1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

(NOT A GUIDE) The Infamous Frost+BigTorp Combo for Speeder (i need advice)

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by Alpakaa, 9 Jul 2018.

1. Alpakaa

Alpakaa Member

Student and part-Time Alpaca
    DISCLAIMER: this thread is in NO WAY at ALL a guide to use this combo! I can tell you right away that it is very, very hard to use. I'm learning it too.

RIecently, I have enjoyed a 900 drop in infamy! I don't care though, because it was spent all learning the infamous frost blaster + big torpedo combo for speeder. 'Learning it,' more like trying vaguely to see if it's possible to make this combo work with my skill level. I'm improving, I guess. Let me give you a little bit of background info: I mained enforcer, which I enjoyed, all the way until 1700 infamy. At around that point, I decided to turn around and say, 'you know what? it seems like a good idea to learn the frost blaster + big torp combo for speeder instead of continuing to learn enforcer.' I really don't know if this was a mistake, but I can tell you that it made me drop to around 800 infamy. But I really don't care at all! This combo is awesome and really fun to use, even if I do lose a lot of games.

I just started playing this combo a few days ago, and here's what I've learned so far. I would like some more advice on this combo, as it's EXTREMELY difficult to use, though I know it can be very, very, very rewarding. Also, the list below are things that I've noticed about playing this, and sort of explains my strategy for it (Basically what I know already). Correct me if I'm wrong on any of them, or something else would be better.

Thing #1. In the beginning of a match, your most important goal is 100% to stay alive as long as possible, as I, personally, lack the power with my big torp to significantly drain someone's health with one shot, I've got to wait until someone is at around 1k health, then I go in for the kill. This makes it really idiotic for me to rush out in the beginning and try and get a kill right off the bat. Instead, I either hide, or kind of circle around my team, averting the enemy team's attention and dodging shots.

Thing #2. It's good to frost a target, then circle back around them, then fire the torpedo.

Thing #3. When you've got a clear shot, the most important thing about firing your torpedo is to make sure they don't know exactly where it's coming from. Once I get a more powerful frost blaster that really leaves people sitting in the water, this will be less of a problem. For now, my blaster only slows them down 30%, allowing them to still dodge my torpedo, so I've got to be really careful with my shots.

Thing #4. It's best to shoot your torpedo from either head-on, or straight at their rear end. This applies mostly to shooters and defenders, as they can't turn as quickly. Don't shoot your torpedo at their sides if you can avoid it, and don't shoot it at an angle, because they can just turn away from it.

Thing #5. Always take out the fixer first!

Thing #6. Don't go out on your own in the beginning. Later in the game, it can be advantageous to flank the enemy, but requires a lot of experience.

Thing #7. Probably the most important: Secrecy is your biggest friend. Walls are second. Unless you're being a support speeder and dodging shots for your team, it's extremely important to not run straight into the enemy team and be like, 'Hey a big torpedo is coming your way! you'd better get into a good position!'

Ok. These Things that I have learned are just things that I do, I'm not recommending that you do them or not, I'm just asking people whether or not they think all of these things are correct and that I should abide by them. Perhaps somebody else might think going out in the beginning is a good strategy for reasons that might've never occurred to me. That's what I'm looking for :D thank you so much! I'll learn this combo even if it brings me down to 100 infamy.

2. c3n3

c3n3 Well-Known Member

I am not a big Torp Speeder, but when ever I get frosted, I always look to see if anyone has a big Torp out. This allows me to dodge fairly easily. My advice would be to have a lesss suspicios weapon out and only equip the big Torp right when your about to fire which gives someone who might not have considered a big Torp less time to react

ShipCrusherCz and Alpakaa like this.
  3. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    Great advice :) I don’t run it myself, but have seen speeders with a std cannon along with frost torp, probably for high dps and the chill cannon perk.

4. wreck your day

wreck your day Well-Known Member

Enforcer! And future ultimate selfish fixer >:D
    I've seen some frost stun torp speeders use their stun first, followed by the frost and torp. Really effective if they do it right! In fact I myself used to be one of them too with a rather unique (aka ineffective) setup of grenade + big torp.
    Here's a funny match back in the old days when fire fights fire :p
    https://replay.battlebay.net/VQBNVHFR#WMCBBYLD
    Unfortunately I was too noob at it, and my torp slowly became weak compared to other ships' weapons as I rose in infamy so I quit frost torping. Now that setup is just a... certificate of participation on display :rolleyes:
    Screenshot_20180710-064517.png
    Yes, that IS a T4 epic frost blaster

Alpakaa and StrictSalmon307 like this.
  5. ChickenSurprise

ChickenSurprise Active Member

Healing you up
    I remember being frost torpedoed a lot mid-game as a fixer :((pre frost nerf) if the speeder could get in and out easily. Then I equipped nitro to dodge the torp at the last sec. Nowadays it's very rare for me to see anyone running this.

6. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

Torping(even classic torping) is a game of blind spots and disguise, just like duelling. If you forget that you're a torp speeder and start engaging targets in the enforcer's "circle of death" maneuver(also the speeder's ofc) , THAT'S IT.

You need to, first of all, unlearn everything about every map that you've played yet. Sounds odd, but it's true. You have rightly noticed that walls are your friend. However, the two "options of engagement" you suggested are not the best. They fall somewhere around the middle in case of speeder engagements.

How? Well, you said it yourself. The best idea to play a torp speeder is to exploit blind spots. Let me tell you, as many might already have, IF your target is frosted before you fire the torp, it's ALERT. It knows that a torp is coming, GIVING you those two options you spoke of(directly front and directly rear). What if it isn't lit up before?

You can, if you're good enough with prediction, fire a torp from an absolute blind angle and hit frost at the very last moment, as a "combo hook" and nothing more. Conditional, but DEVASTATING if you land it right. And ofc, I know you're no beginner with torps, but this video might help. It's an old school torp firing tutorial: (no frost play tho)

ShipCrusherCz and wreck your day like this.
  7. ShipCrusherCz

ShipCrusherCz Well-Known Member

what's the "best" frost+torp setup? any tips?
    I am currently using
    Screenshot_20180722-213253.png
    additional agility from rudder is awesome (sometimes makes aiming really difficult) but I am not sure if it's worth when I have only 2.1k hp with it while I could have 3.2k hp with big shield
    Screenshot_20180722-213249.png
    I was also thinking about my std cannon because cooldown is real issue when using big torp+blast
    what's better?

8. Cavy

Cavy Well-Known Member

For me when I play speeder cool down isn't a problem cos I don't intend on sticking around in a fight popping off shots, I ambush ppl going in and hitting hard then try not to get hit back as I'm heading for cover until both weapons are ready again then go again
    I tried a standard cannon for quicker cooldown but, found it set me up for picking up bad habits and if I could keep shooting I'd Often find myself lingering in the open trying to fight someone who could take me out easily with bigger cannons and more of em, instead of disappearing to set up an other ambush

But I too am still novice lol I have some great moments but a lot of really bad ones too from simply not sticking with the plan and getting drawn into shootouts lol

Last edited: 22 Jul 2018
    ShipCrusherCz likes this.
  9. SupremeCalamitas

SupremeCalamitas Well-Known Member

I don't think it's your business
    Frost launcher and mortars is also a viable setup and easier to learn. Better on enforcer

10. ShipCrusherCz

this might be helpful to everyone trying to use frost+torp, it's 2v2 event and it's not a real tutorial, only replays but it's from @YSL;)

11. wcc634

wcc634 Member

My god. That's not even fair.

12. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    YSL came back?

13. ShipCrusherCz

I don't know
    ask @HARPO! ;)

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  14. HARPO!

HARPO! Well-Known Member

I’m a Performer! Television and Stage!
    No

15. ShipCrusherCz

another video from HARPO!'s speeder week, one of the best speeders in bay, playing frost+torp, insane damage and pentakills
    this could work as kind of guide:)

rexaroni likes this.
  16. Kurd1stan.

Kurd1stan. Well-Known Member

well , it won't be a bad idea if you frost and torp someone even if he has 3k hp (so your team might focus on him because he lost too much hp , and he might get panic so he might try to hide making it 5 vs 4 for 30 sec , but still if you will do that try to be invisible till you shoot , but if you will try this try it in events

a suggestion for the future : ( if you will use this setup for a long time and you if you managed to reach high league (like ace I and nightmare , maybe ace II too) then don't be fooled with the anti frost-torp tactic , when the speeder will torp from a side .

" that is (when you get frosted you go backward and when you know that he will shoot his torp you go forward and because you moved backward he will aim to where you were going (behind you ) and because you moved forward before/when he shot so he will miss you )

so if you find someone moving backward after you frosted him then probably he is trying to make you miss (but not always ) "i do that and it is helpful in most of cases unless there are walls and obstacles near .

17. ShipCrusherCz

that's the reason why it's recommended to fire the torp at his back (lower visibility backwards so enemy has less time to react than when you fire it right at his face), and good frost blasters will slow you by 80% or more so you won't be really able to move anywhere...

Kurd1stan. likes this.
  18. Kurd1stan.

Kurd1stan. Well-Known Member

i know , but many players at my infamy don't know that

19. Help I Cant Swim

Help I Cant Swim MVP

Bravo.. For "not being a guide" this was a great guide. ;)