1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Battle Match Ups.

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Go Have A Napp, 23 Jul 2018.

1. Go Have A Napp

Go Have A Napp New Member

Hello there.

As I have put in another discussion about the events, I would like to share a suggestion in terms for pairings for battle. As for some here the system works quite well in their favour, but for others they get screwed and left to deal with players not even remotely close to their capabilities.

I like the idea theirs a ranking system like infamy, i think its great, but doesnt boast the best results for getting a battle. Gear score should be irrelevant to finding a battle as that can be easily manipulated by not upgrading your ship and having power low weapons with high crew perks.

My suggestion is that the Matching up for battles goes by captain levels instead of anything else. Example like 1-9, 10-18, 19-26, 27-34, 35-42, 43-50. (Subject to discussion and changes). This way players in the ranges will have waay better chances to find a battle closer to their calibur than just using infamy or gear score or ship type. If a battle takes x time to happen, can grab someone from the post or next set of level ranges to make the battle happen more efficiently. When it comes to fleeting and say your in a lower lvl bracket, it will just favour the higher level player automatically and you will just join them by fleet. Should provide much more accurate infamy ranks and a much healthier battle.

After the rescent event, I have only been screwed over with the pairing system. I know theirs many players in my level range from the event, but i get paired with NONE of them. Screenshot_20180723-104841_Battle Bay.jpg
    Heres me.
    Screenshot_20180723-104847_Battle Bay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180723-104855_Battle Bay.jpg
    Heres the kind of battles i get put in ON MY OWN.
    Its not fair to these people they have a huuge weak link and its not fair to me to put up with the fact im just a fly on the wall in these matches.

Heres people Manipulating the gear score and ship types in the events to easily milk coins.
    Screenshot_20180723-005502_Battle Bay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180723-005507_Battle Bay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180723-005521_Battle Bay.jpg
    Screenshot_20180723-004344_Battle Bay.jpg Screenshot_20180723-004333_Battle Bay.jpg
    I have many more encounters from the event i could just keep posting them but this is just a few. How are people actually in this level range going to deal with high level players showing up with low tier ships and big guns, just to get coins because they cant deal with it in their own ranges? Its one thing someone actually in the level range just spent a bunch of money for a legendary item. its another to have all the crew benefits ontop of it.

Anyone here agree with my suggestion for level based battles? Anyone disagree? Anyone have something to pitch in? Would love to see the opinions and relative stories to this.

Thanks for reading.

Go Have A Napp.

xArrogance likes this.
  2. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

You're basically saying Gear Score isn't accurate. Just lobby the devs to fix Gear Score... then matchmaking works regardless of boat levels, items, perks, and training.

wreck your day likes this.
  3. Go Have A Napp

Ooor, have both work together, say higher captain level gives a base score added to gear score so it reflect the additions from crew. Say every level up of captain gives say 1% score boost, so lvl 50 comes by its 50% base score to all items and ships. This should make a bigger spectrum for score.

Last edited: 23 Jul 2018
  4. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

First off, wow .. your normal matches are crazy - a mk2 with mk4s and 5s.

Anywho, for your event MM idea, I like what where you're going with it. Captain levels are the best way to sort events. Other methods discourage game advancement.

If you base event MM on infamy, you're encouraging people to tank infamy. If it's based on gear score, people will manipulate the formula. Or, if it gets too complicated by trying to calculate captain level as a part of gear score, some players won't be able to match within a reasonable time or they'll be underpowered against their matches.

But, I think hard thresholds might be an issue. As soon as someone hit captain level 43, they'll get on the forum to cry about facing maxed out mk7s and threaten to quit. So, the thresholds would have to vary back and forth some for players to be slowly broken into facing tougher competition.

Or... one could simply restrict players from entering events with a ship more than one level under whatever tier is available to them at their level, e.g., a captain level 42 player could only use mk5 or mk6 boats in events. Afterwards, gear score could assist with MM or team sorting.

ShipCrusherCz likes this.
  5. xArrogance

Looking at your normal matches - they should also work on a special league for the gaming challenged.

If you're still below 500 infamy as a mk5, you're going to the special league with everyone else on your gaming level ... rather than ruining the game for new players.

6. wreck your day

wreck your day Well-Known Member

Enforcer! And future ultimate selfish fixer >:D
    If the matching were done by captain level, events would be heavily biased against those who are pro for their level. Players who are not as skilled would repeatedly get trashed by these experts. Moreover, how would older players who are playing with lower mk ships be matched?

7. xArrogance

Everyone likes to think they're good. Other than comparing infamy with people with the same tier ship, you have no way to find out.

Events could (and should) be a way to find out. The mk5s at 500 infamy don't do as well as the mk5s in nightmare, but that's life. If you're better at something, you'll do better than others.

I understand infamy matches make each match competitive.. and that keeps things interesting. But, sometimes you want to see how you stack up against people at your level .. So, it would be something different. Something new. Something more fair.

Moreover, I already answered how older players with mk6/7s would match using their mk2 ships ... they wouldn't. They should have to level up their ship to a certain level (at least one under the max tier available to them) before being allowed to use it in an event - to keep them from abusing the next generation of BattleBayers.

