1. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Can someone explain the spotting mechanics to me?

Discussion in 'Strategy Discussion' started by VidarUlv, 16 Jun 2017.

1. VidarUlv

VidarUlv New Member

Unemployed
    How does the spotting mechanic work in this game? What I mean is that when we play the unfriendly boats are in a "fog of war" where you have no idea where they are, until a friendly gets within viewing distance and then it seems that everyone on your team can see that boat as well. At least for as long as they are within a certain range of the ship spotting them. But how does the spotting actually work in game? What's the range? Do all ships have the same view range? And does the draw distance reach across the entire length of the map?

So if I'm in the south-western corner of a map, I have a friendly in on the other side who can see an unfriendly hiding in the north-eastern corner. Will I still be in range to have his ship drawn on the map for me?

Does the spotting happen instantly, or is the game refreshing it at intervals? So I could in theory if the intervals are slow enough move around a corner where I know an unfriendly is, fire and then start pulling back before I even show up on his screen?

2. Travi5

Travi5 Member

I've noticed that when Im up front and encounter an enemy first, I can always use my sniper. So I am assuming that the spotting range is around 40.
    Also anyone else I see will be uncovered for my team. If an enemy hides or goes beyond my range they will disappear after about 5 seconds

3. VidarUlv

VidarUlv New Member

Unemployed
    Yeah that's what I have noticed too, which is why I enjoy rushing forward a bit to scout with my Enforcer. Letting my slow shooter friends shoot at the guys I spot, while the unfriendlies only get to shoot back at me.

I do hope a developer or someone else with a lot of game mechanics knowledge can cast some light on the spotting mechanics though.

Travi5 likes this.
  4. Travi5

Travi5 Member

Excellent use of the enforcer! This gives time for those shooters to get in the perfect position!

5. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

I think you just summed it up though. As soon as one team member gets in range, all team members can see the enemy, while the enemy only sees you because you were the only one in range.

Btw, spotting range is definitely smaller than sniper range. It's possible to take sniper hits from people that you can't see. Happened to me many times.