1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Better defence mechanics

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by aDaes, 21 May 2018.

1. aDaes

aDaes New Member

Hey everyone

One of the mechanics I've given the most thought to since I started playing is ship defence: I feel it has amazing potential but is currently near-useless the way it is.
    My suggestion to make it more useful would be to make it so that instead of reducing a flat amount of damage (i.e, if you have 25 defense and take a 125 dmg attack, you just take 100 dmg), make it so that the higher your defense, the higher percentage of damage reduction you get (if you have 25% reduction, a 1000dmg hit would do 750, but a 100dmg hit would do 75).

To make it balanced, I've thought that the max percentage should depend on ship (Defender would be able to reduce a max amount of damage of 50%, for example, while speeder would have a max possible reduction of 20%), and that getting to the max possible dmg reduction wouldn't be as easy as placing two or three defence perks, but would actually take a while to set up and would have a setback like needing various perk slots.

I think that this would make a huge difference for a stat that I feel is very underpowered, and could actually change the game feels a lot

Thanks for taking your time to read, and sorry if I missed any of the steps to make one of these threads; I usually try to read the rules first but I don't always manage to stay in line.

2. Miathan

Miathan Well-Known Member

You are not alone in wanting a rework of defence, it's long overdue. I'd prefer getting rid of the caps entirely though. They go against customization. If I want to slot all defence perks on my shield(s), I should be able to do so, without some arbitrary restriction.

Edit: your suggested amounts would be far overpowered though, I think better values would be in the range of 1% damage reduction per (epic) perk

aDaes and StrictSalmon307 like this.
  3. StrictSalmon307

StrictSalmon307 Well-Known Member

Professional student
    I like the idea, although 50% is way too high. Maybe a 25% cap for defender?
    This would also be an indirect buff to carronade, missiles, and std cannon because of their low damage per projectiles.

Nam_Nam likes this.
  4. TonyStar123

TonyStar123 Active Member

Instead of just buffing the Defender, why not just add a item in the game that reduce dmg taken by a certain percentage. Therefore, all ship types can have the chance to equip and use it. Its not like the defender can tank a million bullets already.:eek:

5. Miathan

Keep in mind that defence is perk based. A defender would need to swap shield HP perks for defence perks, meaning that they could easily lose a few thousand HP in order to get this defence. Would it be a buff? That depends entirely on the numerical value of the defence. It can be balanced.

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  6. TonyStar123

Yea still a defenders take FOREVER to die. You got to keep that in mind;)

7. StrictSalmon307

Professional student
    It would be a buff. If it was a percentage damage decrease vs hp increase and it took the same amount of hits/base damage to kill, then the percentage damage ship would be easier to heal because (I'm assuming) the percent decrease wouldn't apply to fixers. As a healer, it takes a lot of time to heal a defender, even when they only have 10k hp because they take the same percent damage as the rest of the team usually. If it was a percentage damage decrease then the health of the defender would be smaller so I could heal faster.
    Also UwU

aDaes likes this.
  8. aDaes

aDaes New Member

The caps per boat are to keep boats like speeders or shooters to be able to take a lot of reduced damage while still being able to shoot a lot or move really fast, although I guess the amount of blue slots on each boat make up for that; in general, though, they'd be to avoid getting a 100% reduction by getting a lot of perks.
    I don't disagree that the amounts are kind of high, but if they are too low it'd be kind of the same as it is now (as in, close to no reduction), with a few exceptions. Still, thanks for the input :).

25% sounds about right for defender. I'm basing this off other games' where a 75% reduction is not enough to save you from getting one-shotted, so that's why I'm exaggerating slightly :p.
    And yes! That's kind of my intention with this; I don't think carronades should be completely blocked off by 20 defence points at lower levels. It makes carronade quests very hard to finish when your carronades do 20 damage and all enemy boats have 15+ defence.

StrictSalmon307 likes this.
  9. TonyStar123

Dude some caroonade do like 100 to 200 dmg. Just nerf everything!

10. aDaes

aDaes New Member

That kind of makes defence even a worse thing the way it is :p. At low levels it's overpowered against some weaker weapons, but at higher levels it's completely useless even against the weakest things.

11. StrictSalmon307

Professional student
    It's a buff to carro, not a nerf. Also mine does like 90 damage :(

12. TonyStar123

Well you got to think it through for every tier of battle in the game. Making carronade being able to ignore the defender's defence it make like the fire and long range weapons. It will probably be the defender's worse nightmare.

13. StrictSalmon307

Professional student
    Defenders will still be able to ignore 25% of the damage. It'll just be a normal weapon if this is implemented.

TonyStar123 likes this.
  14. Miathan

I know this, which is why I said it depends on the numerical value of defence.

15. Craigjnoble

Craigjnoble Well-Known Member

When you get it to high levels and can finish of defenders with it it’s like the ultimate slap in the face.
    Mine does 189 per hit (and rising) with slows as it’s on a fixer. Even with a defenders def it’s still ouchie

16. TonyStar123

The thing is carronade only takes about 5 seconds to reload. So just imagine a super close shotgun. In my opinion, it is already op if people know how to use it properly.

Nam_Nam and StrictSalmon307 like this.
  17. Craigjnoble

Craigjnoble Well-Known Member

Yep, I have my t5e and already started on another Epic one. Dealt with many an assassin speeders with them, so I thought I might join them.
    That 189 is per projectile.

TonyStar123 likes this.
  18. Hokuse

Hokuse Well-Known Member

Personally i don't like that. HP and defense should be for different purposes. Right now HP is powerful against burst weapons, defense is powerful against high dps, sustained damage weapons. I used defense perks on my defender long time and it was good. Especially with a mighty fixer it worked great than HP. But when i reach to nml i see that everyone using burst damage weapons and my defender wasn't great anymore. So i kept playing only speeder. Because of that defense seems weak to you. The problem isn't about defense, the problem is about overwhelming burst meta.

19. TonyStar123

If you can't beat them, join them. ;):cool::p

20. SeaNavy

SeaNavy Well-Known Member

https://replay.battlebay.net/QPYCKBCK#SGPZQWBM
    I died in 9 seconds after the first shot that hit me.
    And I have high health for my infamy.