1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

The Need To Feel We’re Getting Better

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by YerJokinArnYer, 15 Aug 2018.

1. super_sonic181

super_sonic181 Well-Known Member

It's been 185 days and still i'm playing in masters! :sigh: What to say now? that players in Masters are using t5 epic just cause they got money no skills huh! It's ruthless noow!!! @The Friendly Fixer too left the game just cause he don't see any progress. it's just people who have skills , they don't have time and money (f2p) and people who don't have much skills spend alot of time and money and get upto t5 epic but then you can find them in masters only ..... :sigh: what to say anymore.....

Jamel H. and ShipCrusherCz like this.
  2. Mimmel

Mimmel Member

For me, the progress indication is only infamy. Anything else won’t help much. I haven’t broken my best infamy of 37xx which I achieved with Mk5, though I have mk6 since 2+ months. This fact frustrates me. Getting better gear doesn’t help to improve my infamy. If nightmare reset is set higher and my infamy goes a bit higher, even it can be a temporary solution and infamy is just a relative number, it would make me feel better.

3. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

Up until I reached 3k, I saw fairly consistent progress from week to week. There were ups and downs, but on average I moved forwards. After 3k, progress became a lot harder.

It seems to be the point where you need to make the biggest leaps forward with your gear: upgrading to mk6, transitioning Rares into Epics, which is a very long slow process (even when you have all the duplicates), and during that time, there is very little return in terms of infamy.

I don’t think it’s necessarily because of power creep. Probably more to do with the Nightmare reset. I see some real monsters in my games, and when you’re still a small-fry like me, every hundred infamy feels like a thousand in other leagues.

PastelPiku, benguin8 and Jamel H. like this.
  4. DragonLegend

DragonLegend Well-Known Member

Way to see progress??
    What about some cool titles(& Icon) Depending on your play style.
    One measure of that could be battle highlights.
    Like a enfo who defends friendly a lot Guardian
    Speeder who hits less damage per match in comparison to his kills Assassin.
    Shooter who put lot of fire Arsonist
    The Icons for these title should be made visible on battle screen so your teammates could know you better.
    With this not only we get cool names but also better team understanding.

PastelPiku, Stalie and PallabKumarS like this.
  5. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

As always (or at least a lot of the times ;)) you nailed it on the head. I was just thinking the same thing, but you beat me to it!

Thanks for posting this topic!

YerJokinArnYer likes this.
  6. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Infamy is flawed though... it is like a rollercoaster, it can be manipulated, MatchMaker(tm) even manipulates it. The fact that you can go up and down 25% infamy in a day means Matchmaker(tm) can put together a match with seemingly equal infamy players, but in reality one of them was 50% higher than another just recently, and that doesn't even take into account the fact that I have spreads of 900 Infamy in my matches which makes the potential for lop-sided matches much higher. I'm not even referring to NML and it's reset and OP players, just straight up Ace.

7. Jamel H.

Jamel H. Active Member

This is an outstanding post! I struggle to continue playing this game because I've been stagnant in Ace 1 League for many months now.

The upgrade allowing people to earn better items through achievement was an awesome improvement, but now what?

I created a post called 'Is There A Difference In Rewards For New Players & Advanced Players' but this post better explains my feelings & frustration with lack of progress.

I feel like I could make some progress if I could upgrade my weapons. I'm at 3500 infamy, but I constantly face players with 4k and 5k infamy who have considerably more powerful weapons. This would be okay for a while, but everyone knows that it's a long and slow process to upgrade epic and legendary items.

It seems so unfair that I have 20k in common power cells that I don't use, but I only have 37 epic power cells that I desperately need more of to continue my item progression. For me, I feel like this so obvious and therefore intentional.

How long do I keep playing even though this is my favorite gaming app of all time? It's just more frustrating than fun when daily I earn uncommon and common items that I haven't used in nearly a year, but I might find 2 or 3 epic power cells (sometimes even less) after a week of daily play... and I need 40 to upgrade my next item.

