1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

This is why Sniper is Broken

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by ViscountSniffit, 4 May 2018.

1. TheAntiSnipe

TheAntiSnipe Moon's haunted

I know about reverse, and I know about all the little tricks speeder has. Trust me, I made Ace 1 in a speeder with a gearscore of ~6500, and before that, Ace 2 with just t3 rare reds. BUT sniper cannons are hella tough to dodge.

Not easy. At all. You have to have the reflexes of an eSports pro to dodge those buggers. And y'all are looking at someone who uses a binitro build. For me, one sniper is okay, two is a headache to track and dodge, and three is a death sentence.

"Using the waves" is something I used to do. However, with the vertical compensation update, many mechanisms that allowed for this have gone down, leaving only maps like subzero that allow for consistent sniper dodging with this tactic.

I highly recommend the swerve-reverse-v or whatever it's called(@Snapshot mentioned the name to me) for sniper evasion at very long range. It throws off auto aim if you time it right.

Also "Git gud" is not a counterargument;) I don't mind the long range charasteristics, since I always try and mostly succeed in hiding effectively against snipers, but the closerange charasteristics HAVE TO BE toned down. The sniper cannon NEVER EVER MISSES SPEEDERS at close range. With the excannon, you atleast have a coupla milliseconds to change your aspect and hopefully make the shot land in water, but sniper cannons are deadeye accurate close up, AND if they're epic t4s, it's GGs to any mk5 speeder. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I meet epic t4 sniper cannon users in every battle in Ace 2 and 1.

Nikkie!, Ultrah, A55A51N and 3 others like this.
  2. Fiorell

Fiorell Active Member

I see in the video that EC needs to be nerfed. It hits the defender with nearly -1300 HP without even a crit (and it will do splash damage and it reloads quicker than SC). The SC hitting you without a crit does -409 HP? What a joke.
    Maybe that's because you have won that match.

3. TheAntiSnipe

Oh really? Viscount fights at an infamy where that much damage is necessary to SURVIVE, plus it is a twoslot weapon. What were you expecting, 200 damage?:D

Nikkie! and A55A51N like this.
  4. TheAntiSnipe

I agree here. The million dollar question is, "Why oh why have the developers not spread out the talent tree?"

Nikkie! and wreck your day like this.
  5. ElMataC

ElMataC Member

At this point I just hope the devs will keep up using their minds instead of being guided by some angry player.
    Other than people saying things as they perceive it I don't see any constructive criticism in this thread. Devs usually don't provide us stats to speculate and discuss on, but on this Sniper topic we have received some informations by them, and they get up straight up ignored (except for one single response that conflicts with the responses from other Nerf demanding players).

Edit: I can agree though that it might feel more powerful at earlier infamies since it gets all its talents unlocked at low captain level

Rainbow Warrior likes this.
  6. Fiorell

Fiorell Active Member

Ok, more serious, I think the SC is indeed an anti-scout weapon because of its high range. It's also an anti-speeder weapon because of its high projectile speed.
    The question now is: Is it ok, that such a weapon exists in the game? Is the long cooldown enough to counter its pros?

Hokuse likes this.
  7. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

You’re kidding right? The EC cooldown is 14.4 seconds, which is painfully slow with only two weapons. Compared to Sniper’s 11.1

Nikkie! and A55A51N like this.
  8. Jasper21

Jasper21 Active Member

Errr.. EC reloads quicker than SC?? o_O

9. Hokuse

Hokuse Well-Known Member

Yes you are right. There is no problem about sniper in long distances in my opinion. Sniper exist because that job. It is cheap cooldown and slot points than its friend rail gun. Because of that sniper has a luck to deal high damage. It is OK. My only problem sniper isn't lose any of its strength in closer ranges. Sniper can 2k deal again in even point blank. Rail gun loses a high damage when you hit enemies in close range. Ask yourself please where this is fair?

10. Fiorell

Fiorell Active Member

I think that is the main problem: Getting frustrated. Sure, I'm only in the 2200 infamy range, but I also get this feeling sometimes. It's when you are advancing and you die within seconds in a volley of crits (not only SC but also explosive cannon and blast cannon - and don't tell me about the big torpedo sneaking up from behind).

