1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Infamy For Individual Ships

Discussion in 'The World of Battle Bay' started by RangerCA, 1 Jun 2017.

?

Should each ship have individual infamy ratings?

1. Yay! I think it would improve matchmaking and make using a variety of ships less punishing.

19 vote(s)
    90.5%
  2. Nay! Infamy should *only* be used for overall performance; not for each class.

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. RangerCA

RangerCA Member

Greetings,

@aaaxxd had made the suggestion in another thread recently to give each ships their own infamy rating. I really liked the concept of this since some people aren't really as great at some play styles as others, but don't necessarily want to feel forced to never used that class if they don't want to make their team lose.

An example for my advocating this: I am terrible as Defender, but I still do want to play it from time to time. I stopped playing it again after 2 rounds because both times we lost and I performed below average on my team. If I played as a Defender exclusively, I would probably be ranked several hundred infamy points lower than my current score. As much as I like to mix things up with the classes, I do not want to use it knowing I would be a detriment to my team compared to if I used the other 4 ships I am at least mediocre with.

I can see the technical challenges for this. Seasons would have to be reworked (unless a composite infamy score would remain), it might complicate matchmaking, etc.. Regardless, I think this an awesome suggestion that deserves its own thread.

Edit: reworded "[...] if they don't want to lose rank." to "[...] if they don't want to make their team lose."

Last edited: 1 Jun 2017
    PØW likes this.
  2. DB_

DB_ New Member

This would be hard to implement and increase the number of people with completely overpowered weapons in the lower leagues. It is very good in concept, but overall it would take a whole lot of tweaking to the existing marchmaking system in order to make possible.

Perswayable likes this.
  3. Perswayable

Perswayable Member

Very good summary. Imagine a tier 4 epic sniper with 25-45% crit chances at 300 infamy range lol.

The Otherguy likes this.
  4. DB_

DB_ New Member

Ya man, and I was thinking, they could potentially start all of your ships off at your current infamy, to reduce this problem, but it kinda defeats the whole purpose, you'd take lots of losses on your weaker ships before finding your niche

5. RangerCA

RangerCA Member

Good point. Didn't really think about that.

That might make for a chaotic start if they didn't start you out at your composite infamy like you said. At the same time though, this sort of unbalance should very quickly fix itself as matches are played if they don't. To an extent, I already see people with very powerful weapons in my rank anyways. I only have rares so far, but it's not uncommon for me to see people with epics in the mix.

Another solution would be to have weapons scale with your tier to a small extent like MMOs do, but that would cause problems as well while also demanding a lot of time to implement.

6. ChillyMoose

ChillyMoose New Member

I agree with this suggestion.

Even in lower ranked play I always feel like I am restricted to my defender because that's the only bot I can win with.
    Obviously I could probably learn others very quickly to get up to the standard of my defender since I am only in lower ranks but.
    I sent really want to have to play 1 ship all the time just to progress past the first stage of the game in a short period.

7. Winkleberry5

Winkleberry5 Active Member

My suggestion for you is to drop defender for speeder after you can get MK4 speeder.

8. David Bonaparte

David Bonaparte Active Member

I love this idea, and I wish other MOBAS would implement it more strongly as well. It would make matchmaking feel more fair, and it reduces the impact of people trying out ships willy nilly. Season's wouldn't need a big rework. You could make it similar to Hearthstone (which has 2 ladders) and reward players based on their highest tier. Let people fight others at their skill level and they learn a bit quicker. Of course, there will be issues with more experienced players matching up for their first few games with newbies, but that will go away eventually, and the divide will be less than before i think.

9. Kitterini

Kitterini Well-Known Member

The stats of lvl 1 legendaries does show that the devs arent concerned with this kind of imbalances though.
    ---
    But yes, I also feel abit dirty when I give my speeder some games. Its fun, but not pretty nor beneficial for my team.

Perhaps a more realistic suggestion would be to reduce the hefty gold requirements for leveling up ships beyond the first. Being able to play alts (at a decent level) increases game longivity and freshness!