I will probably reach 3650 infamy soon, but then I will start having matches with 5k players with tier 2 and 3 legendary items. I just can't compete and the infamy drop begins again. I once found time to play 30 to 40 matches a day, but because I know I will be facing players with infamy at least 1k higher than my own with items much stronger than my own, I've only played 6 or 7 matches today. After working so hard to reach 3600 infamy, I'm in no hurry to play much more, because I know I will just begin to lose and I won't earn anything worthwhile for my efforts.

Again.... thanks for this awesome thread!

Ultrah, This Is Me, benguin8 and 3 others like this.
  8. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

That's all due to the the NML reset issue. It's really important for the Devs to read through this a few times to fully understand the downstream impact of the 4000 reset... because changes are needed.

ShipCrusherCz and Jamel H. like this.
  9. Jamel H.

Jamel H. Active Member

I don't get the point of having leagues in this game. I've been stuck in Ace 1 for at least 5 months now, because everytime I reach 3600 infamy, I'm matched against Nightmare league players with items far stronger than my own. This makes the concept of leagues so redundant.

Nightmare players are earning legendary parts and pieces in their league, while I only earn epic materials in my league, but I'm sill matched up against them.

Then, if I'm at 3600 infamy when my season ends, to reach top 10 in my league, I must reach at least 3800 or 3900 infamy. And guess what.... I have to face Nightmare league players in order to do it.

This will be the flaw that will eventually cause me to find a more enjoyable game to play. If you're going to have leagues, it only makes sense to match people up against those who are in that league. If a person makes it to nightmare, why in the world would you reduce that person back down to a weaker league? If they make nightmare, they should stay in nightmare despite their infamy drops.

Tmfh67401, benguin8 and Djradnad like this.
  10. Jamel H.

Jamel H. Active Member

Here's an example of how nightmare players abuse the system.

20180827_153817.png
    20180827_153908.png
    How are either of these guys in a match with me? These guys are monsters and I know I've seen one of them with nearly 5k infamy. Now they are at 4k infamy and totally destroying players like myself who are in Ace 1 League and have never made it to Nightmare. This is simply unfair! What am I supposed to do against players that have nearly all level 5 legendary items when I can't even get a level 5 epic shield or turbo after more than a year of playing this game??? Needless to say.... I dont have any leveled up legendary items and no hope of getting one anytime soon, because I will never reach Nightmare facing this type of competition.

11. Jamel H.

Jamel H. Active Member

Lucky enough they were on my team, but there has been plenty of occasions when I was not so lucky and was simply swatted like a pesky mosquito.

12. Hazimi

Hazimi Active Member

IMO, its good that higher up ace 1 have a chance to play with NML player because i can learn from them. I would say that by playing with them could help me improve too before i can finally reach NML. If its hard to go up in infamy, try fleet with NML higher infamy guildmate/friend whose infamy gap not too far with yours (around 75 - 150 difference), they can help you increase infamy.

Here is my example. I fleeted with a NML guildmate and we still can win even when same matches have more NML player in the unfriemd side. Not to brag, but in those matches, i was the only 1 with dominant rare item ( with only 1 T5 epic and 1 legendary) while other were using T5 epic and some number of legend item.

Screenshot_2018-08-28-14-16-36-374_com.rovio.battlebay.png Screenshot_2018-08-28-14-16-06-047_com.rovio.battlebay.png Screenshot_2018-08-28-14-15-21-575_com.rovio.battlebay.png Screenshot_2018-08-28-14-14-53-179_com.rovio.battlebay.png Screenshot_2018-08-28-09-27-48-594_com.rovio.battlebay.png

Tmfh67401 likes this.
  13. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Guys, please could we keep this thread on topic.
    It is a thread about the fact that I feel we need way to be able to easily see that we’re getting better (even if our infamy doesn’t necessarily increase).
    The thread is drifting towards matchmaking issues, and there are already several threads on that topic.

