wins/total losses + accuracy of total weapons on ship
    • Factor that number into gear score and Infamy
    Also, I think it’d be beneficial if we added an experience bar to the game so that you can upgrade item talents with experience by tweaking them a little.
    • e.g.—you can add a little bit of range for a cannon
    • Increase radius
    • Cooldown
    • Effectiveness of the item in general like dmg, healing, and speed, or health
    • Etc etc
    Maybe this could be a way we use power cells?

Last edited: 7 Nov 2018
    StrictSalmon307 and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  5. Terry Morgan

Not a thread about play style! Be my guest to start one! This is about why the f ck are there constant 1-2 k players in my games vs teams of all 3-4 k players!!! Idaf about mine placement or the items a f ckin 1 k player has. The player is 1 k, not the f kin items. If they suck, then you can give them five heat seeking nuclear tipped torpedos and they will still be a 1 k no skill player that is just easy kills for the enemy team. If this is how it is gonna be from now on then you can have this crap. It's an insult to players that have invested time and money into this game, a true slap in the face!

Turkett

HARPO! likes this.
  6. RACK STAR

RACK STAR Member

I completely agree with this!!!

Seriously not only has event matchmaking gotten weird. It has the double effect of suppressing ranked regular play. Two different Seven day events in 3 weeks. Means Massively good Nightmare players are hovering their infamy at or around 4k. It's completely bung holed the regular mode now. It sucks.

Solution. Make all matchmaking based off infamy. And bring the fair play rules into play on all games. Event or regular mode. Play to win. Also bring captain level caps to prevent higher level captains to appear in beginning level 5 to 20. Keep this buffers zone free of big clubbers.

This will end seal clubbing. Infamy tanking. And players being suicidal in events.

It's the pure solution. And will end the matchmaking crud that's going on. Seriously it's bad enough I consider re retiring.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2018
  7. Terry Morgan

HARPO! likes this.
  8. envylife

You can't disagree with this because it's not matching by Gear Score. :)

Also considering that NML reset still happens, Infamy matchmaking is flawed for most players 2000+, so that's not the solution either.

Dev To-Do list:
    1. Fix or remove NML reset to improve Ranked matchmaking.
    2. Fix EventMatchmaker(tm) by removing the Captain Level matchmaking... that is more flawed than any matchmaking that has been attempted so far. At least combo Captain Level and Gear Score, that's dead simple and reasonably fair.

RACK STAR likes this.
  9. Terry Morgan

You don't understand that gear score doesn't mean diddly horsecakes!!! You can have all t5 legendary weapons and still stink worse than a wet skunk on a hot day!! Someway needs to incorporate ability and skill not just what items/ship you have or if you have a permanent fixer fleet partner to artificially inflates your ability as well!

Turkett

10. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I guess this is what events have come to. No more experimentation of builds and no more goofing around. The stakes are too high. Is this really what the devs wanted, I wonder.

I guess I'll be one of those who'll remember the first three events fondly as the times where cowards didn't optimize the fun out of the game:(

Aether_Zero and RACK STAR like this.
  11. envylife

You're joking right? I'll put on a full legendary loadout and you put on an all common loadout and I'll even give you the first 5 shots for free. You will die before I can fire all of my weapons a single time.

In Battle Bay, Item Strength > Skill. It's a fact. Events were supposed to put equal strength (Gear Score) boats together and let skill win out. Players complained, about NML players seal clubbing in MK2 Ships, so they fixed it... by matching on nothing but Captain Level. I've said this before... but it's worth repeating: be careful what you ask for.

Infamy is supposed to be the skill rating. The problem with Infamy is that Battle Bay manipulates matches, which taints Infamy, if not manipulating Infamy itself (NML reset). There's no true skill measurement in Battle Bay until the Devs introduce equal gear tournaments. That's what I'm hoping for.

However, based on the way new ships were introduced, and how EventMatchmaker(tm) was modified, the Devs have shown that they are no longer interested in expanding the game, making it competitive, or leveling the playing field. P2W players got the buff with the new leveling system.

Aether_Zero likes this.
  12. Terry Morgan

So goofing around is when you have a teamate that rolls out and dies five times before you even have a chance to. Fight? Yay such fun!

RACK STAR likes this.
  13. RACK STAR

RACK STAR Member

It's broken .... infamy matchmaking in general. Anyone seen how many incredible players are still between 3.5k to 4k. Players that have hit 5k before? With maxed epic and legendary T4 weapons????
    This is the point I mentioned about creating havoc and massive infamy suppression for regular players 2k to 4k. This didn't use to be the case. To blame is 7 days events that cross over League season reset.
    Second. Not using aggravate infamy over last 30 games.
    Plus not having infamy caps to prevent crazy wrapped captains from fighting easy ships they have no reason fighting.

Also. Not having a unified matchmaking algorithm for both events and ranked regular mode.

The fact these are two different calculations allows for manipulations. And without events being under the Fair Play policy. U will have what Turkett has described over n over of crazy matches with players who have no business being in those matches.

What players want...
    1) to be matched up against similar level captains, boats, weapons....but this doesn't take in account skill. Infamy does.

2) calculate infamy as the main factor.

3)unify matchmaking for every battle. And make it easy to understand. And punish manipulations.

4)stop seal clubbing/fix the game

Aether_Zero likes this.
  14. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Nay, not that. I'm talking about the one time events went well and nobody was exploiting, back when you could bring a mk4 shooter into battle with suitable gear and expect to be matched with mk4s. Back when winning was a secondary objective and fun was the main objective.

The stakes are too high, as I said. If the devs continue to keep events as the main progression/ship grinding source, I have to agree that your suggestions are going to be necessary.

Terry Morgan likes this.
  15. envylife

The reason 5k players are back at 4k and causing havok with 3k players with their evolved legendary weapons is simple: the NML Reset. Infamy caps wouldn't fix that... this is something done on purpose by Devs.

Since you considering both Matchmaker(tm) and EventMatchmaker(tm) as flawed, what makes you think a unified matchmaker would be better?

I'm having a hard time following what you want. #1 ignores skill as you mention... #2 conflicts with #1. You already mentioned #3 doesn't work. #4 is because both matchmaking algorithms have massive flaws. Fix the flaws, and seal clubbing disappears. Matchmaker(tm) - NML Reset. EventMatchmaker(tm) - Captain Level matching is not good enough.

16. RACK STAR

RACK STAR Member

Already agreed. I said as much #1 doesn't work. Really this discussion highlights the error in both regular and events.

I don't know how to fix it...just trying idea here.

But unified matchmaking would be simpler. No changing landscape between different competitions. And throwing in the fair play rules into events will stop people playing to lose. It's suspendable. Currently events are allowed a Level of leeway and experimentation. Since events are clearly giving better rewards than events. This shouldn't be the case. Events should have stricter rules. Not lighter.

Rack Star

17. envylife

That's already done though. Event matchmaking is based very strictly on Captain Level... it's very tight with no leeway. If I experimented with a weak boat/loadout, I was still matched up with players 1000+ GS higher than my max.

To be clear I really like the idea of Gear Score matchmaking, but the Devs punted on improving it, replacing it with an even worse matchmaking idea: Captain Level

18. Terry Morgan

Ok one small solution suggestion!! Since you can't fleet with any one with more than 800 infamy difference, then you should never have a teammate in any battle with a greater difference of 800 infamy...

Turkett

RACK STAR and envylife like this.
  19. envylife

Haha.. why are you bringing common sense to the argument?

Terry Morgan likes this.
  20. Terry Morgan

Shhhhh! Don't say common sense too loud! Some may bave a coronary!

Turkett