1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

1v1 event matchmaking issues

Discussion in 'Bugs, Issues & Inquiries' started by Ahepic, 29 Jun 2018.

Tags:
  1. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    I agree. While 1v1 is fun and all, I've noticed that I've been fighting a lot of mk 6s (usually with higher gear score as well). I'm mk 5. And I've never fought someone below mk 5 either, only mk5s and mk 6s.

2. envylife

envylife Well-Known Member

I've determined that by far most important input into EventMatchmaker(tm) is your highest level item, more so than GS, Captain Level, or Infamy. When @ViscountSniffit pointed this out to me, I disagreed because all my opponents had T5 Epic weapons, while I have none, even in my inventory. Then I realized I had a T5 Epic Big Shield. The problem is I had nothing to replace it to test the theory, then RNGeezus threw me another raspberry yesterday... a worthless Legendary Big Shield, since I already have a maxed out T5 Epic Big Shield and no boat at any level can equip 2 Big Shields.

Well it turns out that useless Leg Big Shield completely reversed my fortunes in this 1v1 event once I swapped the Big Shields, and nothing else. IMO that is a major flaw in EventMatchmaker(tm)... maybe THE major flaw. Once I swapped the Epic T5 Big Shield with a Legendary all of a sudden GS balanced itself out... and Infamy/MK levels went from being significantly over-matched to being slightly under-matched. You can see from my stats that success is directly related to GS more than anything else, which is why it mystifies all of us how Rovio started out with that good idea and then tossed it to the wind, when the real issue they are trying to solve (low level boats with high level items) lies elsewhere in the algorithms.

1v1_epic_shield.png 1v1_leg_shield.png

EyesTv, Miathan, xArrogance and 2 others like this.
  3. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    Yup. I can't use my best weapon (my only epic T4 cannon) because I get harder match ups.

4. envylife

I have no problem using my Epic T4 Ex Canon. For me once I put on a single T5 item, EventMatchmaker(tm) thinks it is reasonable to match me with opponents with multiple Epic T5's, regardless of Infamy, Gear Score, or Captain Level. My loadout is 3 Epics (T4, T2, T1), and 4 T5 Rares.

5. envylife

Right after I posted these mostly positive results I get put against a Nightmare Speeder with all T5 Epics across the board, +3462 Gear Score, +900 Infamy. I still only have a single T4 Epic as my strongest item. The "Nightmare Seal-Clubbing Event" name still holds.

6. GandadT

GandadT New Member

FFS, I don’t mind losing in a fair fight but a fair fight has to be on rep, not Captaincy and not the power of yer ship !

FFS , I mean FFS !

Flint likes this.
  7. Viacheslav

Viacheslav New Member

what fair game are you talking about ?! developers do not care about you as you do not understand !? it's important for them to invest money in the game, and the fact that you can not play with the same opponent to them anyway, otherwise you will not pay! banned the top players from Russia, they found it fair, and the fact that now in the competition can be placed with a MUCH stronger opponent, ha ha ha. this is your problem guys) pay money, buy pearls, pump up a ship and weapons and then maybe you will play normally. you noticed that every time the selection of the enemy is getting worse and worse? Moreover, the perks also give one and the same even if you passed 2 circles to get the gold perk, and even the unnecessary drops out as if specially. so that DEVELOPERS absolutely still care about your money to them) and those who play with the release, and already level 50, they are now just swimming and collecting perks on weapons without difficulty. of course, at level 50 with full cannons and captains against 41-45 level is very simple

8. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

I'd like to have infamy based events :D

Fiorell and Reorge like this.
  9. The Black Rain

The Black Rain Member

Enough said...... E4BC0BFB-DDAA-4290-BFB4-950902CC7416.jpeg

mar5hmello likes this.
  10. Golden Shooter

Golden Shooter Member

I just found a idea which could pobably give a little relief to players who use only shooter ship. I don't know how much it will work for everyone but here is my idea. Just carry a napalm launcher one or two and carry mortar one or two and weapons which hit straight. If yellow boats tries to go through you, just hit a napalm launcher on any area and stay inside the buring area launched by napalm launcher but they can hit you from long or medium distance so carry mortar, sniper, explosive cannon or any weapons which tou prefer having decent range.