And maybe it wasn't a good idea to give SC both, a long range AND a higher crit-rate (edit: as well as the possibility to increase crit damage). I'm using a single SC and I would be totally OK with a reduction of the crit-rate to normal levels and an increase of the base damage. This would make SC simply a long-range, long-cooldown cannon (which differentiates it enough). I guess a lot of people would still use it.
    Then the devs can apply the higher crit-rate to another weapon, e.g. standard cannon (e.g. use the talent tree to add some features to that weapon). For example you could add talents where the player can choose to do the 'crit build' or the 'utility build' for that weapon.

Another way would be to reduce the effect of a crit. Sure, people get a rush when the big damage points appear on the screen. But they will also feel it if the crit does only increase damage by 50%.

Last edited: 5 May 2018
    TheAntiSnipe likes this.
  11. TheAntiSnipe

Exactly my point, why does the sniper cannon, a LONG range weapon, not lose anything at close range? Why is it that you can equip three of them without needing an excannon in Ace?

12. TheAntiSnipe

You don't? I say decrease its close range capability. I also said that the talent tree should be spread out. It is UNFAIR that both blast and ex cannons need ages to go to their full potential, but the sniper cannon maxes so early. It is UNFAIR that sniper cannons crit equally at close range even though they are long range.

Fine, name ONE weapon from any PvP game that is long range and suffers no penalties at close range.

Nikkie! likes this.
  13. Fiorell

Fiorell Active Member

I often get very frustrated with SC when unfriendlies are closing in. Most of the time, shooting at them does minimal damage and then you have to wait ages until SC is ready again. It's only the times when you get two or more crits in a row where SC has any real usage in close range. Sniper can deal 2k damage, but it more often deals 400. And on paper, this is fair.
    As someone already pointed out, you don't FEEL like this is fair, because you are remembering the match where you got hit by two crits in a row and not the other two matches where you were hit by two lame 400 damage shots and survived.

14. R4Z0R

R4Z0R Well-Known Member

• Screenshot_2018-04-24-23-11-43.jpeg
    • aaahh STAWP TAWKING ABOUT DA WEPEN WICH I ONLY HAVE AT UNCOMMON ONES AT BEST :(

Nikkie! and TheAntiSnipe like this.
  15. What's Up Player

What's Up Player Well-Known Member

I used to hate snipers, even used to think they're OP.
    Equipped double tesla shields, they won't spread out the tree.
    Now I'm safe, they can't touch me,
    Do the same brother, and you'll be free.

:p

16. Fiorell

Fiorell Active Member

Yep, you are right. My fault, the SC cooldown is shorter than ECs.:confused:

17. TheAntiSnipe

You have a mk6, unfaaaaaaair~

18. TheAntiSnipe

Lmao

Nikkie! likes this.
  19. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

It’s so frustrating.

You start the game being forced into cover, having to hide behind rocks and walls (maybe even pick up a crit or two), because of Snipers. And you’re thinking: “they may have the advantage now, but just wait till I get close...”

So you creep forward using cover, until finally you’re close enough that you ‘probably’ won’t miss. And then before you can even line up your shot PANG! you take a huge Sniper crit point blank for 1000+ damage. They don’t even need to lead at that distance, just click > hit.

It’s unbelievable, how they are just allowed to dominate the entire game from start to finish.

20. A55A51N

A55A51N Well-Known Member

Student
    To clarify some thing at least from my perspective

I don’t want sniper to be nerfed like frost or tritorp. I don’t think nobody does. There aren’t that many options for long range, and sniper is the easiest to use and is cheaper than railgun. And it’s fine, if the cheapest, easiest option didn’t also do ridiculous damage at every range. Lrm is hard to shoot at short range, railgun damage decreases but nothing happens to sniper (and the earlier 2 are also a lot harder to aim at long range). Sniper also doesn’t have any drawbacks. Now, decreasing its long range capabilities is an option. But it is a sniper afterall, and it should excel as a long range weapon, and have a drawback like rg. Since most of its damage comes from crits, nothing else should be done exept decreasing the crit chance at close range, like railgun. That wouldn’t kill the weapon, because it still would have its excellent long range damage.