14. Jamel H.

Jamel H. Active Member

Sorry it comes off to you as a matchmaking issue, but for me its about the need to feel like I'm getting better.

It's hard for me to feel like I'm improving when I've been stuck in Ace 1 for at least the last 5 months because I'm being slaughtered by not just NML players..... but NML players that are monsters with level 5 legendary items.

Leagues are a mechanism which shows individual improvement as well, just like infamy shows individual improvement. In my honest opinion, I have not strayed from the topic of this post. I've been stagnant for months and the stagnation did not begin until I ran into the dilemma of having to face NML players that have item strengths that far exceed anything that I even have reasonable hopes of achieving. Simply put, for me, this is an element has stopped my progression in its tracks. Matchmaking alone is not what I'm trying to point out. I'm trying to show why I no longer feel like in improving. If matchmaking has something to do with it, it's not my fault.

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  15. Nicolas

Nicolas Well-Known Member

That is why i always recommend new nightmare players and Ace I players to skip playing ranked games at the beginning of the season.
    @YerJokinArnYer idk if u check my first reply. I think that this is the best solution:

Jamel H. likes this.
  16. Jamel H.

Jamel H. Active Member

I completely agree with you on the league rewards being flimsy in comparison to event rewards. However, I don't think I should have to avoid playing ranked games at the beginning of the season as it's a part of the games design. Additionally, what would I do if there are no events available, which is the case right now. There's nothing else to do but play ranked matches.

17. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Ok, let’s forget about the reason why you think your not improving, and let’s just discuss the term ‘improving’. What is improvement?
    You, as many players do, are considering improvement in terms of infamy. Infamy is a measure comparing how strong you and your boat are relative to all the other players. But because everyone‘ else is improving, you need to improve at a faster rate than the players around you to improve in infamy.
    However, just because your infamy isn’t increasing, I imagine that your boat is continuing to get stronger as you get more duplicates, better perks, stronger gear generally, complete training etc. So my thread is about exactly that - if our infamy isn’t increasing, how can we still get that sense of progression that we know is happening from continued completion of training and improvement of our boat?

Hazimi, ShipCrusherCz and Nicolas like this.
  18. Jamel H.

Jamel H. Active Member

I'm completely aware of what the word improvement means and to suggest that infamy is not a reflection of one's improvement is to ignore the fact that infamy dictates a player's placement in leagues. I guess progressing from masters league to nightmare league is not an indication of one's improvement.

Last edited: 28 Aug 2018
  19. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

So to pick up on a comment I made in my last post, how do you improve faster than your peers? (This is slightly off topic, but I’ll go with it as it seems to be where the conversation is veering to).

The obvious answer is to spend cash. Use it to speed up your crew training, buy boxes to try and get more dupes, or buy event reward boxes to get better perks. However, many players don’t spend in this game, and so that’s not the area that I want to focus upon.

So the other ways you can get better?
    • Become a better shot. Practice, practice, practice. The best players generally have played a significant amount of games and so have a lot of practice aiming.
    • Become more consistent on each map or against a particular type of ship. Try to recognise if there is a map you are weak on or ship type against. Being able to recognise and then rectify such issues will boost your infamy. Consider your positioning on these maps.
    • Self analyse your own battles. What are your strengths and weaknesses? Play to your strengths. Avoid getting into situations that you’re weak in
    • Watch the games of players who have a similar ship/loadout to yourself. Subscribe to their YouTube channels. Imitation is the biggest form of flattery. You may discover tactics that you hadn’t thought of.
    • Consider the weapons you use. Are you strong with all of your weapons, or do you have one that lags behind the others in terms of the amount of damage that it does? Are there other weapons that are more effective than the ones you currentky use?
    • Learn to make greater use of battle commands. Follow X or Help Y are more useful commands than ‘together’ or ‘help’, which are in turn better than remaining silent.

20. Nicolas

Nicolas Well-Known Member

u should edit ur main post, and add some points from ur replies to make it more attractive.

YerJokinArnYer likes this.