11. Mimmel

Mimmel Member

I didn't enjoy this event at all. I actually played only 5 matches and stopped playing. I am a standard fixer and don't have enough duct tapes to equip. I have a mk4 shooter ship. All others are even lower. I played a few with the shooter, but yes, matched against mk5 or mk6. No chance. Ok, some think this is also cheeting as I use a lower level of ship. So, I lost an interest quickly. No more duel!

12. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

Now let some Nightmare players with 4000 post their battle blog, some have won 20 to 30 times in a row.

Apparently, some players are more important than others in this came with more privileges.

mar5hmello likes this.
  13. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

The silence from Rovio is deafening. I so wish we got a reaction what went wrong or it will stay like this.

All events have been manipulated by a group of players with the highest Infamy, probably a bunch of them with the deepest pockets.

If nothing will change, then the end is in sight for the events and it would be a big shame for all the work they have put in. The idea is good, but if we are summond to play fair, then please give us fair matches. If not, then more and more people are going to cheat. That is how people are. If litter is not cleaned up beside the road, more and more people are going to dump their waste there. A bad trait for sure, but sadly that is how a lot of people are.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2018
  14. Y0ur_Fath3r

Y0ur_Fath3r Member

I like how i am mk4 and can lose to an mk1.
    Guess why? An mk1 with tier 3 leggy railgun. Killed me in one shot!!!!!!

15. Flint

Flint Well-Known Member

Deathmatch is easy picking for the normal players. You might as well float and do nothing, you are not going to win anyway.

Better to rename the event from Deathmatch to Nightmare's killing frenzy.

16. Ahepic

Ahepic Member

It's now clear after i didn't get a respond about my question that the matchmaker issue for 1v1 event it's not an issue at all, it's just made to be like that for some purposes
    We can find a lot of successful games companies but not a special one which work for more than benefits
    You are a successful company Rovio.. but....!!!
    I hope for a change

17. envylife

I think the Devs should realize that 1v1 matchmaking is the core template used for 3v3 or 5v5 matchmaking. In other words, without addressing the issues in 1v1 matchmaking there is no way that 3v3 or 5v5 can be improved.

18. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

An important lesson to learn in life is that most things are not "fair."

There are people that are born with more talent or wealth than others could achieve in a lifetime of hard work and dedication. That is not fair, but it is life.

Compared to life, BattleBay is far more fair. Everyone downloads the same game. There is no unfair advantage based on race, gender, age, religion, nationality, or otherwise.

Miathan and Shadow Moon! like this.
  19. xArrogance

xArrogance Well-Known Member

Of course, BattleBay could be more fair ...

Pearls:
    Players have the option to speed up their progress by purchasing pearls. Do they get special boats or items not available to other players; do their ships fire or move faster; are they invincible or can they shoot through walls? No...

So, is it fair that those players fund the development and maintenance of the game, while others enjoy those benefits for free? No. It would be a more "fair" exchange to provide some benefit to those players beyond those available to f2p users.

How does fairness sound so far?

Matchmaking:
    The normal MM formula does a pretty decent job of matching teams with a similar total ability and creating even (and interesting) matchups - as evidenced by win rates.

Matchmaking would be more fair if it ignored your item levels and skill, and randomly assigned teams based on ship tier. The players with the most skill and best items would be more likely to be given other top players as teammates than the current algorithm. Their win rates would be closer to 90% than 50%, and there would be far more blow out matches.

In other words, a "fair" MM system would not penalize you for having more ability (skill and items) by attempting to match you only against those with a similar ability. It would be closer to the 1v1 event MM.

So ... do people really want things to be fair?

Because if the same person did not like normal MM, and did not like the 1v1 event MM, then it sounds like they are confusing "fairness" with their desire to always be the biggest fish in the pond - which is a practical impossibility until they are the biggest shark on the Bay.

Side note: Events are supposed to be something different than the normal game, so it's not a bad thing to use them to experiment with different MM formulations.

20. Sewah

Sewah Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20180703-145342.jpg
    Not fair right?
    Hahahaha

Golden Shooter and Terry Morgan like this.