1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Balancing Gear score changes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Miika, 25 Jul 2018.

1. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

I agree with you.
    The underlying concept of GS (ie that items are given a score dependent upon how effective/powerful they are) is sound.
    But there are flaws with the balancing of gear scores which needs rectifying.
    I speculate that there could be a further attempt to improve gear scores in the new update when any buffs/nerfs take effect.

2. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

lvl 8 rare and lvl 1 epic std shields, they have same hp (at least for me) but rare one has higher gs (no perks used)
    turbo is giving too much gs (when perks used)
    lvl 30 rare turbo with with rare, epic and legendary perks has only soonly slightly lower gs than lvl 4 legendary blast with epic speedy and burn perks
    burn perks add too little gs, epic with 12% bonus damage adds only 14 gs
    it's easy to seal clubb when you have strong crew training so you don't need high gs perks, that's making it possible for seal clubbers to be stronger but have lower gs than normall players

3. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Yes, those are the kinds of flaws within the current system. No doubt about it.

Don’t forget, event matchmaking is done by ‘power score’ (which is a combination of gear score and training and possibly other factors) not just gear score. Once gear scores are fixed we’ll be able to make assumptions about whether the element of power score which relates to training is appropriately scored - we just don’t know at the moment as the GS flaws obscure our ability to make that judgement on data that we can’t see.

4. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

I know that power score is used for matchmaking
    but if player with significantly stronger gear is matched with others, then it's not working right
    I met mk4 shooter with 8k hp and full set of legendary weapons, he lost because he got matched with mk5 ships and his teammates did everything wrong
    but I had battles, where even mk1 ships kicked mk4 and mk5 players' a$$, I saw mk1 speeder repeatedly one shotting mk4 shooter (yes, he had kinda low hp, only slightly above 2k) because he had crit chance perks on his t5E and t1L blasts
    mk3 defender charging right into my team and killing us one by one with his carronades (over 1k damage each) etc.
    even when seal clubbers get punished and matched against stronger opponents, it's not fair because they're still stronger

5. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Member

There aren't flaws, it's completely broken. Constantly getting unfair match ups. So hard to deal damage when I constantly die from 2 or 3 hits and they take 8 or more from me. You can't seriously think that crew training is taken into account. Here's my latest game, we won, but I don't care, I hated it, made me want to smash everything. I can't get many coins with this. IT MUST BE FIX ASAP. DON'T RUN ANOTHER EVENT UNTIL IT'S FIXED!

Attached Files:

6. Killer Tugboat

Killer Tugboat New Member

Hi there. Ever since this update I've noticed that even when I've done the most damage and have killed the most ships I am not being awarded stars or my proper gold and sugar rewards. I recent link to a battle showing this is...
    https://replay.battlebay.net/RXBTXKPM#FSHCVKLX
    Please view and respond.. this is a frustrating issue.

7. JhonnyNS

JhonnyNS Active Member

Stop overthrowing your infamy. You are punished for being below the limit (800 less than your best score).

8. Killer Tugboat

I'm not sure what that means... overthrowing infamy... I was doing really well a few weeks ago and up around 3800 or higher maybe.. anyway I never cheat by trying to manipulate my infamy but here I am being penalized for a losing streak. Now I'm getting less rewards and no stars and being matched with higher players making it impossible to get back above 3000.
    I see people cheating everyday and report them but I play honest and feel I'm being punished because lately I've been losing ... really? Not fair.

9. JhonnyNS

JhonnyNS Active Member

Unfortunately, being honest or not you will be penalized if fall below the allowed limit.

10. Killer Tugboat

Yeah I'm realizing that... unfortunately, if they dont find a better fix for cheaters then they'll have honest players like me unsubscribing from the VIP and refusing to buy more pearls and special offers. After 2 years and lots of $ youd think they care more for their customers. Penalize the cheaters. I doubt I've ever even been reported yet I see cheaters here everyday.
    Not fair to good customers!

11. JhonnyNS

JhonnyNS Active Member

There's still a lot to be improved. But you have a good set, so give your best, that soon you will have a good infamy again.

12. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

The only reason Power Score exists is because Gear Score is not accurate. If Power Score is used for Matchmaking, why not make that number visible like Gear Score and Infamy? What exploit is there if Gear Score is accurate and it is the only input to EventMatchmaker(tm)? So many unresolved questions...

13. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Gear score is how strong your gear is.
    Power score is how strong your gear AND training are.
    They are similar but distinctly different concepts.

I would guess that power score is not made public because it is possible to exploit your training and ensure that you’d be able to seal club. In that scenario, I’m happy they keep it hidden.

14. envylife

First off, you are wrong on Gear Score, because it doesn't even do a good job reflecting how strong your gear is. I'll illustrate with my Shields (and obviously being all mine, training is equivalent)

Epic Big Shield - 2422 HP, 872 GS, 2.8 HP/GS
    Legendary Big Shield 1404 HP, 583 GS, 2.4 HP/GS
    Epic Small Shield 1528 HP, 747 GS, 2.0 HP/GS
    Rare Small Shield 783 HP, 629 GS, 1.2 HP/GS

It's easy to see how to "exploit" Gear Score, entirely independent of training, because they all belong to the same player. Power Score does nothing to resolve this.

But again, explain to me how exposing Power Score could lead to exploits, with hypothetical examples. A properly designed GS/PS system would not allow it, and thus no need to hide its deficiencies.

15. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

I've never said gear score was perfect. I've said in many posts that they're inaccurate and have read previous posts (some of them by you) that point out specific issues .

The only people who could explain how the training aspect of power score could be exploited are the Devs (I can't explain a system that I can't see). And it would be counter intuitive for Devs to explain how it could be exploited. It'd be like a tax inspector telling you how to fiddle your taxes.

ShipCrusherCz likes this.
  16. ZeroNegativo

ZeroNegativo Member

it's just me or we are back to the old gear score system? my ship gained 2500 gs points in one night, guess i'll have to put it on a diet

17. USDT~___V___

USDT~___V___ New Member

I would like to add that an epic T5-50 Double shield and epic T5-50 Single have exactly the same Gear Score while being miles apart in health.

18. envylife

IMO a well designed system has no exploits, and I ask because I can't think of any.