1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Balancing Gear score changes

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Miika, 25 Jul 2018.

1. RaistAMG

RaistAMG Member

But they won't. They probably rely on frustration spending from victims, while not interested in stopping the clubber, because that one either is a long term player or a spender, and we should never bite the have that feed us.

2. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

If matchmaking was based on captain level new players would avoid training and spend extra sugar on weapon upgrades. This would still create an imbalance because as their weapons improve they will still be playing the same tier players

3. RaistAMG

RaistAMG Member

Any matchmaking will be exploitable, but one: straight Max infamy matching.

It is the only simple way to do it.

More complex way would take in consideration current, season and Max infamy, but tests would need to be made to weight each of those into the algorithm.

Or, perhaps, a decent and honest policy to punish cheaters and exploiting the system.

As it is, the fair play rules say you need to report in game on exploiters, but when you do so, rovio responses are"we do not care, please don't use report system to report bad players"

4. RaistAMG

RaistAMG Member

Newsflash: you want to make a game mode where people can experiment, therefore, needing to be matched by great and not by infamy?

FINE! JUST DON'T MAKE THIS MODE A HIGH REWARD ONE.

how about a casual battle mode with modest rewards where matchmaking is based on gear or mk or whatever, and leave the UNIQUE REWARDS events A FAIR ground for players? It's IT THAT DIFFICULT a concept to grasp?

5. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

Agreed. If rewards were scaled then that problem goes away, as it exists today somewhat... plenty of MK6's running around under 1000 Infamy.

Captain level isn't good enough either. Specific training for the equipped items, or ship stats, is what matters.

ShipCrusherCz likes this.
  6. Shehryar Khan

Shehryar Khan New Member

That's good !
    You know what ?

I l0Ve it !

7. Topgun....

Topgun.... New Member

Does it realy works....I have gs of 7300 and i m matched against 10000 gs 5000 infamy players....is it fair

8. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Wow, you must be really unlucky.
    There are only available small handful of players with that high a GS and infamy, so you must be the unluckiest player in the game if that happens to you every battle .

PastelPiku and JoshW like this.
  9. JoshW

JoshW Well-Known Member

You know I see this quite a bit. In my enforcer with barely over 4k gs and about the same ship hp I am still able to hold my own against the 6-7k gs shooters I face in infamy battles. It' all about tactics and strategy, if you try to brute force a more powerful opponent you will lose every time.

PallabKumarS and ShipCrusherCz like this.
  10. unhinged jock 368

unhinged jock 368 New Member

Q;WHEN I UPGRADE MY WEAPON FROM ONE TIER TO ANOTHER TIER FIRST IT SHOWS MINUS GEAR SCORE THEN AFTER A SECOND IT SHOWS PLUS GEAR SCORE WHY IS IT SO????
    A:

11. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Member

I think they should base gs on things like dps for weapons. The same item can deal hundreds more damage with just 3 training items for it, why should it have the same gs as someone with the same item but less training. The dps is already calculated, so it'd be reasonably easy to implement. For shields, the gs is calculated on hp and defence. If this approach is taken to all aspects of the ship (including base hp of the boat etc) then it would fix a lot of the problems.

envylife and JoshW like this.
  12. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Basing GS on DPS wouldn't work. It would only work if every shot hits.
    Under your proposed method, mines and big torp would have massive GS (but they rarely hit) but weapons like cannon and sniper cannon would have very low GS (but they very rarely miss).
    Basically you could low damage, high reliability weapons would be OP, and high risk high reward weapons would be unusable.

PastelPiku and What's Up Player like this.
  13. Topgun....

Topgun.... New Member

Last game a 10400 gear score and 6000 ggear score played same match.....if it goes this way many guys will quit battle bay....its mismatched to greatest height...totally unfair

14. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

A couple of questions to think about:
    • What was the gear score balance like for the whole team (not just yourself vs the highest player)?
    • Is the Gs difference like that for you every game, or do you also have games where you have above average GS compared to opponents?
    • With a limited number of very high GS players, if the game didn’t attempt to balance the teams by bringing in lower GS players on both teams - who would the high GS players compete against, and how long would they need to wait for a game?

PastelPiku and ShipCrusherCz like this.
  15. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Member

Actually, that is intentional. Everyone complains about mine spamming, this would be greatly reduced. Torps have high damage and can be aimed, so not the same as mines. I think fire bomb would be one of the hardest hit under this method, but the point is, it represents ones ability to deal damage and to survive. How much damage you can do with those weapons you choose depends on skill. It's a fair match up.

16. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

Ok, with my specific training a L1 legendary mine has about 5 times higher dps than a L1 legendary sniper.
    So say I ran shooter, under a model which scales GS directly with dps, I could run one mine or 5 snipers and still have the same gear score.
    A L1 legendary big torp would have 3 times higher dps than a L1 legendary sniper. So I could run one big torp or 3 snipers and still have the same gear score.
    Napalm would also give similarly quirky results.
    (Dependent upon what training everyone has chosen, those ratios may be slighly different)
    Anyway, have a look at those relative dps’s and consider whether you still think that GS should be based on dps.

I have deliberately chosen items to compare which highlight the most the point I’m trying to make - which is using dps as a basis for GS doesn’t work as it ignores the ease with which each weapon hits.

17. Dilligaf

Dilligaf Member

Maybe some adjustments need too be made.
    You can't automatically give a t4 epic grenade the same gs for a boat with captain level 37 vs 47. The last three or four grenade trainings boost base damage by about 20% and burn damage by 50%. 1 vs 1 with same grenade, but different training, the higher level training wins easily. It's simply not fair to assign them the same gs which is currently what happens. If you assign gs to the crew training, then gs is going to be artificially inflated by crew training that you're not utilising, eg. Felix training for a shooter.

envylife likes this.
  18. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I don't think that's the proposal. The issue is Gear Score for an item is the same whether it's equipped on a Captain L1 or a Captain L50 boat... and doesn't take into account the training, which is like a sh*t ton of extra perks.

I have already illustrated in this thread that Gear Score for shields is all out of whack even for the same player... rather than being based on HP it's based on some magical complicated formula based on Tier, Perks, and Rarity that ultimately fails when a shield with more HP has a lower GS than another shield with lower HP. Same with Turbo... Those are the most elementary cases. if the Devs can't get those right, there's no hope for relative GS on more complicated items.

PallabKumarS likes this.
  19. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

You’re absolutely right, gear score does not take into account training. However, matchmaking in events is done by power score not gear score, and power score does include a weighting for training as well as gear score. Devs do not share with us our power scores for fear that players will try to exploit the system (even more than they do at the moment).

I don’t argue that there aren’t flaws in the current GS’s which require further work. Theoretically power score is a good basis for matchmaking in events, but it does need the scores tweaking. Perhaps devs will update these in the next update (they will have needed to consider gear scores for any items they are nerfing or buffing and for the new weapon, so it makes sense that they would have needed to review them all).

StrictSalmon307 and PastelPiku like this.
  20. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

there are kinda huge flaws in current gs system
    for example some bonuses of of perks seem to be worthless (adding 0 gs) and some are overrated, this makes seal clubbing in events much easier
    and power score is probably not working as intended, NM players with maxed trainings and t1L items should have much higher power score than, for example, lvl 23 player with t2 and t3 rares and epics, yet they get matched together
    or lvl 50 vs me, I need to equip full sets of epic and rare perks to lower difference in power of items, so they have lower gs than me but but they're still stronger

What's Up Player likes this.