1. Hey please check out our new forum Suggestions and Ideas found in the area "The Bay" - as we love all your ideas and want to collect them in one place, - please use it going forward. :) Thanks already for helping to make Battle Bay an even better experience. Remember: If your idea already exists - simply add your comment or like to an existing one so we avoid duplicates.
    Dismiss Notice

Has targeting changed?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by ViscountSniffit, 18 Feb 2018.

1. ViscountSniffit

ViscountSniffit Well-Known Member

I don’t know if it’s my imagination, but my target seems to be jumping around a lot more since the update. Has something changed?

Maybe it’s just more noticeable, since now if I miss with my Ex Cannon or Tesla Bolt, I might as well park my ship, and go make a cup of tea, while I wait for my next shot. But I seem to be sending a lot of shots wide because it jumps to another ship just as I hit fire (even when the other ship isn’t centred). I tried sticky targets, but then it was too sticky and I can’t change targets at all.

2. FearsomeChicken

FearsomeChicken Well-Known Member

I've been using sticky targets for many months, after the update the target jumps around when ships are too close to each other. Definitely something has changed.

ViscountSniffit likes this.
  3. Trium

Trium Active Member

The aiming at battlebay is the most distracting game element.

It is just extremely uncomfortable. When there are a lot of ships near you, hitting the ship which you want is a real challenge.

Developers should definitely somehow improve of rework the aiming.

For example, it would be nice to be able to lock the aim on a ship by tapping on it at the top.
    Or it would be nice to have a button, which would disable sticking at all.

Because now when you try manually to focus on the desired ship, the aim may stick on the other ship.

4. PastelPiku

PastelPiku Well-Known Member

Security
    Yes, I want locking on or no locking at all. I hate how when I'm not locked on it still follows targets. If someone ducks into cover and I'm watching that spot knowing he'll come back out to shoot me, by the time he pops out my turret is turned around and facing someone else, even if I force the camera to stay where I want it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I despise the auto-aiming feature. Lock or no lock, that's it, I don't want something in between.

Babablacksheep and Trium like this.
  5. TheFixer27

TheFixer27 Well-Known Member

A boat

6. PastelPiku

Security
    Nonono not this part lol. I'm ok with the vertical leading, it (kinda) helps me shoot people who are riding up/down waves (sometimes, when it doesn't totally throw off my aim). My concern is with the auto-lockon system.

When you lock onto a ship, the little icon turns green and your turret starts following your target. But if you're not locked on, it still does exactly that. The only difference is that without locking on it's less picky about sticking to one person, and aims at whoever is closest to where you're looking. I hate this because when I'm not locked on, it's because I want to aim somewhere else, not at the target.

Sometimes (often) my target is out of sight, just for a moment. I'd like to still look in that direction and not have my turret forced away from where I was looking. So many shots into the walls because of random turret snapping. I just wanna see straight! Devs please, make it an option to unlock and aim at nothing! The only 2 options currently are "locked on" and "kinda locked on" (and snapping from target to target).

Valkhadin likes this.
  7. Snapshot

Snapshot Well-Known Member

I agree. I have sticky targets off and yet it is still "sticking to targets". The situation is so awful in my speeder that target lock is an absolute necessity in order to be able to see anything. Otherwise my view is jumping around so wildly that there's no way I could process any visual information. Yup, I've adopted target lock not as a way to lock my target but more as a gyro stabilizer for my camera.

It feels like sticky is stuck on.

PastelPiku likes this.
  8. ViscountSniffit

@The Grim Repair what’s going on? I’m sure my target never used to jump around like this, unless ships were very close together. Now it’s jumping to ships that are barely in my periphery, it’s ridiculous. How do I change it back?

9. Miika

Miika Game Lead

There was no other changes to targeting than the vertical auto-aim. Have you checked if you have disabled sticky targeting accidentally?

10. ViscountSniffit

I don’t use sticky targeting, I never have, because it stops me changing targets easily.

Something must be different. Before I might lose a target to a bounce, once in a hundred games... it seems to be happening every game now, multiple times.

Crashedup likes this.
  11. PastelPiku

Security
    It's actually always been a problem for me. It seems sticky whether it's toggled on or off.

12. ViscountSniffit

Mine is the opposite of sticky. I’ll be pointed straight at someone, and the target will just start veering off towards another ship, and then bounce. Even when they’re right in front of me, it won’t ‘stick’ at all.

I tried playing with sticky targets on, but that’s even worse, because if it sticks to the wrong target, it’s really difficult to break it loose.

Crashedup likes this.
  13. ViscountSniffit

@Miika is it possible that the vertical auto-aim interferes with the stickiness of the target?

I haven’t noticed any benafit from the vertical auto-aim. I’m still missing ships point blank because they are higher than me on a wave. The only difference I’ve noticed is my target not wanting to stick to ships right in front of it anymore.

Please could you add an option to turn whatever has changed off?

Last edited: 20 Feb 2018
    Crashedup and PastelPiku like this.
  14. Crashedup

Crashedup Well-Known Member

I am experiencing same problem it is making me miss my shots

ViscountSniffit likes this.
  15. Miika

Miika Game Lead

It should not be possible. It was literally just few changed lines of code to apply vertical offset based on how the water height changes. This is the only change done in the update to anything remotely related to aiming and targeting.

16. ViscountSniffit

It’s difficult for me to test exactly what is happening, but it seems to happen when you’re aiming. Is it possible that the vertical offset is making it think that you’re trying to move the crossshair away?

17. Crashedup

Crashedup Well-Known Member

Does it feel like the aim of ur crosshair is set a little higher than it used to be?

18. =Fee_KlocheTTe=

=Fee_KlocheTTe= Member

I totally agree with ViscountSniffit,
    something has changed in aiming/stick on target, my sights are jumping way more than before also,
    I did not notice changes in vertical auto-targetting (i don't even understand this upgrade as it's part of the gameplay)
    here is a little example of sights jumping with no reason, very annoying
    I wannted to finish Yanij but my sights moved to ICE ROCK

Crashedup and Disguised like this.
  19. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Well-Known Member

I'm having trouble to adapt to long range with the vertical auto aim, I just keep leading my shots when there's no need to do it. It'll take some time, but I'm eventually going to be adapted to it. New players are probably going to love it. :D

20. =Fee_KlocheTTe=

=Fee_KlocheTTe= Member

Worst example would be when you are in duel with a big defender close to you ... and your sights jump to another ship multiple times :confused: ... RIP