ShipCrusherCz and wreck your day like this.
  8. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

In my opinion, matchmaking by captain level would be a very bad idea, and a VIP nerf.
    Let’s compare two people, one who pays for VIP and one who watches ads instead, who both play the same amount of games per day. The player who watches ads starts playing the game earlier, but the VIP player gets 20% faster training and so they both reach captain level 20 at the same time.
    VIP does not give the purchaser any additional crates or anything like that, so by the time they reach level 20, the ad watching player has opened more boxes/crates (by virtue of playing for more days), and so (assuming RNG equally kind to both of them) the ad watching player will have better gear.
    So both players will have similar benefits from training, but the ad watching player will be more experienced (from starting earlier) and will have better gear, from opening more boxes.
    A player would be crazy to pay for something which would be giving them a disadvantage for every event ie 3 days out of every 7, and so it would kill a major revenue source.

9. xArrogance

I pay for VIP because it's a time saver. As soon as I die, I go on to the next battle. Over the course of an hour, I can get in 30+ matches with all the extra resources. Yes, someone could watch each match to completion, then spend 30 seconds watching an ad, then go on to the next battle, but it would take them three times the amount of time to get the same amount of resources.

If they're spending three times the amount of time that I'm spending playing BB, then I'd expect them to have better items.

That's the value of the VIP membership. So, I don't think Rovio's bank account would have anything to worry about. But I'm sure they appreciate you looking out for them.

10. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

I too pay for VIP for the time saving issues. I hated watching the ads, and that’s why i started buying it. The other benefits of VIP are just a bonus.

You and I are both at a very high captain level. At this level, players equipment tends to even out (lots of players have T5E gear) and skill is a greater differentiator than at lower levels. At lower captain levels I speculate (I have no evidence to back this up) that gear levels vary more widely.

I agree that you will get through more matches per hour than a ad watching player. But playing more games doesn’t get you more crates (except the star crates which aren’t a great value). To get more crates than a non-VIP, you’ve got to spend cash.

I know from previous posts that you have a good business background. Can you honestly say that Rovio’s shareholders and management will say that anything self inflicted which reduces income is nothing to worry about?

But all that aside, I don’t think that there’s much wrong with event matchmaking that tweaks won’t fix. I run my normal full strength gear and I have so say I’m happy with the event matchmaking. Fine tuning is needed to protect newer players from players gaining an unfair advantage when dropping gear/ship level. But if you matchmake by captain level, the ability to experiment and try new things is destroyed.

11. xArrogance

1. Major shareholders look at the overall strategy rather try to micromanage the small stuff. Changes made to a MM formula in one the smaller games of a much larger company is the definition of the small stuff.

2. The type of people that pay for VIP are generally the type that want to reach the top as soon as possible.

3. If, however, one were looking for an advantage in captain-level-based MM, dragging out training by a few hours here or there isn't the way. They would simply stop training their crew members. It wouldn't be a bad strategy, but it's temporary. They still have to play matches to buy parts, item pieces, get coins, etc. which will force their advancement. Eventually, karma kicks in and they'll lack the crew training that others at their level have.

4. Finally, as I said above, gear score could still play a part. So, I'll still be matched up with other people "experimenting" with L11 epics on their speeder .. but there won't be anyone at my level clubbing on mk2s.

12. YerJokinArnYer

YerJokinArnYer MVP

There are some things in my message that I think you’ve taken slightly out of context, but I’m not going to highlight them as arguing over small points would only detract from the bigger issues we’ve discussed.

I think we’ve both made enough relevant points for people to be able to make a their own minds up over whether event matchmaking by captain level is better than the current system. Thank you for the debate. :)

13. wreck your day

wreck your day Well-Known Member

Enforcer! And future ultimate selfish fixer >:D
    True, true... captain level based events would be an interesting type of event to have. However I would prefer to have it as a different kind of event (like TDM; capture the flag) so we can experience different types of matchups with every event.

Just one thing I don't really agree with: limiting the ships that players can play. The events have given many players; myself included, the chance to experiment with other ships and builds that are underlevelled compared to our main setups. Seal clubbing in events is a big problem that I also do not have a good solution for, but I don't think restricting what the whole population of mid-late game players can play would be fair to them either.

ShipCrusherCz likes this.
  14. Go Have A Napp

Thats why i think the captain level could inflict on the gear score better than just on its own. What kind of numbers do you all up there have?

I use to pay for vip but $15 a month is tooo much. Id rather buy a full game for $15 . and the push to evolve epic items for $70? really? sadly im not a money tree,i dont mind spending like 10 or 20 bucks once and a while but thats rediculous for 1 item.

Anywho, yeah i only gave a certain example for a lvl range. could shorten the high end so its only top mk6 and the 7s playing. but either way, if gear score showed a bonus from captain level i would think the score spectrum should widen far enough allowing those who dont upgrade their ships not get put with the low lvls. say mk5 player with an mk2 still would get more likely thrown with mk3 and mk4 or even in their battle range. it would have to reflect both items and the ships base score. (perks can be excluded) or a finalized multiplyer of some sort. This way people can still ride the ship if they want.

But lets say a multiplyer is added at the total score based on ur captain level (lvl 11 is 1.1x where 50 is x5) so say a lvl 30 is using a 900 gear score ship, well now his gear score is 2700 from the finalize. Which will hugely change where this ship gets placed, even then i think he will still get placed in the small lvl games with the right gear on. 20 level difference is a huge change in benefits to items and possible base health and movement.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2018